Mondial 3.2 fuel pump question | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 fuel pump question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by F1Sal, Jul 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Sal

F1Sal Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    #1 F1Sal, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    I have a 1988 3.2 that has been dry stored for many years. Everything was drained and was stored as proper as could be.
    My question is really about how the fuel pump is activated. Should it run or at least have power to it simply by turning the key to the on position or is is it activated once oil pressure is established?
    I have not yet started it. I'm running through the systems first. Looking at proper functions of key components.
    When tested with volt meter I have no power to it with key on not running. The fuses are all good and show power in the panel.

Sorry to ramble! I'm just establishing where I am in the process.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It will have power as soon as the key is turned on. If the car is fitted with an alarm / immobiliser then it may not run until the immobiliser is reset. They usually fit the immobiliser into 2 circuits like pump and ignition. Easy to bypass if u still have an issue

3. F1Sal

F1Sal Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    I don't see any alarm system installed. Could that be factory 1988 3.2 option or after market?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, just key "on" will not supply +12V power to the fuel pump. You need to have either:

1. starter motor cranking, or

2. key "on" and safety switch open (unplugged).

Try a search on "blue safety switch" for threads about finding and unplugging the safety switch.

5. F1Sal

F1Sal Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    Will look for that info. If anyone here knows feel free to chime in.
    Thanks

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You can energize the fuel pump by turning the key to the run position, then press down on the air vane. Pull off the air filter box to access the air vane. When you press down on the air vane, it will trip a switch, and you should hear the fuel pump running.

If the car has sat unused for many years, the fuel pump is probably seized from rust. When you apply power to a seized pump, too much current will be drawn, which will cause a fuse to blow.

7. F1Sal

F1Sal Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    Got it.
    Thanks,
    SS

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If its got an alarm / immobiliser it will be fitted in the passenger footwell. It is usually on the reverse side of the plate where the passenger rests his feet. Not a factory item but insurance requirement