F355 M5:2. Fuse to accelerometer | FerrariChat

F355 M5:2. Fuse to accelerometer

Discussion in '348/355' started by Klas, Jul 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Which fuse is connected to the front accelerometer? It's not stated in the fuse-drawings, but I think one of the fuses for other items in the front fuse box has double jobs.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Which one, Klas?

The horizontal sensor gets its power from the Bilstein Control Unit.
    The vertical sensor gets its power from the AC System fuse (which would affect the instruments (including speedo/tacho), aircon, etc)

Sorry, no easy solution here.

Here's the circuit (Note that the immobiliser wiring is still to be completed)...

1997~ 5.2 Suspension System

Cheers,
    Ian

3. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    This is the dtc I have:
    "0410 Acceleration sensor line h disconnected"

Does it mean "h" as in horizointal?"

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The other possible accelerometer fault message is "acceleration sensor line L not connected", so your logic may not be valid (unless L = vertical in Italian or German).

If you read the manual, you will see that the horizontal sensor only has two states: Open or closed circuit (no acceleration = open circuit). The Bilstein ECU probably can't distinguish between the line being open circuit and the car not accelerating.

Have you tried any wiring checks yet? e.g. plug A pin 2 to earth (ground)? If it's closed circuit, you have a problem with the horizontal sensor (or your car is parked on a very steep hill). :D

5. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    No, will do wiring checks as "disconnected" can mean bad connection i.e. oxide on a pin. (that was the fault on a door mirror when the adjusting mechanismen did not function) Also, when you stated grounding, you mean the LR coloured wire to the Bilstein A2 pin.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I mean one ohmmeter probe on the blue-red pin and one ohmmeter probe to earth. If you have access to the suspension ECU in the passenger footwell, remove harness plug A, and check the resistance of pin 2 of the harness to a good, known earth. Normally you would expect infinity (unless the diagram and manual are not correct). If there is a relatively low resistance, there could be a shorted wire or faulty sensor. A few weeks ago, I could have confirmed this on my car (it was in pieces). NB: I would advise disconnecting the battery when working on the unit. There is a direct line from the battery to plug A.

To be honest, I would suspect the vertical sensor as being faulty, but it probably has a more complex circuit inside and I wouldn't know how to check it. I seem to recall a post on the forum regarding the internals of the vertical sensor (but I can't find it).

Unless you plan to remove the fuse/relay panel in the forward luggage compartment and start disconnecting plugs, there's probably not much more you can do (other than removing the front bumper to access the sensors).

Anyway, please let us know how you go with the horizontal sensor wiring.

Cheers
    Ian.

7. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Thank's for good input. I'll let you know when I have investigated more.
    BR / Klas

8. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    #8 Klas, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Which is A and B? The connectors are yellow and green but yellow seems to be A.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, Klas, not sure. The plug with the least amount of wires is plug "A". Is this yellow?
    The "A" plug has 8 pins not used. Plug "B" only has two pins not used.

Cheers
    Ian.

10. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Good point. Will check, but I think I'll measure in the other end at the accelerometer as I want to check the connecor status there anyhow. Can be oxide there. The connector pins are extremly tiny to the control unit.

Also, from where comes the speed signal to the system? Maybe that one is failing as the code says "no signal"

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The speed signal comes in on the white-yellow wire, plug A, pin14 (from the speedometer). The engine ECU also uses this signal. I assume your speedo is working.

12. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Aha. Yes it work fine, so then is not a speed signal fault.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    ..... unless the wiring from splice 30028 to the suspension ECU is faulty. If you have multiple messages and they're all associated with plug A, there may be a damaged harness.

14. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Yes, can be the wiring, but I have only these 3 codes:
    0410 Acceleration sensor line h disconnected
    0408 Right rear actuator locked (works)
    0404 Left rear actuator locked (Repaired by CaptainZ)

By that I suspect the accelerometer (vertical or horizonal?) or its connections

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #15 Qavion, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Sometimes a wiring harness runs though a firewall or bulkhead where chafing can occur. Sometimes only a few wires are affected. However, the suspension actuators use plug "B", so it's more likely that you have individual problems.

Can you follow the harnesses. Do A & B merge for a short period, then split up again?
    Do you have a wire tracker? See this message thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/525227-seatbelt-warning-light-cabling.html#post144749818

(Edit: actually, looking at that non-related message thread, there is a photo of the suspension unit and it looks like the harnesses go in different directions.)

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Klass, did you confirm that plug "A" was yellow? If so, I can add this detail to the wiring diagram.

Thanks

17. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Long time since last time in this thread. Been busy with other stuff...

Anyhow, the yellow plug is the plug with the diagnose connector 40020 to the Bilstein CU. So, A seems to be the yellow one.
    Have also started over now again to find the problem for the light on issue. Took off the front bumper to check wiring from the accelerometers and they looks ok and ground signals was ok. Also sent one more suspicious actuator for rebuild to Captain Z. Not got it back yet.

Hard to follow if the A and B wiring are merged somewhere. Have not a wire tracker - yet. Just ordered one.

Qavion likes this.
  18. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    ....Some more details

The circuit in the horizontal accelerometer is open.
    Found that the pins and cable colors not are similar as the wiring diagram in this thread to the A (yellow) connector

Seen from above connector A has

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

G L VH RB X MV ZN HB H X X VH N
    LN Z RH X X X X X RL NG R VH N

14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

X = empty

Maybe EU spec. (German) is different but why should it differ?

Qavion likes this.
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Klas. Strange indeed. The workshop manual diagrams are based on Euro-spec, so I don't know why your colours and numbers are different. I can't recall if I checked my colours/numbers.

I'll mark the "A" plug in yellow on my diagram. I'm not sure what to do with the different colours and numbers. How did you assign numbers to plug "A"? Is the plug marked with numbers?

This seems ok (as per the diagram).

If I add the workshop manual wiring diagram numbers to your plug chart, I get this:

G L VH RB X MV ZN HB H X X VH N
    LN Z RH X X X X X RL NG R VH N

There are 7 different coloured wires (shown in bold letters). When I get the chance, I'll see if my Australian car has the same colours.

Here's my diagram with yellow added to plug "A". I won't change the colours until I compare it with my car (5.2 Australian car)

5.2 Suspension Diagram

Cheers
    Ian.

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Well, Klas, a year and a half later, I finally got the chance to check the wire colours on the Bilstein suspension ECU and it looks like your colours are correct (apart from a few wire main colour & stripe colours reversed). I confirmed this with photographs. I started to add the colours to my diagram and found errors in the diagram (some my fault, some Ferrari's).

I've adjusted the colours to:

MN Z RV X X X X X LR VG R VB N

BG L HV BR X MV NZ HB HG X X VH N

The wire on pin 14, was pretty faded. It could have been the Ferrari diagram's white-yellow (BG), rather than your yellow only (G)
    I confirmed the wire on pin 15 was blue only (L) rather than the Ferrari manual's blue-black (LN).
    Etc...

For future diagnoses, that should be the yellow Bilstein ECU plug's pin 9 to ground. i.e. the blue-red wire. Only the blue colour is visible in the photo.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Note that the yellow case has been removed from the plug to view the wire colours.

Here are the 2.7 and 5.2 car amended wiring diagrams:

F355 2.7 Suspension Wiring Diagram

F355 5.2 Suspension Wiring Diagram

Thankfully, I seem to recall you sorted out this problem in a later thread.

Cheers.