456 Headlight motor | FerrariChat

456 Headlight motor

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Andrew D., Jul 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    R headlight wont rise. Can pull it up manually and will go down when switched off. When trying to go up hear some grinding in the gear assembly. Any replacement parts that would work from other vehicles. Anyone rebuilds these? Cant see any used ones for sale at this time.

2. number46

number46 Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    London
    Its the same motor as the rear spoiler. Its used on a Volvo, not sure which model, but if you search the 456 cross ref. parts at the top of the thread you should find the info.

3. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I've been looking for the left lift motor. No luck in the US or UK yet.

4. Ferraridka

Ferraridka Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Post #62 in the equvalent part thread:

5. Ferraridka

Ferraridka Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
  6. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Based on my cross-reference parts list:

Headlight Motor LH Ferrari #174159 Bosch #0 390 206 414 Right Headlight Motor Volvo 480

Headlight Motor RH Ferrari 173965 Bosch #0 390 206 413 Left Headlight Motor Volvo 480

7. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Thanks for the help. Love this forum

8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is really great! There is a knob you can turn to raise and lover the unit. But can be difficult to open/close the hood during this........ I hated the 456 sometimes fiddling with those lights....

9. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Asgor, you'd be doing everyone a great service if you'd post this info in our Cross Reference Interchangeable Parts thread here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/456-550-575-sponsored-bradan/394955-456-550-575-cross-reference-interchangeable-parts-source-thread.html

Thanks!

10. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Thank you for the kind words! Actually the Cross Reference Interchangeable Parts thread is exactly the location where I obtained this information from in the first place ;-)

I suspect that thread has been getting a bit convoluted and searching for the correct information isn't as easy as one would like. For this reason I have assembled a cross-reference parts spreadsheet that is much easier to search. Here's the public link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bymrv0QdjZzXaUZqY3hhRE9GclE

Also, in the same vein, I am re-posting the link to a list of Bosch parts that are shared between Ferraris and other cars (and we all know they are MANY). Here's the public link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bymrv0QdjZzXNVFOeHEyTDB4bVU

Hope it helps!

HMH likes this.
  11. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Sorry to revive this thread but I may have found a brand new drivers (LH) side headlight motor and I’m curious - does anyone know if the motor itself is universal and it’s just the arm and linkages that set whether it fits on the drivers or passengers side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    #12 asgor, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Considering that each side has its own part # I suspect they are not the same unit with swapped-around linkages. Best way to find out is probably to take a good look at the two existing motors currently in your car and note the differences.

Curiously, if you do a Google search for, say, 0 390 206 414 the results describe a Bosch wiper motor. Perhaps the motor is the same as the one you are looking for - just a different application? Worth looking into.

13. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Interestingly, according the local Volvo guy who specializes in the 400-series (model 480 has 'our' lamp motors), the left hand motor is exactly the same as the right hand motor and interchangeable. So if anyone can please take some pics of an original Ferrari motor, left and right, I would be grateful. I need a left hand motor and need to know what is should look like.
    Thanks!.

14. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    The motor and assembley is from a Volvo 480,the flip up model not sold in North America. THEY CAN BE GOTTEN ON EUROPEAN SITES. THE PART THAT USUALLY GOES IS THE PLASTIC WHEEL THAT ROTATES THE HEADLIGHT INSIDE THE HOUSING. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF LOCATING A SOURSE FOR THESE WHEELS(COGS).Will contact this site if I solve the source. Volvo no longer makes the part for the pop up headlights.

15. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks guys. I just ordered the Volvo and will take copious pictures of both when arrives

16. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I needed one too and ended up buying a secondhand one from a member off of the Volvo 480 Club forum which is based in The Netherlands.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    any update on this?

18. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Agreed, would like some sort of verification the Bosch numbers ordered worked.

19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    these are the same as the volvo 280 (?) headlight motors.....

my google search and inquiries were not able to source a motor for sale

the wiring usually breaks under the hard glob or crap they slab on the side/rear of the motors - which can be fixed

much easier and cheaper to find a tech with basic auto electric experience

20. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    The lift motors are the same for the right and left headlight (and for the rear spoiler). I know because over the years I replaced a bunch oft hem.
    They were also used on the different models of the Volvo 400 series, not sold in the US (was manufactured in Holland for Volvo in the former DAF factory).
    Unfortunately these motors are pretty much extinct, save perhaps for some to be found in the demolition yards around Europe.
    The parts that usually go bad, as far as I was told are the diodes, but there may be other weak points as well.
    If you run the number in the Bosch website, the description that comes up is "window lift", but an almost identical concoction was also used by Bosch to operate wipers.
    If indeed these motors-gearbox were used for window lifts and wipers, then Bosch must have a replacement for them, but it does not come up in the searches.
    Another open question would be: what if we bring our cars to Ferrari Classiche ?
    How would they solve the problem? It may be worthwhile ask that question to them as they may have a shop able to refurbish these units.
    If all else fails, what about adapting a similar device sourced from other cars with pop-up headlights (some Trans-Am, Corvettes and Hondas used to have them): has any one tried that avenue?

Qavion likes this.
  21. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    They refunded as didn’t have the motor evidently. I’m still looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Adrian Farinato who is a member of Fchat has a fix for this problem

23. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    They are very repairable.
    Only if the motor itself burnt out would i say that may be beyond saving.
    They are available from some of the companies that part cars and i can repair them otherwise.

24. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    After repair, how do you protect them against water ingress/corrosion?

25. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    Early repairs i used a hard sealant/potting compound.

Now i use a silicon based one, that sets fairly hard but still has a little of give.
    Plus the gasket is replaced and the plate is given a smear of sealant.