new tires for my 575M - Pirelli or Michelin? | FerrariChat

new tires for my 575M - Pirelli or Michelin?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Jul 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I'm having major belt service on my 575M. Tires have good tread but too much age. Heart says Pirelli P-Zero Rossos since first owner of my old 365GTC speciale was Pirelli CEO Leopoldo Pirelli and Pirelli compted me a set of tires for the car many years ago.

But I have heard very good things about the new Michelins.

Bear in mind that I will not track the car except for regular 'parade' laps at the Glen and Lime Rock. On public roads, including surrounding Adirondack 2-lanes I drive assertively but not aggressively - tho' SWMBO might dissent from this view.

What say this panel of experts?

2. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I am also looking for tires and glad you asked this question. Currently have P Zeros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    No expert but my vote is Michelin. PSS (they now have a newer version, forget the name) handle awesome with a surprisingly nice ride.

4. ko23

ko23 Karting

May 6, 2015
    Michelin Pilot Super Sports have been great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    Where do you all find the best deal of tires? Tire Rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    To tell the truth, Morgan, I buy them from my Ferrari dealer. They do good work, treat me well, charge me fairly, a 10% discount since I'm an FCA member and I don't mind if they make a few dollars more than I might pay Tire Rack.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    MPSS has been replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which is available in correct sizes for 575Ms with 19" wheels. Even better than my MPSS tires, which are great.

8. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yokohama for the 550s Wear like steel. Grip like hot tar.
    I have about 20K miles (2 seasons) on these and they are great.

Michelins next choice.

Perelli wears out so fast that it is hard to justify the cost.

9. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Switched from P zero's to Michelin Super Sports a while back much better tires.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I performed a slightly inadvertent experiment on the subject of the two brands in the OPs post a couple of months back. Normally when swapping tyre brands we are replacing at least 2 and sometimes 4 worn/old tyres for new ones of a different brand - not a fair comparison. But my 550 had MPSSs and my 575 P Zeros, all of them less than a year old with little wear.
    Swapped the MPSSs onto the 575 as general view (and my experience) was they are much better and I drive the 575 more.
    My view is, they are, but it's not as straight as that.
    P Zeros felt harder, sharper, even if they didn't give as much feel or grip.
    MPSSs much more progressive, more feel, but feel softer, give a better ride.
    Think Fabio The Unjustly Banned told me the Pirellis have harder sidewalls which would explain it.
    MPSSs better all round, and I wouldn't swap them back, but elements of the Pirellis I miss.

11. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    When I had my 550, I put on a set of Continental Extreme Contacts. Excellent all-around tire -- quiet, smoother ride, great value, can't fault handling at less than 9/10ths!. (Seth: see you car often at Black Horse Garage in Bridgeport. Great history and love the color.)

12. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Michelin! Are you listening? I hope the PS 4 comes out in 18" size soon for my 575 and of course the rest of us with the 18" wheel. GTS Bruce

13. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    MPSS is wonderful I question how an all season tire
    Can equal it in any catagory.
    The treads alone must be noisier and stiffer sidewalls must make them ride harder.
    I drive gently most of the time Very hard and fast less then 10%
    Of the time. No track use...

14. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Michelin all the way.

Don't even consider the Pirelli.

JSP likes this.
  15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #15 tazandjan, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    The 4S is not an all season tire, regardless of the name. From Michelin's site.

Michelin®
    Pilot® Sport 4 S

Genuine Passion. Exceptional Drives. Derived from the legendary MICHELIN® PILOT® Super Sport, there is a new #1 in max performance summer tires.

Funny, when I use Michelin's site, it recommends Sport Cup 2s, which are DOT approved track tires, which are also available in 19" 575 sizes.

16. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Right Taz

Pilot Sport 2
    Pilot Sport 3
    Pilot Sport 4 (S perhaps for Super ?)

Daniel

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #17 Themaven, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    To Taz's point: this weekend I am driving (for review) a GTC4Lusso press car. 3000 miles, on its second set of tyres. Door sticker says Pirelli but it has been reshod with PS4s. The unofficial reason: they are better. I have no yardstick to measure the car by, but it's pretty hard to unstick, and overall handling is great. Feel like great tyres.

On another note, I have a long X country drive tomorrow in the car. Asked myself tonight, which would I rather do the drive in: this, or my 575. Clear answer: 575. More exciting, more involving, more classy, still civilised. Not even close.

So the GTC4Lusso is of course the descendant of the 456, and what it does have, like the FF, is proper back seats. It's a much better car than the FF, and very much in the gentleman's tourer DNA of the 456.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Car and Driver just did a comparison test on 5 tires, including the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, the Pirelli P Zero Z4, the latest Contis, Goodyears and Hankooks. 4S best in the dry and best overall, Conti best in the wet and 2nd best overall, P Zeros 3rd and way behind the front two, Hankooks next, Goodyears last. Test cars were BMW 430i Gran Coupes, whatever that is.

Pretty much the same results they got last time they did a test with the previous generation tires, at least the top two.

19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Darius, much thanks; a more useful evaluation than 'a-b-c's are much better' - with apologies to all my friends who wrote so.

20. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Now THAT 575 comment is even more telling

21. nettwerkjohn

nettwerkjohn Karting

Mar 6, 2015
    Waikawa, Picton 7220
    Full Name:
    John Phillips
    I went from old, hard but unused Bridgestone s01 to the p zeros on my 456.

The Bridgestone were far superior in the dry, more grip and smoother when they did let go. The p zero are WAY grippier in the wet.

22. Dinhossauro

Dinhossauro Karting

Nov 26, 2009
    Porto, Portugal
    Love the Michelin PSS

I just replaced the tyres in the 430 Scuderia with the new PS4 S, and ordered the same tyres for the 575.

23. ccferrari

ccferrari Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    I switched from Pirelli and have a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my Aston Martin V12 Vantage and tested them on some pretty intense mountain roads. Amazing grip, big g forces on tight mountain twisty switchback turns. Drives with confidence. They will be the next tires on my 575M.

24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Still no MPS4Ss in 18 inch 575 sizes. A great shame. MPSSs, yes. But Michelin say about those:

the Super Sports we make in these sizes are actually designed for other manufacturers and vehicles, which isn't ideal.

I guess they mean N-rated Porsche tyres but I am sure that's fine for our cars.

MPSSs are great, but MPS4Ss are very, very great.

25. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Interesting as I just put a set of MPS4s on the 456M about two weeks ago on a set of HRE 18" wheels. Couldn't find the right sizes for the OEM 17" wheels. But for 18", the sizes you need really should be available now.