Mondial Fluids | FerrariChat

Mondial Fluids

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by psy770, Jul 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psy770

psy770 Rookie

Jul 17, 2016
    N.Y.
    Can anyone suggest the best antifreeze and oil to use on a Mondial T??

2. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    Red Line 10W40 oil

3. psy770

psy770 Rookie

Jul 17, 2016
    N.Y.
    I can't get the cap off of the coolant reservoir. Does the system have to be bled of air before you can open the cap ?

Does it twist off counter clockwise after pushing downward like most caps?

What is the trick to gettignt he cap off? Thanks.

If it needs anti freeze, regualr Prestone is fine right? The check engine light came on and I am trying to narrow down the problem, if is not low oil.

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm guessing you have a mondial t as the earlier models didn't have a check engine light. The coolant expansion tank cap
    Should come off like any other. Do a search on oil. Been discussed many times. Also you can check the 348 section for technical advice. Same setup.

Check engine lights in general I thought were more emissions related and not oil and coolant types of things. Do a search for cel and you model or 348

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The check engine light can indicate many things, how to get access to the codes depends on the year of your t, in the later years, there is a button in the trunk behind a panel that then gives flashes and with a chart you can determine the codes being thrown. Here is a thread that may help...http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/435326-intermittent-check-engine-light.html

Often the check engine lights relate to an overheating cat, or as likely the failure of the cat temperature ECU and/or the related thermister that makes it look like an overheating cat, especially if the car is otherwise running ok. The ECU's are notorious for failing, but they are also there for an important reason as the Ferrari engine is like two separate four cylinder engines, and one bank can keep the car running while the other dumps unburned fuel for whatever reason, usually an ignition problem, and causes the cat to overheat.

Best oil is very subjective, but the Redline 10W40 has a lot of support. Many modern oils are designed for emission control purposes, and modern grades like 0W40 might cause you some leaks when you otherwise had none. So while there are many choices of oils, the ones that are better for an older car require a bit more thought than just getting something that is the "best" for the modern cars.

6. psy770

psy770 Rookie

Jul 17, 2016
    N.Y.

Correct, Mondial T.

Cap does not budge.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    +1 - this is what I use, as for anti-freeze - I just standard (nothing special) - I'm in California.

For the codes, they are behind the panel in the back trunk.

Instructions on how to pull them are at my348.com (same engine) assuming you have a 1992.

Cheers