Cost to fully mechanically restore a Testarossa | FerrariChat

Cost to fully mechanically restore a Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Surge74, Jul 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    Trying to summarize some take-always from Fchat concerning the cost to repair all that is prone to fail on a Testarossa. Let me know if any of these amounts are wrong. The costs assume a very competent, high quality, independent garage (not a dealer, no DIY).
    I've done my own brake pads, and fluids; but there's no way I'm doing an engine out solo!

The need for a budget like this is critical for any new owner. In my case, I plan to hold it for 30-40 years, and drive about 2000 miles a year. That's up to 80,000 miles of additional miles I'll be putting on her. Driving a car is the best thing for it mechanically! It's actually a major drawback to see so many ultra low mileage cars!

Whether the car has low or high miles, it seems like the following service will certainly be required at some point over 80,000 miles (a low miles car because it wasn't driven much, and a high miles car because we don't know how it was driven or cared for). So either way, a new owner needs to plan for this.

Not included is $2000/year for routine service, including a major engine out every 5 years.

Engine rebuild 50,000
    EFI, fuse box 10,000
    Transmission/clutch rebuild 10,000
    Diff rebuild 6,000
    Major belt service 7,500
    A/C renew (134a convert) 5,000

Let me know if I am off on any of the above, or let's add a range of values (min-max) for each.

2. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    BTW, the above adds up to almost $90K. Add another $10K for contingency and that's $100K. Not including service costs.

If correct - I'm having a hard time making the numbers work. Of course, if today's $100K cars appreciate 3,4,5X; then investing $100K is justified. But who knows if they will?

Oh, and I forgot to add the tire concern: aren't people worried about that? What happens if BFG and Toyo stop making rears?! Seems like BFG is just about there already.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I had started a thread around that so u can check what an owner gave me he spent since 86.
    I think u are a bit high on some costs:
    Service outside Ferrari is more like 7k, a brand new clutch is 4, a diff from a 575m is 4 so I'd say u are slightly above.
    Id like to keep mine 40 years but by then I'll be 70 so I think my life priorities might have changed then;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Your engine shouldnt need a rebuild before 80k miles as long as you take care if it. Budget a belt svc every 5-7 years, do the clutch jobs yourself (2k each in that case), the clutch isn't much harder than replacing brake parts, and you shouldn't need to do the clutch very often, unless you drive it too hard. My 87 still has its original clutch and the wear is in spec (21k miles). Do the diff while doing an engine out svc to save money. Get one new fusebox ($1500). Fuel distro rebuild is $900 if needed.

Point is, it's definitely not $100k to maintain these cars. Much less.

indygo likes this.
  5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    And as for tires, just dont get a tr with TRXes. Any brand of standard tire will fit the non TRX rims.

6. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    It's my understanding that (at least 1986) models have 225/50 R16 and 255/50 R16 tires if they are not the 415mm TRX rims. And other than the really expensive Michelins at Coker and Longstone, only Toyos are available currently. These are a bit risky to use in rain, and can't be stored in below freezing temps.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think u should relax;) do u already have ur Testarossa yet or u want to be prepared?
    Trust me u will always find what u want although it may take time to source the part. For instance it's taking 3 weeks for Ferrari to source cats for me but with patience they are coming ...it's just part of the ownership I guess;)

8. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe

What are you saying? Are you looking for original tires or something? ANY 225 / 255 50 R16s will fit the non TRXes. From Michelin Pilot Sports to the walmart special.

9. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    Correct but there aren't any 255/50 R16s available at present, other than track only tires. There's a thread on this here.

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  11. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    People have mentioned engine rebuilds at 80k mileage. Would this be the expected range of rebuild and how deep a rebuild are we talking?

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if rebuilt then completly

I understand under rebuilt:

new sleeves and pistons and rings
    new bearings ( may be undersize? - then grinding and hardening the crankshaft )
    new screws for the rods and for the flywheel, may be new rods???
    new valves, new guides,grinding the seats, may be new cams???
    testing all the valve springs, may be change
    new waterpump
    new injectors
    all new seals and gaskets
    new rotors, new distributor caps, new ignition wires

but when you work on the engine you may see that some threads are not ok - so repair with for example time sert - additional costs

one of my customers now has 165k km on the first never rebuilt engine and still all is ok

13. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
  14. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    I think it's necessary to budget a complete rebuild if you don't know how the engine was cared for by previous owners.

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    TR engine is reputably rugged, I don't think that is general requirement.

16. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    not required at all. Engine rebuild if your compression is bad. that's it. You don't rebuild an engine for preventative maintenance.

I'd say your ownership goals are way off. Who here has had their Testarossa for over 30 years? even an average of 2000 miles a year is tough unless you live in a nice climate.

17. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Agree and as for the "ultra low miles" being a problem, that's limited to moving parts that would typically corrode when exposed for long periods of time which would lead to premature failure. In my case they were:

-Clutch (more specifically the spline shaft)
    -TO bearing
    -Brake calipers

When I rebuilt them, they looked like they'de done a 100k miles rather than 10k. Ferrari also inspected the car multiple times. Apart from what I had already called out, the car was in perfect condition.

18. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Surge74, I don't understand why you're doubting the people who actually own and maintain these cars? As James said above, do a compression test before you buy as part of your PPI. If it comes back bad, walk away from that car.

And as for the last comment on the tire question, if you can't find any tires for your car, then get some aftermarket rims and put 'em on, saving the original tires for shows or whatever. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/144861-aftermarket-wheels-1990-testarossa.html

19. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I am sorry to say that your thinking is very wrong. I have had cars with cared for engines needing rebuilds and neglected ones running perfectly.

I have also seen many rebuilds gone bad, occasionally very bad. A rebuild is complex! Very recently a "light" case, bought a Jag that had everything rebuilt, changed etc for the finest materials and parts. The car soon developed a stalling problem that nobody could figure out. After two years of massive bills, frustration and conflict the owner gave up.
    Turns out the shop set the valve lash at an older, completely wrong spec.
    And that's just one easy thing...

20. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    #21 ago car nut, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    If the Jag in question was a six? The camshafts would have to be removed and different thickness lash caps installed under the cam buckets. Not difficult but time consuming. Many years ago the Packard 12cyl. required the valves had to be removed and the stems ground to set lash. Same with Model A Ford and early flathead V8. Patience and love of the engine, have plenty to do with good engine rebuild. Reason I like doing my own work.

21. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Yes! It's a 4.2 six. They used the E-type settings on a series-2 XJ, duh. Funny detail, they even renewed the valve lash sticker on the restored cam cover that clearly states the correct value, they set all of them 0,20mm too small.
    It was XJ engine number 00013 they rebuilt, judging by an added serial number.

Great driving cars the XJ's, I especially like the series 1.

22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    No wonder the car wouldn't idle, the valves were staying open.

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Reading this all Sergio, are you more relaxed about all that (less) spending now ?