Grill fasteners? | FerrariChat

Grill fasteners?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 76SS, Jul 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 76SS

76SS Karting

Feb 28, 2014
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kelley
    Can someone tell me what the correct fasteners to attach the grill to an 81 308 gtsi US version. I've removed it to clean it up a bit and there is a good variety of different screws used to attach it from sheet metal screws to 6/32 to 8/32 screws. I'm going to replace all of that and I would like to make it correct, or as close as I can. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I had mine apart somectime ago. Thinking metric threads not sae threads as I recall.

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It seems to me that if the sizes the holes have been enlarged, that now dictates what size of sheet metal screw fits and that you need to use. Are those sheet metal screws speed clips? Maybe you can change both screw and clip.

Make sure you put good fasteners (Nylok nuts?) on both the car and grille side of those brackets supporting the top middle of the grille. They are the main support for the grille. I found mine loose when I removed my grille and know of another 308 owner who actually once lost his grille.

4. 76SS

76SS Karting

Feb 28, 2014
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kelley
    I can see that the holes in the brackets were threaded at one time but are now stripped and even oversize. For now I'm going with sheet metal screws and speed clips but when I get time I'm going to remake the aluminum angle brackets that are riveted in and tap them for the correct threaded screw. Thanks for the replies. If you had a picture of the original screw it would help. It looks like it was probably an M4x.7 screw.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    If you are referring to the bolts which hold the top center brackets, my car has 5mm dia 1.0 thread pitch.

6. 76SS

76SS Karting

Feb 28, 2014
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kelley

Thanks Brian. Would the 4 on the bottom be the same and what head is on the screw?

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's close you are correct they were metric bolts, either hex head or maybe a cap screw phillips head.

But the screws are not correct.

Look at the type of bolt that holds your inner fenders, those should all be metric bolts as well.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I looked for 5mm speed clips for four hours the other day!

Needed ONE for the Ducati windscreen.

Apperently they are very rare, smaller than 6mm in modern cars.

In any event Ferrrari did not use them in the 70s. If it's not a pop rivet, it's a metric fastener. Sometimes with quite odd head profiles (see our headlight housings as example)

9. 76SS

76SS Karting

Feb 28, 2014
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kelley

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

10. 76SS

76SS Karting

Feb 28, 2014
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kelley
    Update:
    I only had to remake one bracket that looks like it was cobbled together, tapped four bottom brackets to m5x.8 bolt. Used two m5x.8 bolts w/ nylock nuts on upper. Thanks all for your input![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]