Two questions on trailering | FerrariChat

Two questions on trailering

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Copasetic222, Jul 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Copasetic222

Copasetic222 Karting

Jan 25, 2009
    I'm about to custom order an enclosed aluminum car hauler to trailer my FF. Two questions to those of you with more experience than me:

*Anyone seen or used a trailer with the new "premium " escape door where the wheelwell can be removed and the extra large door hinges up (rather than opens to the side) and if your car door clears the trailer tires you can open your car door wide and step right out?

*Anyone with the lift option on their Ferrari know if there is a way to lift the car, shut off the ignition, and keep the car raised? I don't plan to trailer it in the lifted position but I'd like to keep it raised until I'm out of the vehicle.

2. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    Our 2 place trailer has the escape doors. They are located front and rear of the wheel wells, so you don't need to worry about that. Even so, they are located high enough off of the floor of the trailer that 75% of the cars we have had in there wont clear them! It is a novel idea, but unfortunately does not work well with cars that sit as low as your FF does.

The way I load cars is with a winch with synthetic rope. Car in neutral, drivers window down so I can steer if necessary. Rubber wheel chock handy to stop the car if needed. Once it is where I need it, I put the car in gear and strap it. Then window up and keys out! If you are going to be spending the money on a nice enclosed aluminum trailer, spend the extra $1k or so for a nice winch with syn rope and a wireless remote!

3. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    lucky you, I have to back mine in due to tongue weight. I finally figured it out by getting my wife to hold a door mirror up front so I can keep it straight. Keeping room for door clearance is tough.

4. Berning

Berning Karting

Apr 14, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Full Name:
    Kevin Berning
    I have an ATC trailer with side door. My 348s fit well and am able to open door without problem with the removable arch out. It has a step between the wheels so you can easily exit trailer. If I would have thought further I would have added a wench as suggested above.

5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #5 Rosso328, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    I probably sound like a brand ambassador for Intech trailers on various car forums, but I'm just a really satisfied customer. I think their trailers are the best bang for the buck and their 10' escape door is bigger and better than the rest. Check them out. I get more compliments on my trailer than my ACR at the track. Even Craig at Ferrari of Houston was admiring my trailer when I was down there to pick up my Speciale.

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Perhaps WILLIAM_H will lend you a Bubble.

8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I'm just trying to figure out why you would trailer an FF?

9. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Try Montrose trailer, they can custom make most everything. All aluminum construction makes for weight savings. I have an Aluma trailer which I bought as an emergency to haul my Cayman home from LA, Had another car in the hauler. Good trailer but no side door. Definitely get the side door or you will be winching your car as mentioned above.

10. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I was thinking the same thing!

11. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I could more picture an FF towing something than being towed.

12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Recent tract event a gentleman brought his F12 in a Jimglo trailer. Very nice. I have a Trailex and Jimglo has some really nice features. Definitely worth a look.

https://www.jimglo.com

13. Copasetic222

Copasetic222 Karting

Jan 25, 2009
    Because I'm fortunate enough to be retired and live in Florida half the year and Minnesota the other half and am enjoying the FF enough to want it in both places. My wife and I like to drive and stop along the way so we drive in the spring and fall and fly if we need to go back and forth other times of the year. I'd love to drive it both ways but putting those kind of miles on it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm used to hauling cars to race tracks and motorcycles out west, etc so trailering isn't a big deal to me.

14. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I didn't order the escape doors on my current trailer, but wish I had. I definitely will on the next one.