Ferrari engine in a shelby cobra replica? | FerrariChat

Ferrari engine in a shelby cobra replica?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ChipG, Jul 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Years ago I saw a shelby cobra replica with a carbureted ferrari v12 stuffed in it and have always wanted to build one, now the carbureted v12's are way to expensive to put in a $30k kit car, has anyone done something similar with a used F355, F430 or 458 engine and some kind of kit car or cobra replica?

thanks!

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

There was a project going on over at GT40S DOT COM awhile back with a 360 engine going into a GT40 replica. Try a search over there.

3. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    thank you! I found it and nothing updated since a year ago without the engine being put in it

4. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Pretty funny as it would be like putting a Ford engine in a Ferrari. Some form of twisted slap to Enzo.

5. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I can't imagine why you would want to do a build like that unless you had the parts laying around from a wrecked V8 Ferrari. I doubt you would gain much in performance and the work to get the drive line and electronics to work will test your sanity. I could see a carburetor V12 because that is cool but not an electronically controlled V8. You would end in a much better place with a Ford 427 stump puller or stroked Ford small block.

6. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Personally, I think I'd do an engine from v12ls for a project like that. And then not in a cobra (Ford).

7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

IIRC, that's exactly why the guy was doing it. He picked up a complete 360 drivetrain for a song.

8. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The Ferrari v8 (or any other variants, for that matter) is not a problem using MegaSquirt EFI as the controller.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Have seen several Ferrari engines, usually V12s of various vintges, in hot rods and they look really nice. A fancied up V12 in a hot rod is really pretty, even if it is an old Lincoln flathead V12.

In a Cobra? Sure, if you want more show than go or just love the sound. A Type 140 engine of any type would work really great, but they cost as much (more, actually) as the rest of the car.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    There was a cobra replica with a Ferrari V12 at Concorso Italiano in 1998 or 2000, I think it was a 365GT4 2+2 engine. I thought it was an amusing inversion of the Ferraris that in the 1950's and 60's in the midwest ended up with American V8's due to lack of parts or expertise, humorous:)

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I remember seeing that car in a magazine and had the same thought.

12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Google Cobrari, it's probably what your thinking of, I'm thinking of a more modern day version, I can get a 458 engine a lot cheaper than a 427 Ford engine.

13. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    You clearly have access to parts that the rest of us don't have. A Ford 427 from Ford Racing is $10k for a new engine. An all aluminum version is $14k.

14. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The "Cobrari" in question (that was its original California license plate) was built at Al Burtoni's Ferrari shop in Gilroy,CA. It combined an ERA kit with a 365GTC/4 engine/transmission (320 hp,sidedraft webers). Extensive mods were required to the car and engine,like a custom front-mounted distributor. Burtoni said it took about 1750 hours. Road & Track wrote up the car in a special publication called "Exotic Cars:5",dated April 30,1987.

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It doesn't look familiar. I recall now seeing the car on Ebay. I think it was light blue or silver. I remember the cam covers as black. It might have been a Kirkham aluminum car.

16. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    wish my luck, thanks!