360 - Heat Exchanger Leak? Gearbox/Coolant | Page 6 | FerrariChat

360 - Heat Exchanger Leak? Gearbox/Coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FerrariDublin, Feb 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm afraid I have no experience of this and cannot offer advice. Perhaps someone who has experience of a good flushing technique/product can assist Honda here?

I agree. These are tried and tested components which appear to only fail after prolonged failure to service the coolant system and/or gearbox oil and even then they only fail after many years. It seems to me they're a perfectly acceptable part and I wouldn't recommend an alternative as long as the OEM part is available.

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #127 vrsurgeon, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    If it happens to me:
    1) I'm going to change the oil cooler over to challenge spec and probably position the oil radiator behind the left rear wheel.
    2) I'm thinking some detergent on the flush and connect the oil cooler lines into one continuous circuit, drive for a little before it warms up and then flush it
    3) I'm not sure what detergent would work well with the oil to get out the water.. (edit: just read about seafoam added to remove the water.. interesting)

3. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I am trying to determine if I have a bad heat exchanger, as I am seeing white milky streaks when I drained the gear oil.

A little background, I recently did a major full service on my 360, all the belts, water pump, etc. After I put everything back together car drove good but I could smell gear oil. Checking the level I see that I over filled it. (Will that cause gear oil smell?) While pulling some gear out I noticed that the oil have white streak mixed in with it.

I did a water content test with the gear oil and it's not showing it contains water.

Prior to filling the coolant I did an integrity test and the cooling system holds 20 bar of vacuum for an extended period of time. If the exchanger is bad wouldn't the vacuum test show up by not holding the vacuum?

TIA

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If it's overfilled, you could get some foaming that might explain what you are seeing.

5. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    So the KF test of the gear oil is telling me that the gear oil contains 2.8% water content. Does this say my heat exchanger is bad?

6. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I hope someone reading this thread can send a used one, leaking or not
    to Seakamp Engineering in WA.
    I would reimburse the shipping costs, even though it would be small
    to make it attractive for someone to send them a cooler.

Seakamp makes standard and custom coolers, I ordered my boat coolers
    through them and they build excellent coolers and will do custom ones.

The idea is to have someone send them one of these coolers, they
    draw up a stock and use it to make a standard item in their inventory and we can
    order from them. I have not got around to a PM replacement on my 360
    yet, no issues just was going to do a maintenance replacement and send them
    my good one and have them make up a new one using a example.

These guys are a small shop and make excellent coolers for boat engines that would
    cost more than a 360 engine rebuilt, so I trust them to make a quality product.
    I can not imagine the cost would be more than $300-400 if that, just guessing
    high as my last engine coolers made of copper nickel for salt water and
    no flush were $190 each.

I would gladly manage contact and coordination with Seakamp if someone
    sent them a used cooler. Let me know. If it works out the community
    benefits. Thanks.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    No idea. I'm replacing a heat exchanger now. The client found a small amount of residue in the coolant reservoir. When I drained the gearbox oil and coolant I found no signs of cross-contamination. He chose to do the job anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred

Already done.
    By a company Daytona Auto Center in Canada (no affiliation)

9. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    So with 2.8% water content in my gear oil I think my heat ex-changer is shot.

So just wanted to confirm couple of things before I pull the trigger to start the repair process

(1). I read from this thread that you can actually replace the heat ex-changer without taking out the intake manifold. Access through the engine bay service cover, remove water pump etc. Need confirmation on this.

(2). What are the options now for heat ex-changer? Factory, aftermarket, relocation of the heat ex-changer?

TIA

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    No need to remove intake manifold.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Scroll through the thread..i posted a rough step by step on how to do it without pulling the intake.

13. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Thank you all

14. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    So as others have suggested I attacked the replacement from the engine bay access panel by removing the P/S steering pump (didn't remove the hose), and the entire water pump assembly. (Which coincidentally is what the shop manual suggest how you do it)

Regardless how much coolant you drain out of the car (front radiator), all the hose connecting to the water pump when you try to remove the water pump assembly a whole bunch of coolant will still comes out so have a bucket or pan under the car to catch it.

Removing the water pump assembly does take some work. Especially one of the coolant hose that's attached to the bottom of the pump from behind. You have to pull the assembly out at an angle and then use a flat screw drive to reach in and undo the strap.

When ordering the parts, besides a new exchanger, also order a total of 4 seal washer for the pressure line, and a new rubber o-ring from the pump assembly area. Also I ordered 4 more washers for the pressure line that's connected to the transmission area. It would be easier to connect the lines to the exchanger during assembly if you disconnect the lines from the transmission to give it more slack.

I also found some mystery material inside of my old heat exchanger, anyone have any idea what these are? Looks like some sort of shaving scrap material. (Last picture link)

I am still not done with this repair yet, still WIP.

http://p-car.com/ferrari/heatexchanger/FullSizeRender.jpg
    http://p-car.com/ferrari/heatexchanger/IMG_7665.JPG
    http://p-car.com/ferrari/heatexchanger/IMG_7666.JPG
    http://p-car.com/ferrari/heatexchanger/IMG_7670.JPG
    http://p-car.com/ferrari/heatexchanger/IMG_7678.JPG
    http://p-car.com/ferrari/heatexchanger/IMG_7679.JPG

15. spooky

spooky Rookie

Mar 14, 2010
    I just discover this thread... after I had the same issue as the others, coolant in the gearbox which is now probably dead (spooky sound...). Video shows the draining of gearbox... coolant:

16. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Yes, this thread is an oldie, but a goodie. tbakowsky recommends a new o-ring for the water pump housing. I've been looking all through my pdf parts manual and can't find a reference to an o-ring between the housing and the block. I'm almost certain that he isn't referring to the water pump seal because his procedure doesn't remove the pump from the housing. Is there an o-ring between the water pump housing and the block that I'm not seeing?

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes,

Water Pump O-Ring

obertRo likes this.
  18. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thank you! My parts file doesn't show this seal or part number, but a Eurospares diagram does. And, Ricambi sells them.