Karl Troy of European Road and Racing | FerrariChat

Karl Troy of European Road and Racing

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Dincenzo, Jul 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Karl just posted this on Facebook. I thought that those of you that did not get to see it there
    would enjoy the read.

To a friend that helped shape my life. "

HOW IT ALL BEGAN"
    I graduated HS in Vienna, Austria at age 14 and started an apprenticeship with a VW/Porsche/Audi dealer. In 1982 at the age of 16 I moved to the US. My stepfather wanted me to go to college which meant I needed to learn the language so I went back to HS (Wando) for a second time in my life.
    I was thrilled I didn't have to wait until I was 18 to drive a car as it is the law in Austria.
    My stepdad had a VW Rabbit with over 200k miles on it and I was responsible for keeping it going. During my senior year he sold me the car for $500.- just to show me the value of buying a car instead of it being given to you. I modified it (imagine that) but that took money. So did paying for car insurance which my parents said was my responsibility.
    So I worked 3 jobs every day to make it happen. At 17 years of age I drove school bus in the morning and afternoon. Then I drove the bus to the Wild Dunes golf course where I worked until dark and then worked at the Trawler restaurant until midnight or beyond every day.
    One night around 2AM i encountered a brand new 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera. It was red and absolutely beautiful. I decided to chase it down and it became a cat and mouse game for almost 30 min. Eventually the Porsche driver pulled over and said. "I just had to meet the fool that would be crazy enough to try to race a Porsche 911 in a VW Rabbit.
    That driver was Russ Boykin who at the time was the Porsche/Audi sales manager at the local dealer.
    We had a great chat and really hit it off.
    He even let me drive the car that night which happened to be on the same road I live on today.

I graduated HS for the second time in my life and went on to work at the local VW dealer whose building still stands and is about a 20 second walk away from ERR's location.

One day I get a call from Russ and he said. " I have a friend who has a raceshop on James Island. He's making a deal with a racing team called Brun Motorsport. They're coming to America to campaign a Porsche 962 in IMSA. They need a young mechanic that is capable of working on the racecar every day and get it ready for upcoming events. "
    ������
    I was blown away. At age 4 I told my mom I wanted to be a race car driver. This wasn't the day but certainly a step in the right direction.
    I started with the team in the fall of 1985 under the guidance of Jim Bailie who was the best mentor anyone could ever have.
    Since Brun Motorsport also campaigned several 962s in Europe we became Team World Champions in 1986 beating the Porsche, Jaguar and Mercedes factory teams as a privately owned team.
    I worked with the team for 3 seasons traveling the world.
    In 1990 I started European Road and Racing.

AND THE REST IS HISTORY

Thank you again Russ Boykin for believing in me and putting me on the path of an incredible journey.

2. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    #2 chipbiii, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Great true story. So many of us are delighted that a person with his outstanding attitude and qualities is here to help, not only with our cars, but to make us laugh and appreciate life too. KARL is a true American who embodies the best of the American ideals and spirit.

Take care! :)

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is a great story.

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #4 raider1968, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Sorry we are sideways but thats the two of us (me - Scud)

6. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Good thing we didn't fall off John.
    😂😂😂

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Damn grippy tires......

8. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What an awesome story. :):)

9. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Unrelated but hope you have your eclipse glasses on hand. :):)

10. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Got mine last week! Thank you to Karl for the work on my 360, for the help getting some shoes mounted for my newly arrived F430 and for the DCT and plug service on the M3. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    I've been going to ER&R for 6 years. They're honest, hard-working, highly skilled, and just plain good people. Thanks for so many years of great service.