Paint code/type/brand? Early 250 cars | FerrariChat

Paint code/type/brand? Early 250 cars

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Mattie69, Jul 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    I am looking for the type of black wrinkle finish paint that should be applied on the dash,steering column cover,I am wondering if it's the same paint they painted some engine parts with, if any has the correct brand /type/ paint code please let me know
    Regards
    Matt

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Heck, I didn't know there was more than one kind: The kind that comes in a spray can. I used to just spray it in the warm California sun; the depth (coarseness) of the wrinkle is determined by the amount sprayed. If the finish is too glossy, just hit it (after the wrinkle paint dries) with a bit of clear semi-gloss or flat, as you prefer.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Eastwood is the brand......as Ed states, "there's only one kind".....thanks Ed!

As he describes, you do have to "play with it" as you can get small wrinkles, you can make big wrinkles!

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    This is one of those things that seems easier than it really is. It's easy enough to make a small part look good, but doing a big piece like a dash and make the wrinkles look even and uniform, that takes skill. I for one can rarely get the right and left cam covers to look identical in texture.

john

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    powder coat with give a very consistent wrinkle.

6. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Yes powder coating does but it's the wrong wrinkle.