Interesting article on the Concorde disaster | FerrariChat

Interesting article on the Concorde disaster

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TheMayor, Jul 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Having flown the Concorde, tho' with British Airways, not Air France, I thought I had read everything written about the accident at the time. But not this. Wow.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Politically motivated accident investigations rarely uncover all the facts. On this one, the cause was already pre-determined.

Airbus was really motivated to prove their aircraft was not at fault in the crash off Brazil, and they were proven correct, much to Air France's chagrin.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Must say that I am not a fan of Air France. I have little evidence to support or disprove the above article but there is pattern of incidents with AF that would support the view that their pilots are poorly trained and sometime take liberties. The most flagrant one was 20 or so years ago when pilots disengaged many safety feature for an airshow. Needless to say the airbus ended up crashing in the woods nearby.
    Being French it pains me to admit it but I think BA provides much better pilot training. I have experienced incidents with BA and must say pilot and crew always performed flawlessly. When was the last time BA lost a single crew or passenger ?

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Time flies (no pun intended) the Habsheim accident was almost thirty years ago, in June 1988...

Rgds

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Interesting read.

Regards,

Art S.

8. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    I went to the osh kosh air show in 78-80 and missed a chance to ride on the concorde,it was $300-400 [that was like $3,000] to me back then,i always wished I did it [still do]

9. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Indeed!

I’d never seen this also.....very interesting and supports the fact that these types of accidents are usually the coming together of multiple low probability causes

22nd August 1985. 53 of my fellow passengers and 2 heroic crew in an accident uncannily like the Concorde disaster (ruptured wing tank on take off and fire). Lucky isn’t an appropriate word, maybe fortunate for some of us the pilot aborted just short of rotation on that day. There was some ill informed criticism of the pilots, but they followed the current procedures which were later changed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airtours_Flight_28M

10. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That's an interesting article! True story here, a friend of mine here in my hometown has been mowing lawns and doing lawn maintenance for the last 20 years here....his previous job, aeronautical engineer (UK university) whose first job was being part of the design team for Concorde landing gear. His last job was subcontract work for Phantom 2. He said he was stressed out, decided to move to Canada and mow lawns. He's a cool older man and has a huge Beatles memorabilia collection. Will ask him if he has seen this report but will wait for the right moment.

11. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    fascinating and tragic thanks for posting

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow! Glad you were one of the survivors.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Harrowing doesn't begin to describe it to us dear readers.

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676