Bonnet Open Message | FerrariChat

Bonnet Open Message

Discussion in '612/599' started by Arashgha, Jul 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    Hi All,

My car (07 612) decided to develop a fault while it was parked with the battery disconnected although regularly charged. The car reports the bonnet's open hence the F1 refusing to go in a gear. Strangely, when the engine is off the message doesn't appear and the pump and actuator run perfectly well and I can go in and out of gears. Its the moment the engine is started and the problem starts.

I removed the bonnet latch cover and took a look, all seemed fine. Got a mate to hold the microswitch closed and the message still appeared (as in bonnet open). Could this issue have anything to do with a brake pedal switch as I do see a fault appearing on the fault memory related to the brake pedal switch. I also shorted the 2 pins on the female connector of the bonnet switch and still no luck. Does the switch end at the body computer/fuse box or goes to the TCU?

Any help would be much appreciated. Please let me know if a brake light switch could flummox the F1 system as such. Cheers a lot.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul

You probably already checked this, but have you looked at the fuse? It seems odd that you still get that message after circumventing the switch.

3. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The fuse was high on my list. Haven't yet done it but the bonnet only shown as open once the engine runs and the switch operational at other times took my focus away from the fuse a bit.

Like I said I've noticed brake light switch faults tend to be quite keen to appear everytime I read the faults and that got me concerned. Once again thanks heaps and would love know if someone's been through a similar mishap.

4. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    I had a similar problem and it was a bad ground. One of the cables in the front of the car, by the passenger side headlights was loose. Once the cable was tightened to the body, the problem went away.

5. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    #5 Arashgha, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. What a great forum; I with huge regret left for a holiday I'd planned for a long time back, at where I grew up (Brisbane Australia) and I only discovered this after I decided to crank her so she wouldn't go too dry on the next start as I'd been away for work in Germany for 7 days.

It did feel like that as I could see a flickering within the instrument cluster meaning of course a loose connection. I believe this is a ground the TCU might be using once the engine is running hence the trouble only appearing when she starts. I don't think the TCU eliminates anything before startup as I can shift in and out if the engine isn't running with even the bonnet open etc etc. Should be easy, I've taken the headlight out before, easy job indeed. I so hope its this, I've been thinking about this throughout my 18hr flight from Dubai to Brisbane. Would let you know soon. Thanks a million for the help,

6. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    Hi All,

Just got back and the first thing I did was aiming for the passenger's side earth link. All seemed ok. Checked all fuses and found nothing wrong. Question is, where do the 2 cables (orange with a black stripe on one pin and all black on the other) of the bonnet switch end up? Please help out. Thanks heaps.

7. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    Just a quick update,

I noticed in my 'Launch' fault reader faults concerning the brake pedal switch. I also noticed by pressing/releasing the pedal the bonnet message switches on/off. I took the plunge and got a new brake pedal switch. But not much is different. The message doesnt come when I start the car as opposed to the past and it also goes into gear but as soon as I move the car by an inch the message pops up and I'm thrown out of gear. I'm hoping someone out there's seen something as strange as this before. Called a workshop who obviously would need to stick it to the diagnostics of theirs but the earliest time they can come and chuck the car on their flatbed is on Saturday.

P.S The new brake light switch had its tip stuck out a lot further than the old one so there was clearly a visual difference between the 2.

8. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    Hi all,

The car's been diagnosed by the workshop and they're saying the Body computer is at fault. They stress that the part must be fitted at the dealer as only they can program the unit in. My questions are:

1- Does a used unit work? I see Eurospares has both new and used Body Computers on offer.

2- Does the programming have to take place at the dealer?

3- Would the car be able to at least be mobile with just plugging in a new one? In other words what will and what won't function prior to the programming?

Please help out. Thanks heaps.

9. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    The Body Computer is a coded unit specific to the VIN and must undergo programming which the dealer could provide should one need it replaced.

I've managed to find the wiring diagram of the 612 online, at a cost of course. The way I've grasped it, the Body Computer is quite the same as that of a Fiat's, Alfa's, etc. I happen to own an Alfa as well. If I understood it well, a signal is sent and should the bonnet (micro)switch be closed the signal returns to another pin proving the lid/door's closed. I'm going to investigate this.

10. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    Hi all,

A quick update, in the end the Body computer was replaced by the dealer and the problem was solved. Thanks.