Failed Califonia Smog Test (Catalyst Monitor Not Ready) | FerrariChat

Failed Califonia Smog Test (Catalyst Monitor Not Ready)

Discussion in '360/430' started by s2kev888, Jul 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. s2kev888

s2kev888 Rookie

Jul 26, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #1 s2kev888, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Greetings all!

First off I wanted to thank everyone here for the wealth of knowledge available to new, future, and current Ferrari owners. This forum played an integral role during my search for my first Ferrari.

I recently picked up a 2006 F430 F1 Spider (from an out of state Ferrari dealer) and went through the motions of registering an out of state car in California (smog check and vin verification). My car ended up failing the smog check today due to the 'Catalyst Monitor' not being 'ready'. All else seemed to pass with no issues. The smog check shop advised me to drive around in normal driving conditions for 70-80 miles or so and come back for a retest. He mentioned that this is common on cars that have recently had a battery replacement or jump start. The thing is I'm not aware of any recent battery replacement / jump starts prior to my ownership and I've personally already driven the car just over 200 miles already without having replaced the battery or jump starting the car.

I've tried searching but haven't been able to find any info if this is some sort of known / common issue on the F430 or if there are any fixes. Should I just continue to drive as normal for a few more miles (80 or so) as instructed by the smog check shop and keeping coming back for retests until it passes? Or would anyone happen to know of any better and more effective ways to solve the issue? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced!

Best,

Kevin

2. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    I'm also due for a SMOG check (CA) and just replaced my battery. I'll be curious what advice we get from this.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Try this

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrettC and Innovativethinker like this.
  4. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The shop is just using their handheld monitors and NOT putting car on machine I hope.

5. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

This, if they indeed connected the state machine the fail is already recorded, DO NOT take it to the test again until you are sure all monitors are ready or you will be flagged as a gross polluter.
    It is pretty easy to check the monitors with a $20 obd2 reader from auto zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. s2kev888

s2kev888 Rookie

Jul 26, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #6 s2kev888, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Thank you. I did see this but saw it was for 360/ 575M. I'm assuming it'll also work for F430? I just wanted to reconfirm before I disconnected my battery. Never done this before but I'm sure I can figure it out. Anyone happen to know if I need to leave the battery disconnected for any certain period of time or just a quick disconnect/reconnect will do?

They plugged it into the actual smog check computer/machine for the first try when it failed. But they did tell me that moving forward they can test it on the handheld monitor to see if it passes before retesting it on the actual computer again.

Got it. I will be sure to make sure that it passes on the handheld before retesting on the computer. Thanks for the tip!

7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    On other vehicles that are older like my wife's Prowler and a couple vans, I've driven around and then drop in and say, "Now?"

8. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    In California all monitors must say complete, ready, pass or something like that. The only monitor that doesn't have to run to completion is the EVAP monitor. If you disconnect the battery or clear DTC's, that resets the monitors and everything has to run again. The monitors are two types: continuous or non-continuous. Continuous monitors run constantly to protect the cat. They are misfire, fuel system monitor and comprehensive component. Non-continuous monitors only run when enabling criteria are met and they are generally emission type components such as EVAP, Cat, and O2 sensor monitors.
    The monitors are what set DTC's and turn on the check engine light. For example the misfire monitor will run and if a misfire is detected will set a P0300 code and turn on the CEL. The EVAP monitor will run to completion and if a problem is detected will set a EVAP DTC and turn on the CEL. The smog check is looking to see if your monitors have run to completion and set any DTC's. If your monitors have run to completion and no DTC's are set you pass.
    I suggest you buy a scan tool that reads readiness monitors, so before you go for a smog check for any vehicle you can make sure all monitors have run to completion.
    One last thing, the Cat monitor is looking at the rear O2 sensor to determine if your Cat is bad. The rear O2 is a narrow band sensor and should (once warmed up) read .5 to .6V basically flatlined. If it is cycling up and down your Cat is bad and needs to be replaced. This data info is required for all vehicles in the US to be available in Generic Data and can be read by any scantool with mode 1(Live Data) capability.
    Oh, and just one more thing, your Cat monitor looks at the O2 sensor for the test. Therefore the O2 sensor must run and pass with no DTC's before the Cat monitor can run.

Need4Spd likes this.
  9. s2kev888

s2kev888 Rookie

Jul 26, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you all for the insight thus far. I attempted the drive cycle instructions this morning (to the best of the ability). At step 3 during the idle I did hear a long beep -- I'm wondering if that indicated it was successfully completed. I'll be bringing it back to the Smog Center Monday morning to be retested with their handheld. I'm crossing my fingers that it did the trick!

10. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

Hey any moderators lurking?? Perhaps this service bulletin (not whole thread) should be listed in the sticky section.

Title 360 Drive cycle procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonyc and one4torque like this.
  11. otokoto

otokoto Rookie

Jul 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    gil santiago

12. otokoto

otokoto Rookie

Jul 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    gil santiago
    Hi Kevin, just wanted to ask you on what happened to your Drive Cycle in order to be smog ready.
    Did you turn off the battery? by the switch? how long?
    thanks

13. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    #13 Sj_engr, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Any el chepo OBD2 handheld tool will tell you the readiness. For my 911 it said to drive around below 3k RPM 40-50mph. Any rapid throttle angles or above 3k RPM is said to stop the process.

Cutting the battery sets you back to the start. The 911 was out of state purchase for me and apparently all shippers disconnect for safety.

14. otokoto

otokoto Rookie

Jul 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    gil santiago
    so for updates, I just drove it on the freeway for more than 50 miles and came back with ready CAT, all went smooth on CA smog.

Need4Spd likes this.
  15. otokoto

otokoto Rookie

Jul 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    gil santiago
    Hello there, i had same scenario few weeks ago, I tried to lift the car and follow the Ferrari tech bulletin to save time but didnt work because of the traction control etc., as you know the technical bulletin from Ferrari is quite impossible for us to drive if we live in the city that has so many traffic lights, so what I did, I drove the car around 60 miles with moderate speed of 65-75 mph on the FREEWAY, halfway of that I left to idle for 5 mins, shut off and start driving back again normally, I got home and checked the OBD and all is OK.
    hope this help

16. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Easiest way to do this is get a bluetooth OBD monitor that links to your phone. I use Torque Lite free app. You can drive and monitor the reset and as soon as all are set, except the EVAP, drive it in and smog it. My roll over valve somewhere has a crack and throws the engine light, but I can reset and get to pass with just the EVAP not ready. I also had to recently replace both o2 sensores in front in order to pass smog. Heater not working on one side. Found the exact Bosch 17001 parts from Autozone for $109.99 each....pretty good pricing and they fit perfect. 15 minute job both sides. HTH

17. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    You can find the bluetooth ones cheaper on ebay. Cool thing with those is that you can get a free program (+ use a laptop) to create keys for most Ford trucks/suv.

I have a ~$20 handheld for most code reset or emissions. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YHDFSP3