Dinos in South Wales, UK between 1973-1976? Anyone here remember them or own one???? | FerrariChat

Dinos in South Wales, UK between 1973-1976? Anyone here remember them or own one????

Discussion in '206/246' started by miurasv, Jul 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1 miurasv, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Some time late on in 1973 at the age of 10 years I saw a white 246 GTS pull up into The Tara Country Club one Sunday morning in a place called Pont-Neath-Vaughan (Pontneddfechan), Glyn Neath, Neath, Near Swansea. I wrote about it here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142218489-post14.html

I was absolutely mesmerised by this Dino. The owner had just bought it and was attending a wedding reception at The Tara Club. I stared at the car all day. When the party was over I was still there. The owner couldn't find the light switches and spent ages trying to get the lights to work. I believe the owner lived somewhere in the Swansea Valley. Does anyone remember this car? Is the owner an FChatter perhaps?

About a year or two later I saw a red 246GT in a place called Hirwaun, near Aberdare. The owner was visiting one of the Italian Cafes in the village. I remember he was having some problems with it.

Finally, in 1976 there was a silver 246 GTS in the centre of Cardiff with the owner sitting in the car.

It's a long shot I know but I have always wondered what happened to these wonderful cars. Does anyone here know anything about them?

2. alsaautomotive

alsaautomotive Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    The only one I remember Steve is Paul Henry's GTS. Only fairly recently sold I believe.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thanks for your reply, Al. What colour was Paul's GTS and do you know how long he owned it?

4. alsaautomotive

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    #4 alsaautomotive, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Rosso Chiaro I believe. I'm pretty sure he bought it in the late 70's and sold it about four or five years ago (after his home in Caswell burnt down). It was registered SON 200 from memory. Just wish I'd made a note of the sn when we did some work on it in the late 90's!

5. alsaautomotive

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    I was told a tale many years ago of a garage owner with a Dino from West Wales who, having been unable to sell his (apparently pretty rough) Dino, just scrapped it. Whether there was any truth in this I have absolutely no idea....guessing time frame would have been early 80's. It might tie in with a reputed laid up Dino in Capel Hendre I was told existed in the mid 90's......I asked around a few friends from that area at the time & nobody had heard the story or had any ideas as to who/where it could be!
    How are things with you Steve? All good I hope.

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Interesting, Al. I'd heard of a police doctor in the Carmarthen area in the 80s who had a red GT. I'm ok thanks. Will call up yo see you soon. Will be good to see you.

7. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    Not in Wales, but in London. In July 1971 while in college, a friend and I went to Britain to see the British Grand Prix at Silverstone and the Vintage Sports Car Club a week later also at Silverstone. Anyhow, the first day we were there, I was walking in London and passed a car dealership. A yellow car winked at me. I had never seen a more beautiful car in my life. A yellow rectangular badge on the nose of the car said Dino. What the heck is a Dino? I walked to the car as it was seducing me, and on the trunk lid it said Ferrari. I fell in love. At that time the Dinos were not being imported into the US. It was the first Dino I saw, and in a manner of speaking, she took my virginity. Fly yellow, black interior, RHD; I wonder who has her now.

8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #8 isuk, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That may possibly have been #01548. If it was it is alive and well and still in Giallo Fly/Nero but it has lots of incorrect details (late E series front bumpers being the most obvious in this photo). There are more photo's of it on the website of the last dealer to sell it 2B Consulting Automotive :: 1971 Ferrari Dino 246 GT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I know just how you felt. The Dino is the prettiest road car ever made, imo. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    that`s a 246 GT, not a GTS... #02540.... Rosso Chiaro originally....

11. alsaautomotive

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    Was definitely a GTS with that reg we did for him in the 90's as one of the areas repaired was where the targa had chipped the header rail.

12. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    If the Dino I saw in London is 01548, then that would be some crazy coincidence. My Dino has almost the same chassis number, 01458. There must be some cosmic power that wanted me to have my Dino.

13. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    I can remember buying my first Dino from North Wales in 1976 or 1977. It was a 70 or 71 rhd 246GT in Giallo Fly with a navy or black interior and I paid £2,025 for it. I can't remember too much else about it except it had bald rear tyres and had a broken n/s front indicator. It was very cheap at that price even back then.