Official 308 GTB/GTS Market Thread | Page 99 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GTB/GTS Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Jan 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    The targa liners sag .. if you try to clean them with spray can cleaner. It seems to dissolve the glue. This being an early 2 valve injected car, a discount is appropriate. While they look great and start right up, they are noticeably sluggish.

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #2452 308 milano, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Totally inaccurate. Have you owned one? I have and found it to be one of the best driving cars, and inless you're using a stopwatch you will find zero difference in performance except maybe top end speed.Truly regret selling it. Should have let go of the Euro QV.
    Spray cleaners don't dissolve the glue from the headliner, scrubbing it breaks the fabric away from the 30 year old foam underneath.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #2453 thorn, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    My targa top has a brown tweed fabric on the interior side. Was yours removed (perhaps due to sagging or rips)? ;)

I've never owned a 2V, but have followed the 308 market closely for the past 5 years. With any model of any car, there's going to be a year considered the "highest" and another year considered the "lowest" in average value. The 2V is the lowest, and for valid reasons - just as the fiberglass cars are considered the highest.

That doesn't mean a 2V owner isn't completely happy with their car. But their happiness factor doesn't change the market realities, either.

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

Owning a 308 in one version or another for the last 14 years, and also a repair facility for over 30 years, my comment was in reference to the inaccurate statement that the 2V cars are "noticeably sluggish" in comparison to other 308.. At this point, they're all vintage Ferrari and if you are concerned about a few second spread in times between the models, then you should be looking at a 360. MARKET advice has been the same throughout the years.. when it comes to Ferrari .. " whichever model you prefer, search out the very best you can afford"

5. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    "Totally inaccurate. Have you owned one?"

Yes I owned one from about 1992 to about 2013. That's over 20 years by my count. It's widely acknowledged that the 2 valve injected 308 is an emasculated car, in the US version. Perhaps yours was a European car?

I also owned a 308 GT4 and a Mondial. The Mondial was even more sluggish than the injected 308. The GT4 was lively.

Currently have an 88.5 328 and again an 82 308 but this time with a 355 motor in it and 288 GTO bodywork.

6. Toonfosi

Toonfosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2014
    Valley Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Chad Woods
    +1 Having actually driven most 3x8 iterations (freeway/ canyon runs)... talk about splitting hairs.

7. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Exactly this. The differences on the road across the 308s and 328s are trivial 30-40 years on. Museum pieces & garage queens aside, I find the wide spread in values quite difficult to believe sometimes.

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I did look at the 360, and the 355. Both are impressive in their own right. But the curves of 360 just don't work for me as well as it needs to, and the 355's maintenance is cost-prohibitive for me. IE - I can afford to buy a 355. I don't think I can afford to own one.

As with anything, there are many factors... appearance is important, so is power, build quality, etc. For many buyers, it's about finding the perfect sweet spot.

9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Having never driven any versions myself, as a newby I was swayed by the negative comments/reputation of the 2V i cars. I would still pay a small premium for carbs simply because I know them and like the sound (and they seem to sell for more if I do sell.) Power difference was not a big concern-- I'm slower than any of them :)

Getting back to the market, this one seems like a good fixer-upper but the seller is new and no mention of belts or service history which would be a red flag, sounds like it needs synchros as well...

1983 Ferrari 308 | eBay

10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Despite the "clean" AutoCheck, the pictures imply that this car may have lots of stories.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I do like this bit, in the listing - Accidents: None

Except for the big dent in the door. And the dent behind the bumper.

But, the seller does appear to be rather forthcoming about the various issues. I see nothing that a stack of cash can't fix.

12. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    My car is for sale if anyone is interested
    I put an ad in the classifieds but thought to mention it here.
    Car is completely sorted and I just put $$& into what ever was needed (fixed all the leaks and seeping).
    Car is ready to enjoy

13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Well, duh... picture me with my face red... it never occurred to me that they might be talking about the INSIDE of the targa top!

14. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    21K-Mile 1983 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalvole | Bring a Trailer

BaT Essentials
    Lot #5405
    Chassis: ZFFMA13AXD0045325
    20,600 Miles
    2,926cc DOHC V8
    5-Speed Manual
    Blue Sera Over Blue Leather
    Belt Service in 2014
    Largely Unmodified
    Rebuilt Steering Rack
    Service Records Since 1991
    Cromodora Metric Wheels
    Private Party or Dealer: Private Party

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I'm very happy when I see a 208 turbo outside Italy: This car is not well known abroad

Ciao

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Still close ;-)

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Buy it, so there will be one in Hong Kong too!

Ciao

18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    He wanted EUR100k...

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    That's one is not an euro 100 k car, in my opinion

Ciao

20. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Definitely not. Starting with the disegno Pininfarina badge on the right rear wing behind the wheel...

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The Pininfarina badge is in the correct place: That's a turbo, not a QV. That car looks very good but not so much to reach a 100 k value: I wanted to say just that, it's not bad at all

Ciao

22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Oh interesting. Only one side like some Dinos?

23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    And some 308s. ;)

24. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    To my knowledge, there is only one 308 originally equipped with 2 Pininfarina badges, and it's the one Leonardo Fioravanti bought from new.