What is a " Dealer Fee" Charged For? | FerrariChat

What is a " Dealer Fee" Charged For?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Feather, Jul 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Feather

Feather Rookie

Jul 26, 2017
    Can anyone advise me what a " Dealers Fee" is for on s new car?

Just another route to make money?

2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Yes. Absolutely extra profit for the dealer.

Do you notice a "shop supplies" charge on your service invoices? Mechanics started that one to up their profits about 15-20 years ago. Burns my ass up.

Perhaps I should charge my patients for the drops, tissues, paper towels, alcohol swabs I use during their exam. Hell why not just charge them for the Rx pads as well?

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I never understood why people do that in the billing rather than lumping it into the pricing? Why make the nickel and diming so obvious to the customer? Is it to make the prices falsely low when advertised to get people in then tack it on?

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I went to look at the first Alfa Guilas that arrived at my dealer. He claimed they were selling them at "MSRP".

So I look at the sticker and it loaded with stupid "dealer options" that no one would want, including nitrogen in the tires for like $500. All in all, about 3 grand added -- but it was still MSRP!

What a rip off.

5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    In Illinois, they are "documentary fees". They are about $175.00 and they are on EVERY new and used vehicle from any dealer. Do you want to hear the best part? They are taxable!

6. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Have you asked the dealer? It varies from document fees to straightforward profiteering.

7. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Used to be listed as ;)
    ADP
    Additional dealer profit, guess that got old quick.

8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Got forbid you let the air out of all 4 tires and demand a $500 discount ;)

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Florida is the king in this category.

$600 is pretty standard for the "Dealer Fee"

However, when you push, they'll shave it down to about $175.00, and you think you're getting a deal.

Last time I leased a car, it had about $2K in dealer junk added, including the dreaded nitrogen in the tires fee of about $200.

I told them to take it out of the tires and put regular air in. They told me the $200 included filling the tires for life when the pressure needed adjusting. I reminded them that nitrogen is much less likely to need adjusting. Eventually we settle on $50 for that.

Pin stripes, window tint, they even tried to charge for a tank of gas. Told them to leave it empty.

I hate dealer fees that are BS, and there are a lot of them. The local Ford guy I lease from understands me now and just strips out the BS on the car price before we even get started.

D

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The "dealer fee" in Switzerland is Swiss Francs 1'000 (=US$ 1'100, one thousand one hundred).

Marcel Massini

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    We had that about fifteen years ago already in Switzerland, a complete joke.

Marcel Massini

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Cool. Because I love making an appointment at the dealer and driving across town to add a bit of air to my tires, instead of going to the gas station 3 blocks away.

13. mcg

mcg Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The Documentary Fee was explained to me by a salesman as contributing to the Dealer Principal's 401(k) Plan.

14. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I guess the joke could be taken one step further. How about Helium filled tires to make a car "lighter" and better handling?

15. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    The earth's atmosphere is 85% Nitrogen anyway. Unless you are racing, nitrogen filled tires are a joke and a rip-off.
    Alden

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    And dealers wonder why they have a crap reputation.....On second thought they don't wonder about it. They don't think about it at all.

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#17 dwhite, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Of course you charge your patients for these things, you just don't itemize them on the bill. Never saw a business not incorporate operating expenses into their costs for running a business.

I'm sure you also don't deduct them from your revenue to figure your profits and taxable income.

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I asked if he'd come to the house if I had a flat and fill it up.

Sales guy said, "Nope."

So did I. :D

D

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's all a matter of supply and demand. If the car is in enough demand they will tack on as much as they can. If the reverse is the case, you can get them down until they say "uncle". :)

20. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    It is actually, "By volume, dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Air also contains a variable amount of water vapor, on average around 1% at sea level, and 0.4% over the entire atmosphere."

21. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    They're just blissfully ignorant of such things. Ever ask a doctor what a test or procedure costs? They will look at you like a deer looks at the front of the car right before it is struck.

22. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    When I was a contractor and told the client it would be $1200 for a door installed, they would balk. But if I quoted them $600 for the door, $100 for removal and hauling of old door, $100 for framing alterations, $150 for moulding, and $250 for install all was well.
    It just depends on your type of business and the perceived value of your goods and service.

23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    A doctor complaining about car service pricing? That's rich!

24. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

My granfather was an MD in rural PA and helped with establishing Geisinger Medical Center. I think he took a couple chickens and a loaf of bread as payment for service back in the 30s & 40s, my how times have changed.

25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It's not just demand. It's people not knowing what it is and just thinking it is an actual expense or work provided by the dealer.

They call it administrative fee here. I have even seen it on used cars dealers. It is as if you went to whole foods and saw a stocking fee because they have to pay employees to actually put the food on the shelf.