mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #1 darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cappo likes this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I wonder if GM prosecutes "leakers?" Seems awfully stupid for that Corvette salesman to claim responsibility.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I thought I had heard over the years that GM regularly coordinates "leaks."

Mark

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, only 11,359 more leaks to go!

Tomorrow's leak, the right front wheel bearing!

Phil~ and F485 like this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If those are vetet panels it looks like they are keeping the hard edge stealth plane folded paper look. Considering how great an aventador and C7 looks with this style I am hopeful.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So excited that this is actually happening. Is 2019 the release year?

7. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    I'm understand it will run at Le Mans that year so my guess is yes.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I can guess that car in ..... 3 panels!

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  12. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  13. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I just cannot believe we're still a year and a half away from the start of production. How long is the C7 life cycle supposed to last...or is the mid-engine Vette going to be a/the C8?

Mark

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #14 TheMayor, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    If it has electric motors on the front wheels, I'm not a fan.

What I was hoping for was a simple, solid, low maintenance and high value for $$$ Mid engine V8 with a manual gearbox option

You know --- a Corvette. Electric motors and batteries? Meh... seems they are building another "new NSX".

15. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    After a good hard look at that wrapped car maybe we're all being fooled and they're actually bringing back the El Camino?

bocaf430 likes this.
  16. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Lol. I thought the same thing. That rear deck lid it LONG. Let's hope it is more appealing in final form without camo.

Mark

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Now we know why those panel are on the floor and not the car!

18. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Mid-engine V8, good balance, relatively low weight and awesome Ferrari/Lambo mid-engine dimensions with beautiful body work- this could be a great car!! Could be but: PLEASE no batteries, hybrid systems, electric drive etc- keep it lighter, simple, big V8 no turbos, superchargers, batteries, front wheel electric motors, 10 buttons on the steering wheel (a pet peeve of mine on newer Ferraris) etc...In my opinion, these are the things that the NSX did WRONG.

The Corvette should be a powerful V8 sports car, with a naturally aspirated mid-engine V8.

The NSX should have been a more light-weight car with a high revving V6 or high revving mid-sized V8 (the new NSX actually looks nice and edgy- just too much going on with the hybrid crap).

I'm with The Mayor 100% on this...

jgriff likes this.
  19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Average Corvette buyer is like 64 years old. Maybe they like those kinds of things. :)

A showed my Corvette C7 to a good friend of mine and the first thing he said to me was "So --- when did you retire?" :)

20. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    That is funny:) I saw a beautiful electric blue C7 on the road this morning with a 70-ish year old (or 70 years young) man driving it. Car looked fantastic. I do think with the C7 they have attracted a younger audience (I note that several guys in their early 30's at my gym have C7s for example)

The C7 is a beautiful car- I looked at one a few years back after I sold my 360, but just too big of a car for me- more like a GT/sports car mix, whereas I was looking for the go-kart feel of the F355 spider for my next toy... I got behind the wheel in the showroom, and the long hood feeling immediately brought back memories of my '90 convertible I had years ago

21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I like mid-engine cars, having owned a 308GTS bought new
    but I think going from front engined to mid-engined would lose a big
    chunk of customers (I can just hear the wife saying "But where do we put the suitcases?"
    And if the owners are as old as someone else here said (64?) they are not going to like scrunching down to get in a mid-engined car. I look at 20000 sales annually, world wide, which GM might not mind if they are close to $100K.
    But I also hate to see the Corvette get more expensive than the workers at the plant can afford, that was the grat thing about musclecars in the Sixties, the workers could afford the cars they built. There's something egalitarian about that....

And really, what's the advantage, so it can corner 1/10th of a G faster?
    The C7 is already one of the best handling cars in the US automaker inventory.

Though I used to feel having a front engined American sports car put us in a backwater technologically compared to the foreign tin, now I see the mid-engined category as too small a niche to bother to aim for...kind of say like hand-made shoes...sure some American firm could go up against Lobb and hand tailor shoes to fit, but what, sell a couple thousand pairs a year?

22. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe sales success depends on PRICE and keeping it within range of a conventional Corvette. My thought is that price needs to be held under $139K. Anything much over that seems to be trying to pirate sales from the NSX, which is perceived to be over-priced.

23. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I doubt they'll market the mid engine car to the same demographic as the front engine car. I hope they plan to sell so many that they're able to maintain a base model that sells for under 100k.

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I predict that in the 18 months remaining before production "starts" GM will once again drop the project as they have so many times before.

It's a looooooooooooooong time and the bean counters still rule what goes on there.

25. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I actuallly don't care what a factory worker can afford. Can he feed house and feed himself after a good days work? That I do hope and care for. I like having cars that most can't afford. It gives me another goal to strive for.

Corvette is trying to shutup the naysayers. However, no matter how much the Corvette beats Ferrari or Porsche by, there are people who will say "Yeah, It is impressive, but it is no Ferrari, Porsche" ...or any high end car. That's because Corvette has a brand image that simply is not as lofty as those others. I feel that it is an insurmountable hurdle. Is a Rolex more accurate than a Seiko? No, but it can cost 100x more and people still buy them.

Is a Corvette an impressive performer? Absolutely! Will it beat my F430 around a track or at a stoplight? Probably. Do I want a Corvette? Nope. I've owned lots of them and they no longer stir any emotions in me.