great Sheehan Classiche article | FerrariChat

great Sheehan Classiche article

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by rob lay, Aug 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    best indépendant detailed description I've seen. not posted on site yet, but Michael's site is Michael Sheehan?s Articles - Page 1.

2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I find this a bit disturbing, to be honest. Needless to say, I disagree completely. I am, however, still some way away from being an owner, so who cares what I think...

Thanks for the article, Rob.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't agree with his statement. The 308/TR guys are who I hang out with the most and there is zero demand for Classiche. Heck more than half the guys don't keep up with majors since they cost $8-10k now. I had Classiche done because Boardwalk offered me great deal being their test mule.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I found the discussion of the holdbacks interesting. Disturbing to me is that the dealers in the Classiche program are pushed to send restoration work to the factory when we have some of the finest shops in the US. There are some instances where the US shops are more accurate in their restorations than the factory.

5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Yeah, I just got through reading this. I'm on Sheehan's email list.

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Like Jeff noted the 'holdbacks' section makes for interesting reading. Especially regarding selling 35k in options at a minimum on each car sold. Also making the sales quota when there is a waiting list?
    There was a lot of back and forth some time ago about buyers being forced to spend extra on options to get an early new car. Others denied this was a criteria; with no pressure to increase the list price.

I wonder how long this article will stay here...

7. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Interesting for sure, but am I with you. To be honest, I disagree completely as well. "Ferrari Classiche marks up any work under its direction ..." and is billing after a spectacular margin not only for the outsourced work but for the certification ... No added value will be produced. This is plain business driven marketing with dealers and naïve victimes ... I don't care and of course who cares about me ...

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I was told by Ferrari in the UK that it can take between 6 and even longer than 12 months after the inspection by the authorised Classiche agent and then submission of the information to Classiche at Maranello for the attestation to be made and to receive the certification.

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Did they describe this duration as a function of the type of car? I would expect that many regular production cars sail through as there is virtually no research required to know the as built. On the other hand those very early cars or ones that were raced in period (especially the factory cars) could have far more research effort and with the race cars how it started life may not legitimately equal its final race build.

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Agreed .... Hence why I beleive holding onto your invoices if you are a service checkbook owner, or a DIY to keep the parts receipts and a log with mileage, and lots of pictures.

Somehow this red book is being taunted as a maintence book, a lot of good this book does any owner if the car burns a quart of oil every 200 miles.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Guess there is no such thing as a "base" car.

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    He didn't specify the cars. I enquired about getting a Dino 246 GT and a Boxer certified. Interestingly it costs quite a bit more for a Dino than Boxer.

I have noticed that Hexagon Classics in London sell quite a few cars that have been Classiche certified during the time it takes them to prepare the cars and present them for sale, so it's not always the case that it takes that long.

13. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've always felt that the Enzo Era cars are worth certifying, the Fiat cars and forward are a waste of money particularly now with the changes to the program.

14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    It becomes even more strange as now LaFerrari etc. that are for sale come with the certification....

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well that settles it for good....i had not really planned on getting classiche certification on any of my cars, and i am really not going to do it now !

these extortionate edicts are really insulting.

how to suck the fun out of the hobby in a hurry.

i guess thats what happens when its all about the money.

may be time to focus on other marques....

16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #16 davemqv, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Classiche certification has always seemed like a unnecessarily manufactured "stamp of approval" to me. People seemed to do a pretty good job of restoring cars or determining originality before the program started. Is a car that has been perfectly restored by say - Perfect Reflections and Patrick Ottis, with a full history report by Marcel Massini, any less valuable or "right" than a Classiche car? I doubt it. All things being equal if I was choosing between a classiche certified car and a car redone by those guys (or others with similar reps), I'd choose the car done by the independents.

Car people are suckers for wanting "all the stuff", especially as it pertains to the idea of originality. Ferrari guys are the most afflicted by this disease. Porsche has an inexpensive certificate for their guys. Ferrari (not surprisingly) figured out a way to make a boatload of money off the same instinct offering full service restoration at the "company store"...with company store pricing.

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you said it: suckers.

its insulting.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Funny how we are all free market capitalists until it comes to Ferrari. ;)

19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    In a free market as a customer I can vote with my wallet. As long as Ferrari doesn't hold a gun to your head you can tell them to pound sand with their Classiche stuff. :)

20. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Well, really, is it a free market? I mean, SpA struts in (late to the game, I might add, and seemingly without giving nary a care in the past decades) and makes declarations about what's what. Oh, and pay me. A LOT. Especially if you want our seal of approval.

Okay, while this is still technically voluntary, the tactics employed to pressure dealers trickle down to the customer, too. If dealers don't generate so much work, they're harmed. Who, ultimately, pays the price for that? It's the customers. So, as Ross says, it's not exactly "fun" or a good "experience" when you feel that your arm is being twisted.

What SpA has done, of course, is to unilaterally declare itself the be-all, end-all. And, if you don't play along, well, maybe you won't get that coveted slot in the next allocation. Further, arguably, there's been collusion between auction houses (at least one, openly), because they now refuse to auction a car without certification. So, that's not really a free market, is it? That's SpA using its' power and leverage to exclude as a way of driving revenues and profits. One can argue that an Owner doesn't have to sell through that auction, but what's being done is the creation of a two-tier value. Either you have certification or you don't. Does this generate a premium v. discount situation? Is this some sort of misuse of authority that profits those who bow down but penalizes those who don't?

In anti trust law, you can't use monopoly power to extract above-normal profits. Arguably, this is exactly what SpA is trying to do.

Smart buyers will always do their due diligence. And, if you're paying hundreds of thousands or more for a car, I expect you will have a good understanding of what you're getting. But, it's always a caveat emptor arrangement. Even with some silly piece of paper that SpA, itself, completely undermined by certifying un-certifiable cars.

CW

21. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    from a business perspective, i can understand their actions.
    but from my enthusiast perspective it really pisses me off.

as cornerswell points out, they are now imposing their edicts through other ways, and the aspect i am most disappointed about is the tribute rallies - specifically the mille ferrari tribute that i participated in a few years ago with my 360cs, and was fully intending to participate in with my f40 (BEFORE having resto work done on it since it is quite damaging). now apparently they will not allow me to do so without classiche certification, which is not what i want to do because i have the usual after market additions on the f40 like newer turbos, bigger brakes, tubi, fire extinguishers, etc.
    so they have effectively spoiled my chance at a desired experience unless i pay their extortionate fees and put my car back to factory settings - that dont work as well.

ok, screw them.

but they really dont care. they will sell every car they make, and oblige everybody to go through the classiche ringer whether i like it or not. its like working with the government !

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I'll never understand why everyone gets so upset about Classiche, or any other revenue stream that Ferrari has. They aren't a civic institution, they're a business, and they always have been. Enzo himself was a shrewd customer. You're not required to take advantage of the service. I happen to think that Classiche is pretty cool. Like it or not, an official factory stamp of authenticity will only continue to grow in value, and they are wise to continue to prop up this business unit. I happen to own a new car (2017 488 GTB), but if I do acquire an older car someday, I will likely have it Classiche certified.

23. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #23 ASK328, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    They are going to start making SUV's, Corp wants to "double profits", next recession they will not sell every car they have. The FF's, cal's, and SUV's will languish on dealer lots. It's a greedy Corp mistake, and as many said Ferrari changed drastically the day of the spin off and the IPO.

As for me a find myself looking @ 911TT's and McLaren's more -

I agree with everything u wrote, the new rules are crazy.

24. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    There is a lesson to be learned here that Ferrari Corporate is ignoring- they may not be on top forever. Everything has a product life cycle. Once upon a time, Lotus 1-2-3 was the gold standard in spreadsheets and has now gone the way of the dodo bird.

25. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    While being far from an owner, I understand the dynamic of the enthusiast. They are truly engaged and enthusiastic with the brand and what it represents, and see this as an intrusion, and damaging to that perception. It seems that this system is subject to being abused by paid favors, and the confusing car that is totally non-stock being certified as so. Like I said, I am far from an owner, but if I was, I would not like being dictated to. As someone else said, there are new players, McLaren for one, and the old standards, Porsche, Maserati, Lamborghini, to consider. This is just my opinion, and as an outsider, may be all wet.