thinking of a Mclaren 570s | FerrariChat

thinking of a Mclaren 570s

Discussion in '360/430' started by bocaf430, Aug 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I have been thinking of selling my 2005 F1 F430 spider.... to get into a 570s... anyone here compared the two? driven both to compare good and bad? When I see the 570s on the road it looks much smaller, more modern and from I have read... better riding.... here on Long Island the roads are not like Florida... roads suck here.. so I think the McLaren would fit in better..plus my F430 was lowered... I would have to raise it up if I do keep it and bring it to LI....

2. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have an F430 (gated) and a 570s (I also just purchased a home in Boca ��). 570s is far more refined, more comfortable, more steering feedback (I believe it is hydraulic) and much faster. Exhaust note does not sound as good however, when you role the windows up, cabin is relatively quiet and it is as comfortable for cruising as my Audi S4 was. On the downside, the 570 does have some turbo lag and the frunk is smaller than the one in the F430 (just large enough to hold one wheely carry on bag + a little). I rarely drive the 430 more than an hour (I am ready to get out of the car after an hour) but would not hesitate to drive the 570 from FLA to Chicago. In fact of my cars, it would probably be the most comfortable for the trip if you factor driving enjoyment. So I find the 570s more versatile. I keep the 430 because I love the manual shift and the ferrari makes great noises. If I had to choose one, sadly the Ferrari would lose. In fairness, remember the first 570 came to market 11 years after the first F430 so really not surprising the 570 wins.

Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  3. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I have no experience with McLaren other than seeing a few more lately on the streets locally. I sat in a 650S and I felt cramped. I have a 430 MT unit. Saw a 570 just this week in Delray. Good looking car. I have no desire to get one though.

The wife likes them but won't trade her 458 for one.

4. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had absolutely no interest until I drove one FWIW.

5. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Hmm, interesting question. I have more experience with the McLaren (I was responsible for all quality control testing at the dealer I was at) than I do the F430 but I have at least driven both.

I think it depends what your goal and use for the car would be, from your post it sounds like you may get more of your money worth out of the 570S by being able to use it often and for longer periods at a time. The 570S is a complete weapon, and one that you need to spend time with to really appreciate in my opinion. The more you get to know the car, the more its capabilities will amaze you. Frankly, it is one of the most fun to drive out of the McLaren line up.

Getting in it you can tell the car wears you like a glove and within the first few meters you can tell just how stiff that carbon chassis is. Providing feedback, great steering, great brakes and awe-inspiring acceleration when you are on the throttle while being completely docile, comfortable and practical when you need it to just be a normal car. That is what the real winning ticket is, you could really drive the 570 every day if you wanted to, it is such a great machine.

Seems like you'd be keeping the Ferrari for the nostalgia, the slightly clunky and slightly uncomfortable quirks that give the car its personality. You have to ask, how important is the cars personality and does the 570S create the same feeling? If not, are you willing to make a compromise because you'd get to enjoy the 570 more?

Best of luck!

6. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    When I had my Gallardo 6 speed I also had a 996tt tiptronic..... I liked driving the Porsche more because no shifting... more comfortable...felt like it could take a beating... the lambo..I was always thinking will it break down..lol a lot of attention... I feel the 570s might be like the 996tt an everyday drivable exotic.... I need to look at a few, drive them...

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I've been thinking the same but more interested in the 650s convertible. Same reasons - I think I would drive it more often.

8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The 720S has been calling my name lately!

9. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    HOWL do you have any photos of your cars together?

10. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No. I have pictures taken within moments of each other in my garage but none that captures both cars at once (they are not parked next to each other)

11. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    F430 vs 570?
    .....DUUUDE!!!!
    not even in the same league.
    the ML wins no contest.

12. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Back to the same old question asked so many times in the 458 v 430 debate.

Basically two cars a generation apart, the more modern designed to over come all the faults of the former, and meet safety, noise, and modern civility standards.

If you want raw, visceral experience go for the 430 but don't expect the same standards as a car born 12 years later, built to pander perhaps to a reshaping and setting of standards.

But those McLarens do look temping!!!

I'm sure you'll reason it out - what a choice.

13. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I drove one at the track and was very disappointed on how it felt. I also drove a GT3RS and a Huracan the same day. It just did not feel right - felt a little numb. I drove an MP4-12C and it felt so much better. I know, just my opinion. Now the 650 or 720...that is a different ball game. :)

14. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I would love a 720s, but I never track a car, hardly ever even leave it parked... its pretty much a toy to just blast around in... really just a waste of money.... but I like seeing my cars in the garage...lol

15. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    Had a test drive in the 570s... better car in every way compared to the 430. But 430 does give you a more "special" feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. ph12

ph12 Karting

Jun 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    How bad is the turbo lag in 570s?

17. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I had a 570S for three months, was also on a race track with it, a very impressive and convincing car. Regarding to all measurable hard facts clearly superior to my Scuderia.

Today I own a 650S coupe next to the Scuderia because a 650S is still a little more brutal and more extreme than a 570S.

Turbo lag? Noticeable but not decisive, it is simply not an issue. The turbo punch is so extreme you will start to love and to need the kick in your bag, you will adjust a little bit your driving style.

When it comes to the question "would I trade a F430 for a 570S?": wow, what a difficult question. I guess no, I would not. When you get used to the extreme peformance of the McLaren, you will begin to miss the emotional component of the Ferrari.

18. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Also the involvement component - the McLaren is from the Playstation generation. I remember when the MP4-12C was tested against the 458 by one of the motoring mags, the McLaren was better in every measurable quantity: accel, top speed, weight, price, handling, but the jourmalist concluded that if he had to have only one of the 2 in his garage, it would be the 458.

19. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    ^The heritage of a brand holds a lot of weight when making decisions which one to buy. And if everyone would select their car purely with brains, then it would be most often a Porsche. But if with heart... you know what it is.

20. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Each time the topic came up on Top Gear between a 458 and something else, I believe that no matter what the "stats", each them said they would take the 458.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

This is very true - I love my 430 as I have it setup and the car has been solid BUT I am so tempted to trade. The market is soft right now so values aren't great for 430's which I think will keep some from moving to something else.

22. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I suggest you drive a 570s before making this comment. It is just no true. 570s has hydraulic steering and is very involving. Easy to get the car to drift. I find it not as engaging as a 430 but much more engaging than a 458 or 488. Never drove a 12C but did drive a 650. After driving the 650 I knew I would own a McLaren one day as it had wicked performance AND is engaging. Steering reminds me of my 328.

As far as journalist are concerned, don't know what to say. Seems they frequently select a Porsche, BMW or Ferrari as the winner of any shoot out. Personally, I have never understood the fascination with the 911. They need to eliminate the rear seat and move the engine forward so they can achieve the balance of a Cayman (that is a great car for the $$$). Until then it always feels like you are driving with sandbags in the trunk.

23. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    #23 joe1973, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    ^ you' touched a nerve with Porsche-files. The rear engine especially in 993 and earlier models is a treat. Different I agree but special especially on tracks. The cayman which I also drove and tracked is not as engaging.
    Now for the McLaren topic, I'm actually intrigued given the reviews of the 570, relative affordability and the fact that when Ferrari does launch an SUV I'll would really like to have a marque in my garage that soccer moms won't be driving. Sexist for sure but I can blame my many decades watching Clarkson-era Top Gear.

24. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Just shows how different things affect us all in different ways. I love the 911's (I have a 964) and not particlarly fond of the McLarens. So my early comments fit the profile :)

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Hmmm...

I have a 993 C4S and am thinking about a 570S.

I haven't driven one, tho.

But as far as engaging, a 430 stick is the bomb.

Matt