BMW guys on FerrariChat? | Page 65 | FerrariChat

BMW guys on FerrariChat?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by DriveAfterDark, May 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    #1601 JaguarXJ6, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Nope, you have the normally aspirated N52B30 motor unless someone did a swap. N54 is twin turbo. Still, they are awesome cars. I have put 50k in 2.5 years on my 535i, spent way too much money in fixing it, but it is a beast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N52#N52B30

If you don't have parking sensors, getting the bimmernav back up camera is one of the best things I have done to my car. $1k installed at a shop, worth it.

FYI, washer pumps fail often, and to get to it you remove the front driver's wheel liner. I am on my third.

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Sorry, 535xi it is indeed the N54. Typo, can't go back to correct it.

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Got a 428xi a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing sexy, but if it is reliable it will be a nice car for a couple of years before handing down to my daughter when she turns 16.

5. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Sunny, it's been a while! Waterpumps, HPFP, injectors, wastegate rattle are the main issues. The car, stock, reacts well to a light tune, easily 40-60hp and 60-80tq on pure stock parts. I am going to do a dyno runs with it next week.

It is a neat car. She'll be happy with it as a first car.

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thanks Tim! My mechanic has two and convinced me to go Stage 1 with intakes, charge pipe, and flash. I don't think I want to go the JB4 route but I know it's there.

It's like a modern day Supra motor. Forged internals, takes well to boost, decent on fuel. I don't have the later iDrive which is disappointing, but I couldn't pass it up.

I have the Bamboo Anthracite but thinking of switching it out with my mechanic for the Light Poplar. The darker wood with his black interior and the additional contrast for my lighter interior will look sharp.

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Cold air intakes are bogus. I have DCIs and if you see the forums, nobody has seen any benefits, just sound. I have turbosmart BOVs on an ER chargepipe for sound. The pipe does not need to be changed, only if the plastic is old and brittle.

Down pipes without cats in non-smog states are awesome, and a JB4/Cobb/MHD are more flexible than a tune and cheaper.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Great advice! I wouldn't mind downpipes and being in a smog free area (outside Denver) is a consideration. That with a tune will likely be the most efficient gains. I do like how tomb quiet it is.

9. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Oooh, nice. We picked up our 2008 535xi at the beginning of 2013 with about the same mileage. It now has 144K. Gotta love those sport seats. Hubby's thinking of getting a newer one, but they unfortunately don't make the manual transmission with awd any more.

Ours had been a CPO and had gotten two brand new turbos before we bought it. Then we had a coil pack go, and the HPFP went out at around 110K - BMW covers this as a warranty item until 120K / 10 years from the in-service date, I believe.

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Very nice! I am a big fan of the seats and the 20-way adjustment. Water pump and HPFP have already been replaced. No wastegate rattle at all here, quiet as a church mouse. Grandma certainly didn't abuse the turbos!

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #1611 merstheman, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The new Z4 was just revealed in Monterey. I think it looks incredible! The only thing I'd do without are the buttresses behind driver & passenger seats, which I always think look fussy, and don't make the car a true roadster. But I'd say the chances of them being gone by the time the car reaches production are high. Anyway I like how it looks. The world needs as many front engined RWD 2 seat roadsters as it can get! Plus, it's going to have a manual option, they say....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Marcopolo3382 likes this.
  12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That looks so aggressive, I'm a huge fan.

13. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I have been waiting for the Z4 to get a new treatment. that nose is very sexy, and the m packages a year in will be terrific

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Shared platform with the new Supra, which is rumored to be DCT only and will only be available in hardtop.

The front of that is very aggressive. I like it. It needs to be Sakhir Orange! Oh baby.

15. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I want it in that yellow!

16. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    JB4+cable, intakes, charge pipe+BPV, catless downpipes+fooler, plugs, coils, and VANOS solenoids for the N54 to be delivered next week. Retaining stock exhaust for a quiet, aggressive note. Setting the boost cut at 14psi to start and see how trims and timing actually perform. For daily that lives mostly under 4K RPM it will be a gentle cruiser, with a little extra.

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Mixed feelings on this. I have to see the production car to make a conclusion.

18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Results? My altitude baseline dyno will be done next week and then the mods and dyno a couple weeks after that.

19. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I really like the bmw z4 concept. My worry is that the production car will not look like that at all. I hope I am wrong. Love this design.

Robb

20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I have the wastegate rattle i need to fix :/

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Not good. Pure Turbo replacements are all the rage and well priced. The JB4 allows you to control wg actuation to raise or lower RPM to mask the rattle. It sucks these are integrated into the turbo.

22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    The wastegate rattle is not fixed when the flap is unevenly seated just through software. I have thought about the pure turbos, it might be worth the $2500 to do them.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  23. mx5mike

mx5mike Rookie

Oct 4, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Not a Ferrari owner yet but in a few years that should change.. here is my 195k mile 98 328i 5 speed sedan toy. Lightly modified with M3 3.38 lsd diff, intake, exhaust, comforti tune, staggered M3 contour wheels, H&R sport Springs, Koni shocks, rouge engineering rtab’s and trans mounts, M3 3 spoke steering wheel, bavaudio speaker upgrade, cross drilled and slotted rotors, porterfield R4S pads, reinforced subframe mounts and rear sway reinforcements. Still have other mods planned but with 3 year old twins time is not on my side.

Boomhauer and TestShoot like this.
  24. Doom

Doom Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doom
    Boomhauer and TestShoot like this.
  25. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Just pulled my M3 out of the warehouse this weekend to drive it some (98 E36 sedan, MT)--still love the car.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.