pics of my engine out service | FerrariChat

pics of my engine out service

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Fritz Ficke, Aug 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #1 Fritz Ficke, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I sold my 400! 5-speed awhile ago, but never posted pictures of my engine out service.
    The real helpful thing I found out in this was that was the oil in water issue was caused by the oil filter counsel oil feed tube O-rings. That could have bee fixed easily in an after noon with out removing the engine.
    Some one else read my comments on that issue before and did a fix like I suggested and made a nice thread with pictures of his work. If you want more details and pictures on that fix, I would search for his thread.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #2 Fritz Ficke, Aug 6, 2017
  3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice to see the engine all cleaned up but I sure hope that your reason for pulling it in the first place wasn't to fix that oil in the coolant problem.

4. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #4 Fritz Ficke, Aug 7, 2017
    That was one of the main reasons. Unfortunately It seems I had the first post on the oil filter o-rings, and this is how I found out.
    Then I discovered that the timing chain and rails really do wear out in 50,000 miles and the valve guides also.
    So it was worth while, but what a lot of work every 40,000 miles to maintain these engines.
    No lifting eyes or bolts really strong enough for lifting points, so I slung it.

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Fritz,

Thanks for the pics!

Indeed, using a sling is not that uncommon... in fact that is really the only way to remove the Boxer engine as well. In the BB case one must also use a "lift balancer" in order to change the pitch/angle of the engine in order to get it out of the car. The angle is crazy and a bit unnerving too...

How long would did it take you to remove the engine? I ask, as I will be removing my 365 GT4 2+2 engine sometime in the near future. Ahh the joys of ownership :)

Cheers,

Sam

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Thanks for sharing that with us Fritz, even after she's gone 😩

7. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #7 Fritz Ficke, Aug 7, 2017
    Sam, Look at the picture closely of the engine slung and you will see my "lift balancer" a come-a-long on the front of the engine and the sling on the back middle for most of the weight and the come-a-long on the front doing the tilting.
    You will relive your unnerving BB experience with the angle. it is close but there is room and it really did come out pretty nice.
    Start to finish working slow, steady and carefully, two short days from hood off to engine out.
    Now I did have to weld up a engine mount adapter.
    Notice I made a factory style engine stand using two 'harbor Freight' stands to hold the engine on both sides at the engine mount locations and not on the bell housing like American Iron.
    These engines are surprisingly heavy and large, I would say treat it like a BBC for weight.

Here is a picture of the engine back together. I put about another 20,000 miles on it before I sold it.
    Really fun car, The best all weather highway cruiser I owned. I just felt bleed from the replacement parts cost and the maintence schedule.

8. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #8 Fritz Ficke, Aug 7, 2017
    Truly wonderful cars and I miss mine.
    Very usable, take another couple out to dinner, pick them up from the airport, etc.
    Trunk is easy to load groceries and hold lots of weekend luggage.
    So sure footed on ice and snow, powerful wipers that really clean the windshield well.
    Heater that leaves no fog anywhere and with dual controls so passenger is comfortable to the driver.
    Linear power that does not quite.
    Enjoy your cars guys! They are great!

9. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
  10. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
  11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Fritz,

Thank you for the additional info!

Indeed, I looked at your stand and thought that it looked very similar to the Factory Engine stand, but was different somehow... now I know! Also your idea to use two HF stands and create an adapter plate was also a great idea! Initially I did something like this for my BB, but ended up making my own BB engine pedestal, as the cheapie engine cradle I originally used (from a store similar to HF) started to fail... The stand was rated for 1000 lbs and yet started to crumple with only about 600 lbs on it.

Your car looks great!

Thanks again for your posts!

Cheers,

Sam

12. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can't believe that was 5 years ago
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/376670-oil-coolant.html

M

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Pretty crappy to have to do all of that work at 40-50,000 miles. By the time I get all of the little projects done on my car I can look forward to an engine rebuild.

Maybe it's time to find another fun car.

14. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
  15. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #15 Fritz Ficke, Aug 12, 2017
    I went back to old Porsches, A lot less maintence. I like old Porsche and they are fun but there is a certain 'magic' that Ferraris have that is not in Porsches.
    I have good memories of my time with that car, like remembering an old high maintence girl friend I used to have, it was fun. but I also remember why I am not with her any more. I just got tired of the maintence cost in time and money. Just like the 400I.
    The two Italian cars are gone in this picture.

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I'm thinking 1st Gen NSX.

17. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Great car. There is a joke about those, What do NSX owners have to talk about? not much, how they wash them? how they have to turn the A/C down because it works to well? there is just no pain/sacrifice in ownership other than purchase price so they have little to talk about at the meetings.

18. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    I bought one (1995 NSX-T manual gearbox) a year ago, the power steering system just failed:), so I have at least one thing to talk about. Nevertheless I am a very happy owner.