Best way to get a 488 GTO Allocation? | FerrariChat

Best way to get a 488 GTO Allocation?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by yumaverick, Aug 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yumaverick

yumaverick Rookie

Jul 1, 2017
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hey Guys,

I went to my local Ferrari dealer and they told me the guys that they're giving spots to are the ones that buy more than 5 Ferrari's a year from them. I'm open to paying for someones spot for a reasonable price if someone can help. I'm really excited for this car!

Any Idea's would be appreciated! Thanks

2. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I went to a presentation by Ferrari and this is what I was told:

Ferrari allocates limited cars, and perhaps cars in short supply for other reasons, based on how much a member of the Ferrari "family" you are.

Each customer who has bought within the last 20 years has a Ferrari profile, number and points score. Your points score is how you’re ranked for limited cars. There are two components to your points score - your Current Value to Ferrari and your Future Value. Your future value is essentially how they see you buying cars from them in the future - this is based on your buying profile and your age. Let’s say you’re sixty and have a forty year old with the same buying profile they’ll get more points as they will live longer!!! This only looks at a buying horizon of 10-15 years. If you’re 80 - good luck with Future Value points!!!

For Current Value the following are components which, both relate to the cars you buy and your interactions with Ferrari:

You get points for the cars you own. For normal Ferraris these points depreciate after 2 years rather like depreciation of a car. Super Cars old and new don’t have points depreciation
    You don’t get points for a normal car until you take delivery whereas for a super car like the La Ferrari you get points once you order.

You get points for second hand cars as you would for any other but you must get your dealer to enter it into MODIS. I assume the points are assigned based on the type of car and if any points depreciation is there for that year model.

You get points for your interaction with Ferrari. So for example attending previews, Ferrari organised dinners, races in the Ferrari Paddock, driver training etc. it seems most points would be for major interactions like the challenge series and GT3 and FXXX

I don’t remember the acronyms for the various values but your points score is the sum of Current and Future Value. No explanation was given as to the weighting of points or how many were given for each category - I presume this allows them slight wiggle room. In general it’s clear the more you interact with Ferrari the better and the more cars you have the better. Having limited models such as the TDF and Aperta clearly score reasonable points.

When allocating limited cars they don’t just offer them all to the top group. For the TDF they were first offered to people that had the 599 GTO and currently owned at least 3 Ferraris. The next grouping owned 3 Ferraris of which one must have been a V12 old or new and a limited edition car - and so on. The normal guy who holds a Ferrari for a few years sells it and buys a new one has zero chance for limited cars.

I was told a while back that for the new speciale version of the 488 the first on the list would be owners of the previous speciale.

3. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    David, as always thank you for sharing this information. Its provides a lot of insight as to how the allocation process works.

4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    While I believe what you said is true, I'm a member since 10 years and I know the buying history of many people here and lot of them don't fit the pattern

I have at least two members who had GTO's after ordering only one brand new 599 GTb each... That's just an exemple, I have plenty of stories

5. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    upon delivery, order the 488 GTO from the same dealer. Tell the dealer up front about the plan and make a deal commitment from them. Timing should be about right. The 812 delivery is about 2 years out. You can easily flip the 812 if you don't want to keep it after a year. The 488 GTO is likely to be a limited production car. Each dealer only has limited allocations. It will be a good investment in the short term.

abilliet and up4speed like this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

This is a great post and I dont know how much of this is true but if you really want one, just wait and just like the Speciale, Scud, etc etc, all these will be readily available. You might have to pay a slight premium but you have to decide if that premium is worth it to you.

7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Thank you DavidJames for sharing this info, it is very insightful.

8. yumaverick

yumaverick Rookie

Jul 1, 2017
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Thanks for the info guys! Really appreciate you taking the time to write that DavidJames

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yes very insightful! Worth mentioning although this should be obvious to everyone, buying a 4 seater weighs more than anything with 2 seats. Buying a new Lusso adds more points than a new 488. But don't let out the secret that driving a Lusso or FF is actually really fun!

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Les Wexner would have an astronomical 'Ferrari score' but he doesn't seem interested in the new
    cars...

It is very telling that the 'Ferrari score' has been operating for a couple of decades but with very little public knowledge.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    You re askin for a 488 "GTO" ?

You will not get one ... useless to ask here. I also will get none. Hardly anyone here will get one ... imo :D

12. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    It hasn't necessarily been operating for the past two decades as it's only recently that there has been the push with the limited cars and the fact that the people that get them tend to make a tidy profit. They've been tracking their customers for 20 years but only recently implemented this way of making selection for limited edition cars. If you're a strong member of the Ferrari "family" as described above then you will have priority. I think it's a reasonable approach.

13. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    I love how everyone keeps calling it the "488 GTO".......see, it just comes so natural and feels right......Ferrari please don't let us down......call it the 488 GTO for crying out loud

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #14 of2worlds, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    I certainly appreciate the detail you have provided but 'the push with the limited cars' was happening back in 1984. With the GTO however the complaint was that Ferrari had not gone far enough in creating a unique design. The GTO looked like a 308. Much of the demand came from the Americans who could not legally register the GTO for street use. This gray market problem was solved with the USA edition F40 that traded for huge premiums on the resale market when new. Ferrari refined their marketing by stating the number of cars built. The F50 was a rather challenging experience for them. With the turn over in factory staff it becomes somewhat difficult to know the buying history of customers. The number system sort of allows Ferrari to ignore their dealers and choose customers by the numbers themselves. It is quite the juggling act they have created! Unfortunately there was only one Amerigo Manicardi the Ferrari international sales manager.

15. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Excuse my ignorance, but is the 488 GTO (or whatever it ends up being named) truly a limited production car? Usually they are released during the last year of a model's production, and they make as many as possible, without harming builds for other vehicles, for 1 year, then that's it... To me, limited production means a final number is determined in advance (1 of X), which wasn't the case with the 458 Speciale or Scud.

I can assure you prior ownership is required, but perhaps anything beyond that is pure speculation. I firmly believe even mention/testing of the 488 "GTO" is strictly off the heels of Ferrari trying to tame the 720S release.

16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    If the Scud and 458 Speciale are replicated, then "yes" it will be produced in "higher" numbers and not a "limited to XXX" run. So in that sense its perhaps somewhat more akin to getting a year 1 F12 or year 1 488 than getting an Aperta or GTO.

I recall a couple of folks posting on F-chat that they secured a Speciale as their very first Ferrari. Most posters did not believe them, but IIRC there were a very, very small number who pulled that off somehow (I can't recall the geography, I *think* one was east coast USA and the others Europe). Anyway, "points" systems aside, there are ways to jump the que.

17. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    As anything in life. so true.

18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I assume the dealers have also some decision power; I guess the "points system" is rather providing guidelines which are more or less enforced by the factory depending on other factors (exclusivity of the model, demand vs offer, and so on).
    It's probably also convenient for the dealers to claim it's purely a factory decision when thay cannot satisfy all their customers.

19. geochin

geochin Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    George
    I'm selling my 2016 488GTB. If interested, pm me

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Walk in with a blank check and they'll get you a car. Buy there "used" 2014 FF for $100K over what they're asking and I'm guessing you'll get a 488 GTO allocation. I mean, you still probably won't get the first allocation because even $100K directly in your pocket is probably less than the best customers who buy millions in cars, but it should still get you one in your own spec eventually.

21. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Try to remember that the 599GTO and 16M were not overwhelmed with interest at the time, the world was ugly and many people were hesitant. Allocation was more decentralised.

LE's outside hyper series were basically a new concept. From 458SA onwards its been a bun fight, mainly because most Ferrari customers are "used to getting what they want" in life, plus free motoring is enticing, at least till they become scrap................(or art).

Dealers don't take depsoits on LE's now and know who the pool of "candidates" are.

Of course 488 Speciale is NOT an LE and 458 Speciale trades at 50% of the SA. Think 911 RS versus 911R.

22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Well in my market the pre-requisite for a 488VS is owning a 488. Even with this done its not guaranteed.

23. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    I was told I had to buy a standard 488, which I did.... previously owned cs,scud and Speciale, 488 sold at a premium back through dealer, deposit accepted recently on 488 VS.....I expect a car in 2019.

24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i doubt ordering an 812 will help - those sell out. buy a cali t, cali replacement, or a lusso. you want to make a real statement go order a lusso, cali replacement and buy a left over calit t on the same day

25. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    IMO, all these "you have to have a 488 or so many Ferraris for a 488VS allocation" is pure BS created by dealers just to sell you some more cars. None of the dealers don't know anything about this car. They don't know when it will be released, what it will be called and what the sale strategy will be. I have a very good relation with my dealer and asked him many times about such a car. He has zero information about any conditions to buy/order this car. Exact same info from my racing team who is also one of the biggest distributors in Switzerland. So don't believe in this hype. It is just too early to tell.