so how bad is a 2005 Maserati QP? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

so how bad is a 2005 Maserati QP?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ross, Mar 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I had a 2006 QP Sport-GT and loved it. I learned how to properly drive the duo-select and never had any issues at all. I did avoid stop-n-go traffic, and NEVER EVER reverse up a hill....that gets the most clutch slippage. I agree with others, if you drive the duo-select right, listen to the pump prime and learn what it is supposed to sound like, and maintain the car - it will treat you right. In 2007 which is the last year for duo-select, they made some system improvements...so it's the best year to get if you want a manual trans-axle in a 4 door sedan. I think it's very cool.

2. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I bought my 05 QP new from FCI in NC. I remember when Maserati introduced the car and my car guy friends would buy one for their wives. Big mistake. The cambiocorsa needs to be driven properly lest you burn the clutch long before it's time. I never use Auto where you could "take a nap" between shifts. With the shift delay an unknowing driver would hit the gas hard thinking that would get the car moving. Instead all it did was burn the clutch when it engaged. This is probably why the QP got such a bad rep from the beginning. For the US market they should have introduced the car with only auto.

The recommendation for shifting was to keep the same pedal position. That is nonsense. Think of it like any manual transmission w/o a 3rd pedal. Ease up on the upshift wait for full engagement and power down. She sounds great and pulls hard. It could have used a taller 6th gear [or 7th] for mileage but I don't care much about that. She does suck gas quickly at 100+. But cruising at 100+ is where the QP shines. And I think the handling is darn good. My girl has an '11 Granturismo....the QP is a far better handling car.

Maybe I have been lucky. After 12 years the biggest issue has been the stickies. No different than newer Ferraris except there is more plastic to become sticky in a QP. Costs have been mainly tires and regimented annual maintenance. The car has been fairly trouble free. The fact that it is worth so little and that I still love driving it so much has made it easier to keep. I can't see selling this car for any reason right now. The styling is so classic and it still turns heads in a town full of Ferraris and other exotics. Love my 05 QP.

3. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Sorry....my bad for calling the tranny by the wrong name. Duoselect is the proper moniker. Are there any software upgrades for the duo select to shorten the shift times? Was this improved on the 2007 models? I would not have bought the car if I wanted an automatic transmission. Such a beautiful sedan with a great motor and a (sorta) manual shift is what attracted me in the first place. I have no interest in the ZF auto. But I would love to improve the shifting.

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    SCantera.....check out Formula Dynamics website, they make an "enhancement module" that improves throttle response and also quickens the shifting.

I'm currently on the hunt for a 2006-07 Quattroporte, I want a Sport-GT. It will be my daily driver...so I'm primarily looking at the automatica cars, but a duoselect with lots of clutch left will also work.

5. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thanks Jeff. I will contact Formula Dynamics.

Hope you find a nice QP.....and a good duoselect too!!

6. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks SCantera....my search has been challenging and frustrating at times. Whatever QP I find will be my daily driver - I must be nuts. My first choice is a duo-select, but I think the automatica will probably be a better car for daily driving around town.

I'm finding out that good cars in desirable colors DO NOT stay on dealer's lots long. What is also frustrating is that many dealers do not know anything about these cars. Many cars are described as being a Sport-GT or Executive-GT but are in fact the base model. And most dealers do not have a clue about the duo-select cars, and do not understand why knowing how much clutch remains is so important to potential buyers like me. When searching the web nation-wide, and filtering using my criteria....there aren't many choices....usually less than 70 cars, and none of them are less than a 6 hour drive away. But I know that patience will eventually pay off, and I'll be a very happy guy to be in a fine Italian machine again!

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so i went to see an 09 today. i am kind of aiming at that year and above just because that was the facelift year along with a a few other improvements.

and i was disappointed.
    i drove there in my 2008 CL550, which is what i would be using to trade in against it, and the maserati just does not hold a candle to the mercedes on build quality, ride quality, switchgear quality etc.

i drove a 2010 qp from mugello back to geneva in 2010 (because the cs had broken a rotor on the track), and i remember it fondly....but 7 years on, it just does not seem to be of the same overall quality.

the colors of the qp in question were also not inspiring, along with extreme button stickiness, so maybe i will just hold off and see if a nice color scheme example comes up. in the meantime i will continue with the CL550.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Why dont you give the Alfa Giulia QV a try?

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What part of cheep do you not understand? Ross, ain't gonna spend a penny more than he has to. Man after my own heart.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    An 09 qp is a good fun car. I can't drive a MB. Just does nothing for me. I had a blue qp and it was nice enough with an orange/tan interior. If I had to get one today I wld do white with tan. I don't like sedans much fwiw. I'd rather drive the big RR than a sedan.

11. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The Alfa Guilia does nothing for me.
    Plus the depreciation is anathema to me. Sorry

I will keep looking at used qp's and maybe a nice color scheme will pop up - or these folks will lower the price enough to make it worth accepting it.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    a low mile 09 qp shld be in the 40s i wld think? is this what you are finding?

13. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McKeown
    Motor Mounts (was a Recall)
    02 sensors (it just seems to eat them)
    Tires (It's a fun freaking car. Deal with it)
    Sticky interior and Leather (Yep. Ways to solve the problems)

The issues with a lot of these and especially the early cars was they were marketed as direct competition for 7 Series and S-Classes. No one knew how to teach a daily driver how to properly use the DuoSelect (the correct name for the QP system) and they were eating clutches and providing a "poor" experience to the owners. Ownership costs are less than it's contemporaries and there are PLENTY of cheaper aftermarket upgrades and parts available

Like everything else, take care of it and it is a perfectly fine and reliable car.

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the tranny went fully automatic in 2009 i believe

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and lower....

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mmmh i may have to start looking at these again

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ross slightly smaller but have you thought about a giulia ti? They've caught my eye.

18. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I had one for a grand total of 3 months....didn't like it at all

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The giulia or qp? What was so bad?

20. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Qp...felt really old as far as electronics, wasn't comfortable, powerful, etc..... really wasn't impressed at all

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What year was yours?

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Complete piece of poopoo. Terrible clutch, poor inside... rather have an e63

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I drove several QP series V (2003-2012) and loved it so much I almost purchased one '09 GTS 4,7lt. I didn't pulled the trigger by then because I chose to get an SUV by then - family obligations. ;)

To my eyes, the looks are still amazing (Pininfarina, who else?), the sound is UNBELIEVABLY good, sport dynamics, etc.

Comparing to other brands contemporary models, I would still chose it.

I don't care about the infotainment (i use the iPhone for that), in fact it was a BOSE unit - similar to my 612.

Seats were great, steering was great and the gearbox also was good - I never tested the Duo select. But if its similar to the F1 on Ferrari models, I can live with that.

It was with surprise that I found this review today on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAHK1Uy9ao

24. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Italians know how to design cars. And that is it!
    I own a 07 QP and owned several ferraries. Looks good but sucks in quality. Where do you want me to start?
    Unnecessary mile long wiring looms, sensors, BS skyhook suspension, CEL that automatically pulls the hand brake, Ferrari heat that destroys the mounts, driveshaft mount loose, sticky crap interior, weak 20" wheels that bent by strong winds, low quality window regulators made of plastic (used wont work you need to buy new ones), jirky accelerator pedal that only recognizes acceleration seconds too late, etc.
    The first owners of these vehicles should not go through the troubles while paying so much for a vehicle. Even the new ones are at the dealerships not long after purchase with CELs and water finding its way through the windshield and firewall seals.

But, they look good and when running properly, they are a joy to drive. "When running properly."
    That's 80% of the time :)

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Looks like demuro reviewed it and completely trashed it...check his 05 quattroporte review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk