550 at Fantasy Junction | FerrariChat

550 at Fantasy Junction

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by steve meltzer, Aug 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    There's a Pozi Blue 550 at Fantasy Jxn:

2000 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Apparently always a California car that had the cam belts, but nothing else (e.g. cam seals, fluids, water pump, etc), done by Patrick Ottis. I'm much more familiar with the vintage V12s, than I am with these cars, but am somewhat interested in this car. Any comments from those of you who know these cars better than I? 11,500 miles, several owners, clean carfax, and priced at $168K. Any things I should inquire about? Ottis no longer does PPIs, so is there someone in the area who might have a more nuanced view here? thanx steve

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Looks like a good used car. It is just a unit so buy it an enjoy it. It is a good color nice interior color and has the best wheel combo which could be +10k right there. It has the nicest interior wants the quilted rear deck etc. Seat pattern is more individual taste but that pattern is considered an upgrade.

Is that 1 red and 2 black fobs I see in the picture? Yes=good no=worth less money
    is interior sticky? I see leather pull on wheel what about dash? I see about $3k to fix that stuff
    belt change without 30k is designed to fool unsuspecting that critical service is done. A 30k service is a 5 year service. complete 30k service not done every 5 years regardless of miles is considered a lack of maintenance. Things pop up with a no maintenance car like you start driving and the water pump started weeping. So either expect niggling issues to pop up or do the 30k service and intercept them that service is about 3-5K depending on the while you were in theres. Even the 11k mile brakes need to be serviced. moisture is absorbed by brake fluid and fouls the pistons despite perfect looking pads and rotors. Those brakes need to be serviced. If not part of the 30k service add another 1000

I hope that does not scare you off. All 550's are used cars. No mater what 550 you buy you are going to need to fix something.

I will say the 550 is the easiest daily driver like Ferrari super comfortable to drive with GT feel. Power and torque are like a drug. It's hard not to like the 550. The A/C will freeze you too.

3. ko23

ko23 Karting

May 6, 2015
    Looks really nice...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just bought a Ford GT from Bruce. I will say the car is exactly or better than he described and they were a real pleasure to buy from. Sight unseen as well which I never do, but just had a good feeling.

All the best
    Alex

5. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1. Looks like really nice example w/ several obvious issues from the photos. Like FBB says, they all need (or will need) something so do a PPI and go in eyes -- and wallet -- wide open.

6. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Nice car Steve!

Having bought mine two and a half years ago, I had just regulary serviced the car every second year (oil and filters, brake fluid changed etc...). Drove mine just 500 km each year, there is no really wear on these items....

Every fourth year I'll have a new engine belt & new tensioners Service at a fixed price of 1.000 € + VAT....

7. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    …by the was, had contact with Bruce regarding a De Tomaso Pantera, very open and honest conversation ....

8. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    pm sent

9. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    which fobs should be present?

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    1 red 2 black 1 paper with pin code. Not radio code

11. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I'm a 575 owner for 13 years and no expert but will be a "contrarian". Do you want a 550 or a Ferrari? When I bought my 575, I wanted a Ferrari as new a possible that I could afford; the first choice, a 360 spider was too expensive. At that time v12s had the steepest depreciation and a 2 1/2 yo 575M with 2500 miles, manual trans and FHP was the best bang for the buck at $175,000. Ownership ain't cheap, especially if you drive it, which you should.

If I was looking today, using the same criteria that I used in 2004, I would seriously be looking for the newest FF (I know they look weird but it kinda grows on you) with "high" mileage ie 10-15,000 for under ~190,000. Likely to be best bang for the buck and the v12s are great driving cars; I have >100k miles on mine.

Steve

12. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    i'd really prefer a 575 with 6-speed, but they just ain't (to me) worth the upcharge over a 550. I have vintage V-12s, but only the Maranello (or a nice carbed 308), for "moderen Ferraris", ticks all of the boxes for me...at any price. s

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Looks nice enough one thing that I noticed is the steering wheel airbag leather is bubbled as others have mentioned however I have fixed that myself on one of my cars with a hair dryer heated the leather hot then took a flat covered blade and pressed it back in place original glue when heated up adhered fine.... still looked good when I sold the car a year or so later cost 00 and 10 minutes like magic.....

14. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Interesting tip Ill try that on my 456.

Back to the car, Stunning colour combo, My 1750 ALFA was same combo new.

15. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Feeling ambivalent, as I do, i'll think more on this after the Monterey weekend. Do much appreciate the tip on fixing the steering leather wheel bulge, which is ugly. The didn't use Gorilla glue, I guess. What is the best fix for the "stickies"? s

16. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Indeed a great looking example.
    HVAC panel needs replacement, can't see in any of the photos the usual location of dash pull (at the very front of the dash just rear of the climate slits)

I gotta tell you, if I was buying again, I would definitely seriously consider this vehicle. I would think that the biggest issues would be to get a look at all of the suspension bushings, shocks, and the actual service records to see what EXACTLY has constituted "service" in this vehicle in the past.

And get rid of those awful wheels (sorry Carl) :)

AND that center resonator! :)

17. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx for the advice. steve

18. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    I noticed the car sold, did you buy it, if so how do you like it?

19. mkrene

mkrene Rookie

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Since we're talking about 550's for sale at Fantasy Junction, I'll chime in and confess that I just bought one of the other 550's they recently had listed...the fixer upper 1999 in Rosso Fiorano with 57k miles on it, and my first Ferrari. I may be in over my head, but Bruce was great to deal with and right up front about the history and potential issues, so I dove in and did it!!

I saw the blue one when I was there...beautiful! But for the $70k price delta, I'm willing to take a chance and do the work. Thanks in advance to everyone in this forum. I've already used your collective knowledge to estimate what needs to be done and what it might cost. I appreciate the resource.

The last owner pretty much let it sit for several years...I don't know how you let that happen to a car like this...but the first thing that has to happen is to get the sticky off of all the interior parts. I can't even start it without getting black goo all over me!

Next up, plug wires to replace the mouse-chewed original set, throttle cable, battery, and on and on. But it's a V12 manual Ferrari and when it's done I'll know it like it's part of me.

The journey begins...

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would consider installing one of John Cribb's coil on plug ignition kits before investing in new plug wires. Costs will be about the same and the COP set-up is much more reliable and similar (using different parts) to the 575M COP system.

21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That Pozzi/couio 550 was a really really nice example. Have a Pozzi 550 myseøf and it is quite spectacular in that color as it changes color depending on its mood (and the lightning conditions). It is really tricky to keep perfect, but when it is, it is realky a beautiful car with its own statement!

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right. My 550 is Blu Pozzi too but it refuses to believe its color sticker. :)

23. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    …how shall I argue against these comments? Own a Pozzi blu/crema 550, had just driven it yesterday, what a joy! Due to lack of time most probably the last time in 2017, just passed the 27.000 km mark yesterday...

Best,

Jürgen

F456M and JayEff like this.
  24. mkrene

mkrene Rookie

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks Taz,

I have been in touch with John about getting the COP system, in large part because of your description of your positive experience with it. However, he is currently looking for a new harness fab person in order to produce another COP kit, which leaves me a few months out from getting one. In the meantime, per his recommendation, I'm going to attempt to rebuild the existing set with new HT wires using the existing furniture, and replacing connectors as required. I'll spend a hundred or so bucks to see what I can do and can always fall back to a factory wireset if required, though I hate to blow the big bucks on them.

The list of little things that need to be fixed on the car seems endless, but it's really not that bad. After the wires, I have 575 motor mounts ordered and an SRI coolant hose kit to install next!