Carb 78 woofs and dies | FerrariChat

Carb 78 woofs and dies

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I pulled my car out of the garage fine. I let it idle whilst I got something. After a few minutes, I heard the idle speed drop (as you'd expect) and then the engine died. I switched it off to go finish what I was doing.

Coming back, I tried again and could only get a woof out of her before she died again. It isn't up to temp, just luke warm. I can hear the fuel pump running fine and I can smell fuel getting into the bowls. But no amount of cranking or putting pedal to the floor can get the engine to catch. It's just that first woof and then nothing. If I let the fuel pump run for a while I get a bigger woof and it seems like she might start. But then nothing happens, maybe just a tiny hint of a catch after 15 to 20 seconds cranking.

Plugs are dry (at least the easy to access bank I checked).

I left the car for 90 minutes to cool right down but the same's happening.

There's fuel in the car (about 6 litres). The car is sitting on a slight slope, maybe 5 degrees left down to right. It's a dry sunny day.

Any clues what might be going on here?

2. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    Mine did that. That is slows at idle and eventually dies. I mostly solved it by changing to electronic ignition (about $200) fixing the timing and tuning the carbs.

But it still happens, just not as often

3. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm sure I don't need to go to EFI to solve this :) The car's been starting & running beautifully in all weathers ... until today.

4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    So there's fuel in the bowls, the engine cranks but does not catch and the plugs are dry?

Sounds like a fuel issue in the carbs. If the fuel was getting in to the cylinders the plugs would be wet no?

Low fuel pressure from fuel pump?

5. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    My bet is plugs are not really dry but fouled. Change plugs. Leave out overnight to dry cylinders. Don't clean plugs. Throw them away. They are cheap.

Check spark too. I bet it's fine. These things foul plugs quickly.

First poster said electronic ignition not electronic fuel injection. It's starts at pertronix and goes up from there.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    OP -- Since you have a dual distributor US version, I think it pretty unlikely that both distributors would have a problem at the same time (so it should at least quasi-run on one bank if you've got fuel). If it is a spark problem, have you checked the fuseblock tops of fuses #1, 2, and 3 for "melting", or made a repair to better electrically connect the metal tops of the #1, 2, and 3 fuse holders together (they should be)? The fuses themselves aren't involved, but +12V power comes in to the top of the #2 fuse on the big A (light blue) wire from the ignition switch and is then "bridged" over (by the plates and rivets of the fuseblock) to the big G (yellow) wire on the top of fuse #1 to run the ignition system. If the plastic gets hot and melts, the riveted connections can lose good electrical connection (although still mechanically connected). Just going from memory (and the three wires on the tops of fuses #1, 2, and 3 can get swapped around and still work so that happens too), but easy enough to add a jumper wire to ensure the A wire is electrically connected to the G wire to rule the fuseblock in or out.

7. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll take a look at the fuse blocks this morning. I can certainly change the plugs but there's not even a hint of a whiff of fuel on them. Taking them out immediately after trying to start, I should surely be sniffing something if that's the problem. :/

8. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Are you 100% sure you have gas in the tank and the fuel pump is working because it sounds just like a problem I had twice...once was because i thought i had gas but in fact I was empty and the other time was a bad fuel pump.

9. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Umm, yes, as I said in my o/p, there is plenty of fuel. I can smell the stuff.

The pump runs and sounds like it is working fine, though I have no proof beyond smelling the fuel & hearing (and feeling) it run. For now, I've pulled the plugs and will put in a new set hopefully tomorrow. A few are perfect but others were in various stages of wear.

10. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well, new plugs changed nothing :/

I don't see any sign of melts or heat problems at those fuses. But I'll check for continuity etc tomorrow. As you say, with dual dizzies, at least one bank should succeed. I'm wondering if the fuel pump is failing.

But it sounds fine and at least some fuel is pumped through (if I leave ignition on for the fuel pump to run, I can burn that fuel off by starting but I get no further than the woof). In addition, there is no smell of fuel at the plugs. Can the pump fail but seem to sound ok? I don't know how the system works. Could it succeed to pump fuel on the ignition key but not open up with the throttle? (throttle linkage appears to be working fine).

11. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    6 liters of fuel?
    My bet it's out of fuel. Get some.

12. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I put it in personally from a can & there was a little in there already. Do you think the 308 needs more than 6l in the tank to fire her up? In addition, she started up easily with the 6l when I pulled her out of the garage. After that, she didn't idle for more than 5-10 minutes.

Easily done & I'll certainly give it a go if others agree. It definitely sounds like an out of fuel issue (which is why the first thing I did was to go out and fill my emergency fuel can).

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's not impossible, and, on a US version, there is an overpressure regulator that could fail too.

You're changing your tune a bit ;) One way to confirm/deny fuel would be to look down a carb barrel and see if the acc. pump jets are squirting with throttle blipping. Alternatively, removing the return line from the 7/8 carb going to the RH fuel tank and catching what comes out with the fuel pump running would confirm/fuel if fuel reaching the needle valve inlets (but this does need some care). However, it's usually best to use a timing light, or spark tester, during starter motor cranking to make the first diagnostic decision -- "spark or fuel?"

14. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Steve, I'll try some more diagnostics. Since some fuel is burning off with a woof, there must be a spark. And since all plugs smell dry, it seems consistent across all cylinders. My tune hasn't changed btw, I smell fuel in the engine bay after the pump is on at the ignition (it's even detectable when I pushed the car back in the garage a half hour after). But plugs show no sign of unburnt fuel.

15. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well. Another 6 litres of fuel did it. I'm very surprised by this. I had driven her for about 125 miles and arrived home on a red fuel light but without no hint of power loss etc. Next day, I put 6 litres in and drove her out into the yard where she idled for 10 minutes. No red fuel light. After that, she wouldn't restart.

Thanks to all for your help & I hope it's useful to others that if you think that a 5 litre can (even overfilled to 6) of fuel is enough, it isn't. That's a little over 1 1/2 US gallons.

It seems 308's need 10 litre cans of emergency fuel, not 5!

16. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The amount of fuel may not be the only thing to consider. Was the car level? Take a look at where the fuel tank drain is. On my 308, it is at the rear of the tank. So if the car is nose down or the drivers side is higher the the passenger side the amount of fuel required will be more than stated. Congratulations on the inexpensive fix.

17. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes indeed, I thought about that. It was in my o/p. It was sitting on a slope left side higher than right rather than front-rear. Is the drain on one side? That would answer it!

18. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The drain on my 308 is at the rear of the driver side tank. But its an '85. I suspect yours is similar.

19. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Drivers side would be left for a US car (right for the OP since he's in the UK).

20. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep, that'd be it. I was sloping driver to passenger. Really not by much at all. Obviously enough!

btw, my 308's a US car, Patrick.