F1 Clutch Job | Page 11 | FerrariChat

F1 Clutch Job

Discussion in '360/430' started by Andrie, Jul 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KJB355

KJB355 Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Brom
    I was really on the fence regarding the PIS and decimal places also. I wasn't driving the car due to the creep and potential gearbox damage so I was willing to take my chances. With the dealer setting at 4.15, it was too close for comfort. I'm guessing 4.3 would be perfect, at the current 4.97 per the software it requires some nursing from launch, but better than the alternative.

Regarding bleeding - what has everyone experienced? I select the function(s) - but don't get any response from the car.

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You all probably know this, but I'll mention it anyway. I set my 360 Spider PIS after a long, 20+ miles drive. This allows all the metal parts to heat up to operating temperature. I find that there is a difference of 0.30 in the adjustment value between a cold and hot transaxle on my 360. That difference was enough for the transaxle to not shift in reverse when it is cold.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, that is a good point to make. The same applies to self learn, and DEIS (not currently supported by xpro).

4. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng

Does Self Learning function electronically and/or physically updates the new parameter values to computer? Let say if I perform Gearbox System CFC301, does it update or overwrite new values to TCU? Just curious...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. fastmnstealth

fastmnstealth Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2017
    MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hate to clutter the thread with requests like these, but please clear some PMs in your inbox so I can get setup with this tool.

Awesome thread!

6. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng

Steve, thank you for mention this. I've been having problem with my reverse not engaged after driving half hour or so and I have to let it cool for 10 minutes then engage it was fine again.
    I've bled the f1 system, reset clutch wear index and self-learn gearbox many times with engine cold, sit over night. The problem still persists.

Last week I read your comment and I never thought of that. Then I drove my car for 45 minutes both lo and hi gears. The engine was nice warm. I pulled in my garage hooked up the adapter and did the clutch wear index reset and after that did the self learn. Time to test drive, after 50 minutes of driving and pulled in my driveway, I engaged the reverse and bam! the backup alarm chirping and the "R" displaying on my dash, I said wow, that was it. Today I drove for two hours and the reverse was successfully engaged with no issue.

Heng...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great to hear that! I love happy endings. :)

grtoz likes this.
  8. J.J

J.J Rookie

Jul 2, 2017
    Hi, i try to see clutch wear percentage with x431 pro3 in 2006 F430, but i do not find that information.. any help? Thanks

9. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I just wanted to report back that I successfully bleed the clutch with the Launch x431 I bought on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKPWXCK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it completely cured my amber/orange SLOW DOWN light that was causing the gearbox to drop into neutral, etc. This is a problem that my Ferrari dealer couldn't figure out for the life of them and it was only getting worse.

I also replaced my pump motor but this in and of itself didn't solve the problem. Using the data stream function of the x431, I noticed an extreme drop in hydraulic pressure that only got worse as temps went up. When the system lost pressure, it turned off the pump relay and waited until it restored above 40 bar. The intermittent nature of the SLOW DOWN, combined with the pressure loss data from x43, lead me to believe it needed to be bleed as their was air in the system.

10. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    right can someone actually tell me can the x431 pro connect to a early tcu as i still have the 176552 tcu to simply perform auto pis reset?

11. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Exactly

12. Jsoderbe

Jsoderbe Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Sweden/Florida
    Hi, can anyone tell me where I can find the E-diff bleed function? I am not sure if it is the same as either the clutch bleed or the F1 bleed....

Just to add to the PIS discussion; my car was set on 6.00, which I thought was way to high. I tried 5, which then read 4.97, and it worked beautifully. I will try 4 next! Can I get myself info trouble with a too low PIS?

Regards,

Johan

13. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Yup - you'll end up having a slight drag at idle = higher wear.

14. Jsoderbe

Jsoderbe Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Sweden/Florida
    Thanks Mikael, and hello fellow Swede!

But I can feel the drag, right?

15. KJB355

KJB355 Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Brom
    #265 KJB355, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Yes - you'll definitely feel the drag. With your 5 setting - what RPMs are you seeing for normal launch?

16. Jsoderbe

Jsoderbe Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Sweden/Florida
    Let me go out and try. Twith 6 it feels very sluggish....

17. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can't feel a very slight drag. You have to use the app and look at the gear box rpm to see if it remains at 0 when you're idle. If it moves it means you're dragging the clutch at idle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Jsoderbe

Jsoderbe Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Sweden/Florida
    Thanks Mike.

I tested 4 which then read 3.98, but then the clutch engaged below 1000 rpm. I got rolling forward but it died in reverse. I changed it back to 5 and then it engaged around 1200 rpm. I would like to try 4.5 but when I write 4.5 it reads 45.

I cant enter the CTS Capote menu, and I cant find anything around the differential. Anyone here who can point me in the right direction?

Regrds,

Johan

19. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No E-Diff support yet. I use an Autel for that.

20. KJB355

KJB355 Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Brom
    Your experience is nearly identical to mine, though I don’t kill it in reverse at setting 4. As I predicted - you would feel the drag as in the rolling forward. I’m estimating that 4.3 would be ideal so we’re close. I’ve reached out about a release/update to allow decimals - but no luck.

21. KJB355

KJB355 Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Brom
    Update. Got lucky with correcting/setting the PIS with Ferrari SD. Reading was 4.97 - exactly what it read with this thread subject software set as "5". Reset to 4.3 which is the lowest setting i could get without drag / gearbox RPM at zero. The drivability difference is truly remarkable, as to be expected. Bottom line - if the software was updated to allow decimals - we'd have a winner.

I can't stress enough to have your F1 system bled and PIS set to the lowest setting possible. The wear on the clutch is so much less. At 5 the engagement was immediate - but the time and RPM to fully engage the clutch, plus flare up at moderate RPMs with shifts from 1 -> 2 and 2 -> 3 was terrible. If you didn't know better, and you think that type of operation is normal - it explains the crazy low mileage clutch life experiences. Plus the driving experience with the right setup is 10 fold better.

Best way that I describe what I think is a properly setup F1 is smooth, positive clutch engagement with normal driving take off at max 1,700 RPM, less than a car length distance. Gearshifts almost imperceptible, with zero RPM flares. I know it's very subjective - but back to back experiences with wrong PIS and correct PIS the improvement is immense.

Hope this helps and also gets us a decimal solution.

22. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have a 360 with TCU 191701. I can't seem to get the software to connect to it or detect it, with either 360 or 430 menu. I have software 10.23. Has anyone had any luck? Does the car need to be running?

23. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    V10.25 update says in the released notes that they've corrected the error of not being about in input a decimal PIS value but I still have an issue. I will not take a decimal value, just whole numbers.... Same as before

24. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    #274 LeoExotic, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    just got my dongle today and had my first Ferrari delivered yesterday!! Can someone pm me the file for the software. I registered the dongle and downloaded the free app from the playstore onto my phone. I wanted to make sure there were no fault codes before I take it in for state inspection. I Also whant to see how much clutch life I have left.Thanks!

25. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Does anyone have pictures of where to perform the clutch bleed? I am assuming this is a separate circuit than the F1 pump bleed based on previous information... I see there are several videos on F1 bleeding, but not the clutch specifically. Thanks.