Ferrari 2012 California -Thoughts before buying? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 2012 California -Thoughts before buying?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Bandit23, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    Hi Guys,
    I am in the process of looking at 2012 California, everything matches what I am after color, interior, etc ...but mileage is 21K.

Is that too high? should I wait and get an example with lower miles...

Any expert advice would be most appreciated.

It is a Grigio Silverstone with Cuoio :)

thanks

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    nothing wrong with that, make sure you pay right and get PPI.

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That millage shouldn't be a problem at all. However you have to be aware that if you want to sell the car in the future the millage will have always a considerable influence on the price you'll get- higher the millage less the price. Statistically Calis up to 2012 have more transmission problems then the aspirated more modern ones and when these happen the bill can easily reach $ 10K. IMO an extension warranty is absolutely essential for peace of mind and in order to get it, the car has to pass a complete inspection made at a Ferrari authorized entity. If during the inspection they find the car has a problem the extension warranty won't be issued. Some Cali owners also reported issues with the electric roof and these can be a nightmare because they are fixed and come back. Make sure the Cali you have in mind isn't one of those.

That said the Cali in general terms is a reliable car and very enjoyable that you can daily drive and I won't lie if I say is the most versatile Ferrari model.

Good luck

4. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    Thanks Rob and Mdel appreciate the information the price point on this car is very good and the color combination is what I want
    I'll check it out tomorrow and see how it feels

Thanks

5. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I wouldn't worry about the mileage. I was looking for a Cali with higher mileage (over20,000) in the hopes of all the kinks being worked out by then. Some of these cars with 5,000 miles on them start having issues that haven't turned up yet .

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

How long do you plan on keeping this car? If your plan is to keep it a long while and drive the wheels off it, that mileage is fine. If you are likely to sell it in near future, then there's a good chance the next owner may, alas be mileage averse, which could mean a long period before it sells or a huge discount of what you paid. Best of luck.

T

7. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    I want to keep this for a while, my wife is fed up with my process so once I get it I will keep it for a while, :)

fingers crossed all works out

thanks again,

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Then, it sounds like you love the color combo and other features. Hope this turns out to be the one. Post up pics when you seal the deal!
    T

9. Magon

Magon Rookie

Jun 15, 2017
    London, UK
    I recently bought a very similar vehicle.

Grigio Silverstone with Cuoio too.

Mid 20,000 miles.

Happy with the purchase.

10. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    #10 Bandit23, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Very nice indeed - Congrats my friend :)

12. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    thanks very much, just a pleasure to drive it :) could not wipe the smile I still have it ..

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lovely car. As for the smile, get used to it!
    T

14. miamiron

miamiron Karting

Sep 3, 2016
    I feel that lower mileage ferraris are just as susceptible to the same problems as high mileage ones, even more, if they just sit around. I thought I saw 5k mileage ferraris on the forums with DCT issues... I think mileage is more relevant with the purchase price, in such that you'll get a better deal! So what if it has 20k miles??? For those just in the business of profiting off selling these cars rather than enjoying/driving them, then yeah, low mileage is obvious better...

Great find, and great color! Keep it properly maintained and serviced and you'll never have to worry about what the odometer says!

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    One advantage of getting a higher mileage car is you can drive it a lot and it won't lose much value.

The biggest issue was with the reliability of the DCT. If it's already been replaced that would be a big plus. But the problems were more with the 2009-10's than the later models.

Other problems reported have been with the roof and hydraulics. But, by and large, it appears to be a reliable car which most owners swear by.

If you went lower mileage I would suggest the Cal T, which was the updated version. But it's going to be a lot more expensive.

The one thing I would have checked at this mileage are the brakes, tires, and suspension. But that would be the same as any car of this mileage. Just make sure you aren't about to plunk down a bunch of cash right away on tires and brakes (albeit the Carbon Ceramic brakes should last much longer than 21k -- unless the car has been tracked.) As Rob said, a PPI can tell you things like this.

And of course any accident damage.

For a great GT you can drive anywhere, the car you are looking at looks like a lot of fun.

16. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Congratulations the car looks fantastic.

17. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    the mileage does not seem to be an issue when driving, as all else inside the car is still feeling like new :) Seats and steering wheel have very minimal wear.

However, my excitement got the better of me, yesterday my driver's window got stuck, currently at the dealership the issue hopefully will get resolved by Monday.

Sucks not having it in the garage to look at or drive it :( :(

Happy Sunday everyone