The wait was worth it | FerrariChat

The wait was worth it

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jdavis, Aug 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdavis

Jdavis Rookie

Apr 16, 2017
    Edmonton
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I received my final pick on May 10th and I was following the production time line thread twice daily lol. My new 488 GTB seemed to take longer then most to get here but she finally arrived a couple days ago.

A few first impressions are this car is not in my opinion a mid cycle re fresh of the 458. Pictures alone do not do the car justice. The body lines are just beautiful from the stronger front hood, fender lines to the beefy rear end it bulges in all the right spots. The interior changes are subtle yet feel more modern and better put together than my 458. Even the glass now comes with a factory tint that for me is perfect and doesn't require and after add on. Another change is road noise has been reduced quite a bit over the 458, I'm coming from a spider so it could just be the coupe but it's really comfy when just cruising around.
    The turbo power is super linear and the bottom end is huge, power is available everywhere in the range and doesn't require revving it out to get some quick blasts.The sport seats are great, not as cushy as the 458 seats but very comfy compared to the racing seats I had in my 458.
    Lastly engine note was a huge concern and although my 458 sounded great at full throttle the constant on/off exhaust note left me frustrated and driving at a higher rpm to keep it on note. I asked my dealer to unplug the vacuum lines and wholly **** this car sounds incredible. It keeps the same note as cold start all day long but no drone that can happen with after market exhaust. This car now has tons of burbles on throttle lift off that my 458 never had. I would recomend this mod to anyone, my car was the first the dealer had done this to and everyone was blown away at the store how much better the car sounded. Overall I couldn't be happier with this car and don't regret upgrading for a minute. Sunny days ahead and I can't wait to get to know this beast even better.

2. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Can't agree more with the sentiments above. Selling my coupe for a spider simply because the Cali-T I had made me realize I prefer driving with the top down. As you have undoubtedly already experienced, you will be thrilled with the car in every way.

3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Thanks for sharing... did the dealer charge you anything for unplugging the lines as you stated?

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Exciting. I love my GTB. It's really is a remarkable car, and, yes, it sounds amazing. The whole "sound" thing is all a bunch of nothing. It has a mean, guttural and throaty roar. Enjoy.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Congrats !

Are there any other 488 owners here that undid their vac lines already too ?

Love to see pix :D

6. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great first impressions and I agree with you. My order is in and now I wait.

7. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Congrats! Enjoy the ride!

My 488 Spider is scheduled to build when they get back next month, probably have it late Nov or Dec. The more time I spend around the 488, the more I like it (friend has a GTB).

Jim

8. Jdavis

Jdavis Rookie

Apr 16, 2017
    Edmonton
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I didn't look to see but it took under an hour to remove them.

9. Jdavis

Jdavis Rookie

Apr 16, 2017
    Edmonton
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Fairly normal build if you can call a new Ferrari normal, I'll get some pics up soon. I would recommend the leather roof option, it looks fantastic over stock and for the amount of leather actually, represents good value for the price.

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #10 Rossocorsa1, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Glad you like the sound! :)

Imho sounds like crap, especially the coupe; but then again I am spoiled ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-fLy5jf0As

Very best

12. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    agreed. same here. I felt it's day and night difference. But I wonder if anyone has a video with vac tube out.

13. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's a lovely looking car really like the leather headlining look fab.

Definately think have g the valves open all the time is the way to go.

Keep us updated with your adventures with it!

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

14. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Thanks for sharing Josh, awesome comparison. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more!