Engine deck lid skin removal | FerrariChat

Engine deck lid skin removal

Discussion in '360/430' started by Aintqik, Aug 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aintqik

Aintqik Karting

Mar 15, 2017
    South Jersey
    Full Name:
    RJ Cilurso
    This may sound like an odd question, but has anyone removed the aluminum skin from the rear decklid? It is riveted and bent around the structure, and I'm trying to find some good pics or someone who may have done this. Cheers!

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Why oh why... they intended you to remove the deckled and throw another new part on when the old is bent in an accident. Never going to line up right again. Unless you're adding a wing or body panel...

4. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    #4 rizzo308, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's bent round the underside structure u would have to grind the edge of the top skin down 1-2 mm with caution and it may be glue to bott structure also. Is ur top skin toasted. If ur in need of a full lenth fiberglass repo CS deklid I can help u out

Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Aintqik

Aintqik Karting

Mar 15, 2017
    South Jersey
    Full Name:
    RJ Cilurso
    #5 Aintqik, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Why oh why indeed lol. I do a lot of custom fabrication and I happened upon a CS lid. Not the whole assembly, just the deck.

I realize this is blasphemy, I've already hand made the nose from a factory Modena bumper (notice the side gills).

Oh, it all lines up pretty good too believe it or not! It's just sitting there in the pic.

6. Aintqik

Aintqik Karting

Mar 15, 2017
    South Jersey
    Full Name:
    RJ Cilurso
    Besides being bent around it's glued to an inner brace that is riveted to the structure. That can be reshaped and used.

Really concerned if its panel bonded along the crimps and under the glass. Maybe I can find a used assy like your eBay post.