Remove A/C Compressor | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Remove A/C Compressor

Discussion in '308/328' started by skipgt4, Aug 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    its such a pita that the compressor is now a permanent resident in the basement. best of all, i now have no excuse not to do the belts when i know i should as the compessor is by far the worst part of the job. don't miss the ac god luck with the job. you'll get there just takes lots of fiddlin. cheers jon s

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Hmmm... IMO, the car NEEDS AC, as marginal as it is.

I guess I don't see the added time of messing with the compressor to make any real difference in a job that is only done once every X ears. (fill in your preference for X...or we could start a belt change interval thread!!!)

OTOH, per some posts, I guess the work involved can vary from car to car, especially if you have to move a fuel tank, etc. So maybe I'd feel differently in that case. But I don't think I could handle not having AC in the car. Luckily for me on my 328 I had no particular difficulty other than the time involved to unbolt the compressor. HOWEVER, I disconnect the fitting/ remove the Comp completely and use the "belt service" down time for AC service as well, vacuuming down the system after reconnection and refilling with refrigerant. It keeps the AC running as efficiently as possible.

3. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I removed the fuel tank, which is actually pretty straightforward and gives you all the space you need. I also took the opportunity to re-paint the tank while it was out.

Paul