Ethanol free or Premium? | FerrariChat

Ethanol free or Premium?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Bob in Makiki, Aug 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I know we need premium gas. But I suspect I will not drive the car often or far enough to need to fill it regularly. Ethanol is a problem potentially (it is hygroscopic) if you don't change the gas with some frequency. So, it seems to me, the choice is ethanol free regular gas with an octane additive, or premium with ethanol and take my chances. Any recommendations? (If there is ethanol free premium in Honolulu, I haven't found it.)

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Did you try the McCully Union 76?

On a tangent, you know George Nitta? He came out to a C&C a few years ago with some fuel hose soaked in a gallon of ethanol. He said it was there for a couple years and there was no deterioration. He did a burn test of the ethanol and it burned clear, he burned something else and it left soot all over the Pyrex dish. Can't remember what it was. George has some "interesting" theories and ideas. He recommends pure ethanol as an octane booster. One of my pals with a 997.2 turbo bought into this and said his car runs smoother and better.

3. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Yep, McCully Union 76 has ethanol free regular. So, one option would be to buy that and add an octane booster. As for Premium with ethanol in it, I assume it is fine in our cars, but I have also been told that over time it goes bad, whereas gas without ethanol will last longer.

So another option, I guess, is just drive the car enough to fill the tank regularly!

4. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    Shell should be ethanol free

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Windward side has a Shell on Kam hwy near the mall that has ethanol free but it is 89 octane. I buy it for my garden tools but have not put it in the car.

6. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    pure-gas.org probably call before you go

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Don't you guys have ethanol free premium at Costco

8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Nope.

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Some of the Hele (formerly Tesoro) and 76 branded stations have ethanol free fuel.

The fuel to these stations is supplied by a local refinery, and should be fresh.

http://parhawaii.com/

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I haven't been to a Hele to check yet but they did take over a couple of my 76 locations that I used to use. If they have ethanol free high test that would be great. I just filled up my little gas can for the power tools last week. The ethanol free 89 octane was 4.19 a gallon!

11. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    In my boat I've used 89 octane straight gas with Marine Stabil.

For my 430 (and my former 355) I use premium ethanol and add Marine Stabil at storage dosage (double dosage).

Kevin and Gil knows I drive my 430 only about 400 miles a year and I've never had a problem with premium ethanol for the past 8 years or so that I've owned these cars.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself!

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Fuel systems in modern cars are able to deal with ethanol...it's been that way for decades. The cars that can't are very very old now.

http://www.bae.ksu.edu/precisionag/Biofuels/Converting Gasoline Engines to Ethanol.htm

13. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    My concern is not primarily with the fuel system (although the 360 came on the market in 1999, and that is pretty close to the time cars were shifting over to fuel systems able to deal with ethanol) but with the fact that ethanol is hygroscopic. If you don't change the gas in your car by driving it and refilling it, then I believe in Hawaii's humid climate there is a risk that the E10 will absorb moisture from the air.

I guess the answer to that is just to drive the car more!

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You would have to go back to the early 1970's to find a fuel tank that's vented to the atmosphere. Newer tanks are pressurized, so they are not exposed to the atmosphere directly. You can also mitigate the moisture problem by simply keeping the tank full. This is especially important for motorcycles, and other vehicles with steel tanks, or they can rust.

Alcohol is great for increasing the octane rating, but it will eat through some types of rubber, and also can damage fiberglass fuel tanks. Some older motors and boats have been damaged with ethanol in the fuel.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    +1 If you don't completely tighten down your gas cap, modern cars will have a sensor go off and make the check engine light go off (EVAP leak is the code). That's how good modern cars are with that. I have a car from 2003 and had that recently go off after I forgot to tighten it down...what a PITA to get that code cleared since I don't own an OBDII reader.