so how bad is a 2005 Maserati QP? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

so how bad is a 2005 Maserati QP?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ross, Mar 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

He seems to be a bit of a maseratti hater; however build quality is pretty poor got to admit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Funny guy, but not exactly someone who knows anything about these cars. Having had a few M5's and currently a 6 speed M6 I'll say that I like the QP 5.

There is something about the steering, suspension, and overall feel of the car which is unique.

The only way I can describe it is as a 4 door super car vs the Mercs, BMW's, etc which are just VERY fast 4 doors.

3. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    My 2005 QP Duoselect is approaching 60.000 miles (60 Thousand) and is still on the first clutch!

Never had any issue in its whole life, except for a small leak at the valve cover seal.
    the SD3 computer tells me the clutch is now 100% worn but it is still not slipping.

Now thinking about trying to stretch and see how far I can get on the clutch just out of interest.

FlyingAces, Makuono and Merak1974 like this.
  4. FlyingAces

FlyingAces Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    LA 2 Vegas
    Full Name:
    Joejoe
    I have the 05 with 44K miles. Only had the F1 sensor go out. Replaced it along with the clutch, maintained her with regular services. No issues since my ownership when she had 24k miles. Daily driver and always on sport and manual mode. Had a F355 prior to the QP and almost as fun to drive.... almost. Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    The 2nd hand dealer in Ohio has a 2007 with only 8k miles on it.

6. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Well just to add another opinion, those series cars make an Aston Martin look like a HONDA ACCORD!
    All my friends including family members who went down the 2,500 preowned Maserati ends up with on average 30 to 40 grand in service work or out of pocket. The tranny never makes 6,000 miles, before the switch. After maybe 10,000...again they make Astons look more reliable than a Honda Accord
    In that era.Haaaaaa

Makuono likes this.
  7. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    That is so true. yesterday my kids were watching the "Johnny English" movie (2003), were an Aston Martin shows up...Waw....Amazing how it aged so badly in my opinion.

8. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    If it's any 'consolation', my '07 QP Sport GT Automatica is about to hit 116K miles and I just returned from my second long trip in it this year (first was an FCA event to Biltmore in NC and most recent was to Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta). Love the car to bits. Truth be told, I prefer it over my 456M on long hauls...it's easier on my back and quite frankly, more comfortable overall.

I had an '06 Duo-Select QP and while I agree those are a bit more fun to drive, the Automatica is the only way to go if you're using it as a DD. And funny enough, when a friend of mine wanted to buy my QP auto earlier this year, it's the first car I've ever refused to sell!

Just make sure the variators have been done on any '07-'09 QP you're considering. Budget for tires more frequently than, say, a Mercedes of similar ilk and keep up on regular maintenance (fluids and filters) and the car will treat you right. I'd trust mine to go back across the country to California if I had to go tomorrow.

Lastly, I do use snow tires in winter. Nokian Hakkapelitta 8s to be exact. I have the 19" executive GT wheels on my car as opposed to the originally equipped 20" Sport GT wheels as the 19s are a much stronger wheel and offer a few more tire choices. My car sits outside 24/7 but I keep up with the interior so I've got no sticky issues or premature leather wear.

Good luck in the hunt. Glad that idiots like DeMuro make videos like he did because that only serves to hold the price of these cars down for those in the know!

9. Natkingcolebasket69

I think a lot of people in here are pretty biased... The QP's are indeed nice car but overall badly finished and unreliable and thats true for the all
    Maseratti line. Like the ghibli which is poopoo. Dont get me wrong i understand the appeal and their brauty but mechanically and inside ...hard to say they are great cars in my opinion.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Mmmm i own a cl65 and a new s550 coupe... i would agree if u had said the mercs are more like gts but my cl is waaaay faster than a maseratti or most ferrari of its time. 10.8 1/4 mile for a 11 year old car weighting 5000 lbs that's supercar territory to me

11. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm sure many are biased. I grew up with Mercedes of yesteryear so I generally consider those (W126 et al) to be my personal benchmark against which I judge all cars, even brand new ones. I maintain my stance that pre-'95 Mercedes are the best cars in the world however I'm no longer interested in having a 25 year old + car as my daily driver and so although I'll agree that the fit and finish, even of my beloved QP isn't quite to old MB standards, for what you can buy an '07-'13 QP for these days, you can't beat the style or relative rarity for the money. And yes, most certainly the '14 forward QP and Ghibli are nowhere near the quality of the older cars, even the sometimes finicky Cambiocorsa Coupes and Spyders.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You are talking through your ass, not all Maserati's are unreliable. I have had zero reliability or build quality issues with my 2010 Maserati GranCabrio. Myself and wife have had 5x brand new and used Mercedes cars over the past few years as sports & daily drivers, each one has had problems galore and build quality issues - poor for a so called prestige brand (including a brand new GLA, B class, E class which we owned). Gear box failure, several electrical gremlins, leaking cabriolet seals, rattling door cards and interiors, windows rattles and seals, sensor failures, numerous recalls, suspension issues including on a brand new b class - the rear suspension mount bolts were loose! Customer service from MB UK was terrible and we ditched the Merc cars this year, changed them over to much better quality Volvo's. I also cancelled my MB owners club membership, the older MBs like my friend owns from the 60s are so much better. Yes I have owned lots of cars and still have others in my garage like a 1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88, 1985 Ferrari Mondial etc. Porsche never has appealed to me. The problem with the newer German cars - they lack soul, character and uniqueness. The newer mass produced Ghibli and Levante don't cut it for me either...

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Which models and which trannys? I have a friend with a 2004 4200 coupe and it's got 70K miles on it. It's only now due for a new Cambiocorsa clutch. But if you drive them like an automatic then yes they won't last long. Ditto for the Ferrari's with that same Tranny. Aston's of the same era have a very similar Italian tranny. They all had early issues with bugs in the software and then a new design for the tranny's sensors was implemented on the newer cars as well.

What you're posting just isn't accurate and far from it.

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Agree with this advice.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Love the quality of your language... try my s550 coupe and i guarantee you will not want to step back in a maseratti after

16. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike

17. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    For the F1 version, it lasts longer if you drive it like a manual shifting transmission - which it essentially is. That means, lift the throttle when shifting and do not operate it in automatic mode. My mechanic swears they last much longer this way. After 2006, once the ZF was installed, it's just a normal luxury car. I watched some inspectors doing a PPI on one, think it was a 2006 or 2007, and they were having a field day. The two areas they were most concerned about were body rust underneath and the electronics. I believe that the offer was revised substantially downward after the inspection. This appeared to me, outwardly, to be a gorgeous machine - ruby red metallic with natural leather interior. I'm a sucker for a pretty face!