New GT | Page 12 | FerrariChat

New GT

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by agrun, Jul 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ive posted the reality on how much more rear space there is so don't expect a mini Lusso.

Car looks very different to the current car.

2. dhlnb

dhlnb Rookie

Mar 5, 2011
    May be you meant September 8th?

3. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    No I meant the 7th but I know they have a more general presentation on the 8th

4. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    It's not very difficult, I change it as soon I can ;)

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have no idea what you're trying to say.

All CF > CF + aluminum > aluminium.

6. dhlnb

dhlnb Rookie

Mar 5, 2011
    Thank you very much!
    Have a great time !

7. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    I have been invited too but can't make it as I will be in China that time though, those who have seen the car (without engine!) assured me it to look a lot craftier, 2 back lights and 2+2, in short a on-looker in comparison with the current model, which became a bit dull (pardon me) over time.

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    It looks like your grasped it.

All CF is better than a mix
    I would also say all Aluminum is better than a mix (other than not structural panels)

All CF is not necessarily better than all aluminum.

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not for rigidity or weight.

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    yes. but rigidity and weight are NOT the ONLY the only things that matter when designing a car for the road. Not even close.

11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #286 noone1, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Um, so what exactly are the downsides? I see none.

There is no indication that there are any problems at all. Aircraft use this construction, exotic cars use it (R8, Huracan, Aventador, Enzo to name a few), and even commuter cars like the BMW i3. Other than cost, there is no downside to using CF + aluminum over just aluminum.

It's more rigid, it's lighter, and it's most likely safer.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Enzo's chassis is full CF. I think he meant that there might be problems trying to combine the two materials. The only problem I can think of is the cost in case of an accident. Some say that ageing might also be a factor.

13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The Ferrari website says:

"Just 400 examples were built of the Enzo, which featured advanced composite bodywork and a carbon-fibre and aluminium honeycomb sandwich chassis..."

Regardless, there is no indication that hybrid construction ages poorly. They are building airplanes out of it and those are supposed to last decades.

Even if cars had problems 20 years later, who cares? Most cars will be junked in 20 years. No manufacturer cares about what happens to their cars 20 years later.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    LOL... yes... manufacturers will care if there cars that are 20 years old get a bad rap for the chassis essentially coming apart. The PR would destroy them. 20 years happens very very quickly. Do they care if the car needs maintenance? No... do they car if the car cant ever be driven again and is essentially totaled from just sitting... YES

15. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes aircraft use this. Have you ever maintained an airplane before? Maintain a Jet for 3 years or just look into some of the larger inspections these planes get. It is absolutely insane.

Also, airplanes are designed for a completely different use. They are both transportation but weight is the enemy as it hurts efficency. Stiff is important... but lets be frank... they dont exactly have crash test ratings. If you have a catestrophic failure in the air... it doesn't matter what the plane is made of... the contents are still flesh and blood.

I am not following your argument/train of thought... or perhaps we are both missing eachother.

Truly my only argument is that people who say "ohh... its carbon... thats better safer and lighter than aluminum" are simply wrong.

Engineering it is what is important. The material matters of course... but using it to its strengths and ignoring its weakness will leave you with a horrible car.

Yes. Delam is possible. ANYTIME you mix materials... whether it is paint and bondo... drywall and wood etc... they all react to environment differently. Yes carbon is very stiff and by comparison aluminum is flexible. There are times when you need flexible.

If the best cars were the lightest stiffest cars we would all be driving areil atoms.

Or instead of airbags we would just have non collapsible roll cages, 5 point harnesses, hans device and helmets at every seat. But... thats not the case of the real world. The real world and product liability is not nurbergring lap times contrary to popular belief. Even on supercars.

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You're making the assumption that everyone is just sticking CF and aluminum directly together without any sort of treatment or sealing to resist galvanic corrosion.

These cars will last far longer than anyone will care to use them and the costs to maintain them will make them will be too significant to bother.

17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    my concern is not galvanic corrosion.

Trust me... if there is a resin failure due to particular outside influences... there are going to be problems and major ones

18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can you point to any CF cars in the last 20 years that have had this problem? I've never heard of any and there have been plenty.

19. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I've seen carbon fiber crushed when hit in the wrong direction and then it's toast. It's strongest in one direction given it's a composite vs steel or aluminum which maintains same strength in all directions. I believe they started toying with this stuff in race cars in the 80s and have learned through trial and error just like any new material. I trust it will continue to get better

20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Last time I looked at an F1 crash compilation, their all Cf tubs performed perfectly. Way better than anything made of alu or steel... Nothing wrong in using it widely in road cars apart from one thing - manufacturer economics. The rest of their commentary on this topic is purely their marketing departments spin.

21. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Why don't you stop the vague talk of doom and give us some proper evidence to back up your "major problems"?

22. MRJW

MRJW Rookie

Oct 7, 2016
    And more news on the Cali replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. timothymunro

timothymunro Karting

Jun 20, 2013
    What - and stop this CF v aluminum chat???

24. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Guess I should have clarified, wasn't saying it isn't safe, just that it's a bummer that it's not easily repairable

25. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Hilarious:D

This kind of chat always happens when nothing new is coming to the table :)