Am I expecting too much? 458 is bad condition? | FerrariChat

Am I expecting too much? 458 is bad condition?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by American, Aug 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    #1 American, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey ladies and gentlemen

First off, thank you for opening this thread and taking the time to have input.

I saw my first 458 today in SoCal (to purchase), and the car just wasn't what I expected as far as condition goes. It was a used 2012, but had rock chips, cracks, and even small body damage it seems. Am I expecting too much? Is this what a used Ferrari would look like regardless?

Short list of issues :

1) Rear diffuser cracked
    2) Lower passenger skirt cracked, and due to this, looks like the rear lower quarter panel shifted and is slightly loose.
    3) Paint scratches
    4) Rock chips
    5) Small dents on hood and several places

Due to this, I low balled the offer. I feel the car just didn't meet my standard. However, are my standards simply too high to be expected of a used car?

I don't mean to enter a journey to find a perfect car that statistically isn't probable.

I've attached pictures to illustrate the image.

Thank you for your time and input.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Those conditions to me, would be acceptable on a used 70,000 mile Prius that I'm buying to beat on.

NOT for a 2012 Ferrari or anything more than a 70k mile Prius. That damage is also indicative of how the previous owner may have driven and treated that car. Also account for care and maintenance that may have been overlooked or ignored.

bberg009 likes this.
  3. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    Phew. So it sounds like I should be passing on this particular vehicle?
    My fear is the damage will absolutely hurt me in resell

4. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Way too many 458's on the market to pick this one.

100% pass

Contingent on price of course...

5. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    ^ 100% agreed, I would not being willing to own that car for any amount of money, what do you think about posting the vin for potential future buyers?

6. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    RUN FOREST RUN

7. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    That's in poor condition. You should look for something else

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The reason that car looks like that is because that car has been beat to hell!

Stay away. There are PLENTY of better ones out there.

There is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari! Buy a good one and you will actually save money.

9. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    To be fair to the dealer, I don't want to scare away potential buyers. The sales rep was a respectful, and very likable young gentleman. I'd like to refrain hurting any sort of business on their end.

Nonetheless, I will say the car is in SoCal. I hope everyone does a vigilant visual inspection regardless of the purchase.

10. evommcdmd

evommcdmd Rookie

May 25, 2017
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Mike Cervantes
    I shopped for a 458 in SoCal for almost 6 months before I saw the "one" I considered a 2011 white from a lambo dealer with 12K? miles on it for a good price but it was kinda used a lot. Saw a private seller with a 2012 458 in my neighborhood that same day and bought it on the spot. 6800 miles but in much better condition and Rosso Corsa! It only cost 10K more!
    Good luck on your 458 search.
    I guess i learned from this not to try to save money but get the "one" that just screams at you!

11. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Stone chips I can understand, sometimes they're unavoidable and Ferrari paint is not the best out there. The cracks and scuffs on the other hand show disrespect towards the car and indicate an owner that didn't take very good care of her. I'm sure you'll find "the one" out there.

12. Supratentorialist

Jul 28, 2015
    Australia
    Yep! The most expensive Ferrari is a cheap one!

13. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    was this car at a ferrari dealership? I hope not.

i've been searching ferrari dealers exclusively hoping to avoid this..

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    There are very few , if any, deals of the century on high performance cars. A very low price indicates severe problems. A car in poor cosmetic condition is a sure fire sign that the owner neglected the car in every area. Do not settle for a car that looks anything but almost pristine. You will regret it later on.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  15. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pass on it. This is garbage unless the price totally reflects the repair costs.

There are tons of creampuff 458s out there that are flawless and barely have even been driven. No reason to pay for a beat up car unless it's dirt cheap.

16. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Seems like acceptable condition should he a function of price right? Was it priced accordingly?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

17. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

100% pass
    not standard condition IMO

18. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's in rough shape....at least share price and mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Dose said car have 31k miles on it?

20. F355GTB

F355GTB Karting

Jul 9, 2012
  21. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Agree with the Mayor. This Fcar has been abused...there are plenty of well cared for used 458's for you to buy.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Huh?
    Rear diffusers crack all the time in transport trucks...a known problem with Italias "bouncing" in transport and bottoming out. A simple fix.

A few rock chips and scuffs mean it has miles on it and been driven.

How people can proclaim "this car has been abused" from a few pix is beyond me.

Once again furthering the image of panzy poser owners polishing their cars and staring at them in their garages while sipping merlot and wearing puma shoes.

If the price is right and the PPI checks out...then make your own decision rather than listening to the peanut gallery here.

My only concern would be the seeming lack of interest in presenting the car correctly with some minor cosmetic work before putting it on the market...that might (...might...) speak to other potential issues of disregard and lack of respect for the car and customer.

23. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    ^This, absolutely.

24. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
  25. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    I'm not sure it's indicative of a car which has been abused, it has 30k+ miles on it and is priced accordingly. The most important thing is being able to purchase without any regrets. If you're okay with the issues, they're just cosmetic and can be fixed, so factor that into what you'd offer and get a very thorough PPI done.

I searched and found the car you're talking about. It looks like it's completely loaded with options (carbon fiber dash, center console, parking cameras, led steering wheels, etc.). Personally, I'd be willing to pay more to pay more for a car in perfect condition but I disagree with the others here that it's implicitly been abused. PPI, service records (since it's a 2012, a Ferrari dealer should be able to pull this all up) will tell you what you need to know.

All that said, I hope you're searching nationwide to buy a car like this. I happened to find mine in SoCal but was willing to buy from whoever had the right/best car for me.