MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 37 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    See them side by side! Not being flippant BTW. The aero shaping is really cool to observe on the 720. The 488 is evolutionary looking.

2. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    Sameer...I did. I drove the 488 down to the McLaren dealership in Dallas and, without being able to park them next to each other, I spent a lot of time looking at the car. The 720s has a ton of "neat" technology but the outside of the car seems pretty busy. I did not drive one but do understand from others that have that the drivability of the car in any situation is very, very good. But, I get that same feeling from the 488 so, other than all the neat "toys" that the 720s brings to the table I still do not see it as being a generation ahead. Automotive design seems to be much like music, movies and tv in that the core of future designs are actually built around designs of the past.

3. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Just the CF tub (more rigid, more safety), hydraulic suspension (more range comfort to track, quicker response), less weight (better braking, better acceleration), more power, active aero, less drag (more acceleration on the top end) and you still can't see that its a generation ahead? perhaps you just don't want to see...

Jas likes this.
  4. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    You had me thinking until you decided to climb into my thoughts. The discussion I was having involved the external design of the car as it delegates to the "generation ahead" theory and did not revolve around the technology of the 720s. If you want to elaborate on the external appearance of the car than I will surely listen with an open mind(wanting to see).

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Can't do that anymore than I can explain why vanilla is better than chocolate. As for looks that just subjective, everyone sees what they see.

Personally I like 720s because it doesn't look like anything else. 488 is too 458 for me (I had 2 458s). I also think some elements of the 720, like the headlights and rear spoiler, are like nothing else. The rear spoiler in particular, integrates with the body whether it's up or down. It's a brilliant design. Headlights that provide downforce, thats brilliant too. But again that's all just subjective opinion, normally I don't get into it but since you asked I answered.

6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #906 Lukeylikey, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    The 5.4 sec from 60-130 virtually exactly corresponds to zeperfs, so no surprise at all. 62-124 is 4.7sec. Comparison with 488 for reference here;

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel5623-6633.htm

Interesting to note the 488 has recorded faster minimum times from 80-120km/h, which is 50 to 80mph roughly. A really important increment and a reminder that the 488 is no slouch, despite being not as quick overall.

Summary? Both fast cars, 720 faster, but still with McLaren DNA. Choose which you prefer and like the look of. I don't see any losers here, so long as you buy what you like and not what other people say you should like based on their subjective criteria, instead of the very subjective criteria of your own.

I'm not at all ashamed to say I love the 488, I even bought the (slower) spider version. What an idiot and obvious old fart I am. I just do not have any interest in the 720 at this point, no matter its performance. I like the Ferrari way.

And I don't buy the generation newer thing. It's two years newer, with McLaren having had the chance to see the 488 before finalising the spec. Not a coincidence that torque is 770 when the 488's is 760. It has carbon tub....since 2010 (arguable if it's an overall ownership benefit), I prefer the 488's magnetorheological suspension over the Tenneco system used by McLaren and I don't think Ferrari are behind anyone in terms of driving control, power train management and traction software. Just my view, and I've heard all the other arguments and owned a Mac for two years and 11k miles, so I'm not exactly uninformed, even if people wish to conclude my opinions are ill-judged.

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  8. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    For essentially the same price. I understand the brand loyalty, that's fine. If/when Ferrari comes out with a product as good as the 720 I'll be the first in line ;)

9. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    The cranky old farts on this site appreciate your efforts.

10. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I like old cars too was just driving my F40 yesterday ;) its like nothing else

11. Monsieur Yoge

Monsieur Yoge Karting

May 20, 2016
    Saw a couple in Dubai recently... it certainly makes the 488 look mundane in comparison, pictures do not even come close. The 720s has presence akin to a hypercar, it has that 'alien' look, very extrinsic. In fact even the baby Mac 570 carries that 'alien' look that makes it conclusively exotic, but the 720 is just next level... no car in that price range carries the same presence. McLaren have outdone themselves here

Jas likes this.
  12. Goplay

Goplay Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2012
    Northern CA
    The 720 looks awesome. I should have taken a photo of the purple one they showed at Pebble Beach. Not my color but it looks show car great. The headlights in photos do look like eye sockets but in the flesh (so to speak) details show up and the area looks technical and appropriate for the rest of the car.

Not necessarily a car for everyone. The interior is smaller than a 488 and less storage space. But if you're an enthusiast driver, I think the Macs have the best driving ergonomics. For me the seating position and forward view is excellent.

13. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Just saw it for the first time in Monterey this weekend. Beautiful car, just not as beautiful as the 488... JMO.. I know, I'm bias :)

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

I just don't know
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I agree fully; go and choose which you prefer and like the look of !

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Again the Mac people justify technology for poor aesthetics.

If a garbage truck had a super computer, 2000 Hp, and ran faster than a 488 they would applaud it.

I'm not defending the 488. All modern designs rely too much on technology and "aero" and not enough on visual design. This maybe just happens to be the worst example.

17. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    LOL. Again, solely YOUR opinion of aesthetics. Not ahared at all by those who are huge proponents of the new generation 720S and it's gorgeous aesthetics. If the 720 aero was 100% for looks only I'd be perfectly ok with that. The 720 is what an exotic car looks like and should look like. Exotic and beautiful.

Ferrari's are fantastic looking as well but in my eye simply not exotic when sitting next to the 720S right now.

18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Do you tell people their wives are ugly with such conviction?

It's cool, you don't like it. So what? Many people do.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes. True. Guilty as charged.

But it doesn't make me wrong.

All modern cars suffer this same modern day affliction to some degree or another. Ferrari is not immune. The 720s is just one of the worst case examples.

The difference is Mac people justify ugliness for technology that most will never use in any meaningful way.

The world has decided to design cars by cold computers instead of our hearts. We live in the golden age of ugly-- yet very efficient-- machines. And we tell ourselves how wonderful they are because they go faster and use less energy.

No wonder why people pay so much for classics today. They search for something meaningful, different, and more beautiful than what's offered them in the modern world.

20. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    You are correct. It does not make you wrong. But at the same time it also does not make you right. That is what opinions are. Opinions. Everyone has them. To yourself, your opinion is the right one for you.

It is literally why the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" exists. It's also why the saying opinions are like <you know what> everyone has one :)

So in my opinion, and everyone who shares it alongside me, we love the 720S appearance and are "right". In our eyes, you are very wrong and misguided. You have your own opinion and feel yours is "right" and we are all wrong and misguided.

Nothing wrong with any of that either. At the end of the day, everyone likes or dislikes a particular offering and everyone can vote their opinion here in the forums or with their wallets even. It's all good :)

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If I had to choose, I prefer that a car is initially designed by science as opposed by emotion and then verified and adjusted if need be, by real world driving.

A car designed by the heart may lead to blocked arteries and cardiac arrest.

22. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Great post.

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #925 noone1, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Um, you keep saying this but I barely see any Mac owners "justifying" the looks for technology. Most think the car looks sweet, whether the aero does anything meaningful or not. A lot of them also just happen to think it's a cool idea and fresh, nontraditional thinking as far as design goes.

You're the one putting words in their mouth.

For some reason you just can't stand and come to terms with the fact that people think it looks sweet.

You're also wrong about classic cars. There has never been a shortage of old, classic cars. They have all existed for a very, very long time. New, "weird" designs have nothing to do with classic car prices or demand. Do you think these people buying $20M classics don't also own like every brand new exotic as well?