Ferrari FF PTU failure | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF PTU failure

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by dartagnan06, May 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dartagnan06

dartagnan06 Rookie

Aug 28, 2015
    I have a 2012 Ferrari FF that I just love. It is all the car Chris Harris says that it is. I have had it 3 years. A couple of weeks ago I got an error "ATF low fluid level". The dealer sorted through It's diagnostic messages and it took two weeks at Ferrari while they sorted it out with Maranello. Fluid Level was low which they refilled. The factory authorized a new battery as they thought there was some conflicting diagnostic messages. The Ferrari service has a much different way of approaching things than other car companies, after three years I'm used to everything having to be approved by Maranello. I just assume everything takes a week. In on Monday out on Friday.

So Maranello did not want to authorize a PTU. I took the car back and lasted six laps at Sonoma Sears Point before I got the same error and the mannettino went into the wet mode. So it is back in the shop. What I'm really trying to understand is how Ferrari warranty service works. My dealer tells me that there was a case created on the first error, where the car spent two weeks in the shop, that has not been closed by Maranello, so that case remains open and not settled. A new case for a service ticket, needs to be created, but can't be sent to the factory until the old one is closed. Am I understanding how Ferrari service warranties work?

Do your dealers ever give you loaner cars? At this point I would even drive around in a Maserati.

Gene G likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    never heard about service working like that. don't think ive ever had a loaner - they pick up and drop off but no loaner. I wld imagine any reasonable dealer wld get you one if u asked for it though.

maybe someone will have more useful feedback. sorry

3. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    I recently purchased my FF and had the same thing happen. I took it to Ferrari of Houston, where they replaced the entire unit... I was told, the unit had failed seals, and there was no point in trying to rebuild it. Car was in shop four weeks. Good luck to you.

Jose

4. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Jose did you have a warranty? How long did the process take?

5. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Yes, I will renew next month... It took 4 weeks total. They said it was an internal leak and did not want to replace the seals. I got a new PTU installed.

Jose

6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Many years and many new cars, never had a "loaner", though I honestly think if I asked for one, they'd offer. Most times they will pick up/drop off the car.

As for the "service authorizations", my definite sense is that Ferrari in particular is trying to really scrutinize warranty claims before authorizing work, or even reimbursing dealers. Part of that is good business sense (i.e. if they allowed "keep swapping parts until it's fixed", the cost would be extreme). Part of it is also the complexity of the cars, which the lower volumes exacerbate, as diagnostic challenges are harder.

As for the FF PTU, I have heard of very few "failures", and like the original DCT, they are not currently field serviceable, so any issue, big or small, is an expensive (parts+labor) part swap. I might add that if your PTU had an issue, doing laps at Sonoma (and I presume you were driving hard) can really work the front end of that car, T7 and T11 in particular.

As for your dealer, pure speculation on my part.....1) this might be a new FNA policy, but I have not heard of this previously 2) your dealer might want to get the first "attempt" closed and paid, before having to try again with a related issue, which FNA could kick back as a "you misdiagnosed the first time, no reimbursement". Regardless, a PTU replacement will probably need factory approval and a lot of questions, data, pictures and DNA samples will need to be handled by the dealer before they get the blessing.

Please keep us posted

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Sorry but what does PTU stand for?

8. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    4RM.

PTO=Power Take Off, from tractor lingo.
    PTU= same

FerrariTexas likes this.
  9. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Considering it's a closed system and that low fluid level could only mean a leak, it's surprising they just topped it off and sent the OP on his way.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    I was told the manettino error was caused by a faulty brake switch, which somehow is tied to the manettino system. They said it was a simple fix, part was in stock. The repair was approved by Ferrari quickly. It took 10 days for the PTU to arrive.

Jose

11. dartagnan06

dartagnan06 Rookie

Aug 28, 2015
    Update. The new PTU is authorized, which is the good news. It now has to ship from Italy. On the upside I am driving, as a loaner, a Maserati Ghibley S Q4 with 1000 miles on it. Basically brand-new. My young son says it's too loud and that the Ferrari sounds a lot better.

12. latte123

latte123 Rookie

Jan 21, 2011
    UK
    Part has been authorised (under warranty, as I just bought the 2012 MY car, with a 2 year warranty from the dealer)
    The warning light came on & car diverted to wet mode on my first drive in it!

Have you had any issues since the car was repair / part replaced??

13. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Keep us posted on the matter!

14. Maverick1983

Maverick1983 Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    Jose, would be kind enough to share how much this would cost if not under warranty?

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I would like to know this, too.

16. aznflightfreak23

Apr 16, 2012
    My dealer gives out loaner Fiat 500's. I'd rather go jogging everyday and tone up my body.

MrAwilson likes this.
  17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I have heard some dealerships don't even provide loaner cars. It will be interesting to take the 500 for a spin to re-live "Roman Holiday."

Of course, I'm hoping the dealership will give out Maserati's. Sure would like to take the QP or GT for a short spin. Of course, I would like to try the Giulia QV

Albert-LP likes this.
  18. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Also how many miles on your FF. I just bought a 2014 FF and now am getting worried.

19. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    This is interesting. Another reason for the methodology is how few cars they make every year. The dataset on a Ford Focus (or whatever car produced in large numbers) is significnt. If any model Ferrari has a significant data set it's a HUGE issue for that model. So it could just be a way to capture information.