Historic/collector vehicle registration in AZ | FerrariChat

Historic/collector vehicle registration in AZ

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Rory J, Aug 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Hi all,

I'm a Southern California resident, but I was born in Tucson. My retired parents (Northern California residents for the past 30 years), have just sold a vacation property and are looking at buying a home in Tucson again, where they'll probably end up living for at least half the year. Maybe more as time goes on.

Both my father and I have a few cars that are particularly difficult to smog in California and we're wondering about logistics of keeping them at the AZ home. I've visited the AZdot.gov website but didn't find answers to a few questions.

1) What is the primary difference (besides slightly different qualifications) between the Classic Car and Historic Vehicle plates? The fees appear to be even.

2) The website says that vehicles may be subject to inspection. What does this involve? For example, I have one 1977 model year Italian car with aftermarket carburetors and deleted smog controls (including catalytic converter). Will this get turned away?

3) AZ requires smog testing for vehicles model year 1967 and newer, which is an even more stringent policy than California (post '75). Are vehicles with Classic Car or Historic Vehicle plates exempt from smog testing?

And before anyone gives me an environmental pitch, the cars in question would be driven maybe -- maybe -- 500 miles/year. Mostly, they just sit and look pretty :)

I understand that like California, some very rural areas of Arizona don't require emissions testing at all. I doubt that's the case for Tucson.

Thanks for any tips!

2. PhillipsLT5

PhillipsLT5 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    In Phx area if you have a collector car policy then you can get a emission waiver & buy tags for up to 5 yrs. I do not know if that also applies to Tucson

3. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    In Arizona.. Cars (regardless of year) with a Hagerty collector car policy are eligible for 5 year (no emmission) tags. I have them on my 2001 Corvette.

4. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Great information guys, thanks. Anyone know the functional difference between Classic and Historic plates?

5. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Also, do the five-year tags cost the same as a single year? What's the advantage otherwise?

6. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You Save with extended expiration. Do not think "Hagerty" insurance is anything special, just need classic car insurance. Love California, but I moved to AZ after spending $$$$ on smog in La Quinta. No smog on my car and no restrictions on Historic plates. Love AZ.

7. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
  8. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    One correction in that link: "Historic" was changed from 25 years to 15 years about a decade ago. This is nice, but I've seen the law abused by people who are driving Japanese and Korean jalopies.

9. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    All great information, guys. Thanks. The cars we are talking about are mainly '70s cars, which CA thinks contribute greatly to smog issues here, despite the fact that they are driven very low mileages each year. The average lawn mower, used once weekly for 30 minutes, probably pollutes more than one of these cars do!

Looks like we'll have no issues, all of our fun cars are on collector car policies. The house my folks are closing on has a large garage with one high-load area for an RV, which means we'll be able to install a lift or three. There's room for about eight cars on the ground as it is.

10. JBTC F430

JBTC F430 Rookie

Dec 31, 2006
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Campbell
    OK, here's another question from a Californian perhaps on his way to Scottsdale Arizona for all the reasons stated. I have a 1989 328 GTS. I see that I can get an exemption from smog and that the fees are quite low. But is there a VLF fee on it and if so, on what is it based? As you may know, the car tax in California is on what you paid for it which obviously, for an older Ferrari can be a lot. Other states don't care what the value of the car is as long as it is 25 years old or older, you pay minimal fees. What does AZ do?

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That's funny. I may be moving to AZ later this year and my Nissan Z will be over 15 years old by then. I do plan on making it weekend-use only and getting a pickup for daily driving so that plate may be something I get...as long as it's a DD I won't get historic plates.

12. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Move to Prescott.
    No smog, no inspection, no hassle.
    Never spent more than 45 minutes at the DMV office for anything. Friendly, courteous people.
    Beautiful place to live.
    AZ Annual tags based on depreciated value. Newer vehicles can be similar to Kommiefornia, however older vehicles are way cheaper to license.

13. Kyoso_Joey

Kyoso_Joey Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Joey
    No way there are 15 year old Korean cars being driven around. You'll probably see more and more Japanese "jalopies" taking advantage of this law since Japanese cars are the most reliable cars on the planet.