New scud owner. Looking for a Fire extinguisher | FerrariChat

New scud owner. Looking for a Fire extinguisher

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sky Hye, Aug 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    #1 Sky Hye, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys,

I am so stoked!! New to the F family. Just picked up a 2009 Scud, Rosa first of course. Sub 10k miles. It’s optioned exactly how I wanted except for not having the fire extinguisher. The dealer looked it up and they can get everything but the sleeve. They also said the extinguisher is most likely expired anyway. They also said I’d have to get a different floor panel, is that true?

Do you guys know of any good resources to find an extinguisher. I will check out eBay and ricambi but I don’t care if it’s used.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. monkiboy48

monkiboy48 Rookie

Feb 22, 2012
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Chad
    #2 monkiboy48, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure if you need a new floorboard. I took a picture of mine to help. Looks like you just need the bracket and it is secured using some screws. Good luck!

3. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I really appreciate that. I’ll just drill some hole and screw them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Congrats on the purchase!

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Congrats! She's a beauty!

Dan

6. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Thanks guys. She’s a dream! First thing I’m gonna do is unplug those stupid exhaust vacuum hoses.

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Congrats! Are you looking to stay stock or just have an extinguisher handy? I have "The Bracketeer" which is completely reversible.

8. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Beautiful Scud, congratulation, enjoy it!

If you wonna deactivate the exhaust flaps to permanent open think twice (unplug the vacuum hoses). I installed the Capristo remote control, so I have the choice. The flaps permanent open can lead to headache... ;)

9. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Looking for stock

I’m thinking of the forza, but till then I’ll leave her unplugged. . I know what you mean, my jeep srt was terribly loud. On long drives I’d want to kill myself.

10. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Nice first car! No monkey business, straight to the wheel of a Scud. Well done.

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Don't do it. Been there done that. It's fun the first hour, but starts sounding "cheap" imho. I ran it like that for about 1-2 months. Couldnt wait to put them back on. I later put on Capristo headers and that was a nice jump in sound improvement. Still needs a lil more though. Perhaps 200 cell cats or a muffler change.

12. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Thank you. I figured do it right. Spend more and get what I want and not have any regrets.

13. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    But don’t you think valves always open is better than the tinny sound when they close up? I’m just trying really hard not to modify her aftermarket.

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I don't :). I would install a $350 valve controller if that is what you want.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, you need a new floor panel that is drilled and spaced correctly to fit the extinguisher. Why bother, it only adds weight to the car?

Get the valve controller from Forza Componenti, it is less expensive and of superior construction than the Capristo version, it is copied from.

16. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Congrats! Great spec

Forget the extinguisher. Its a useless poser accessory that adds weight and makes the passenger footwell cramped. I was glad my car didn't come with one.

The stock exhaust will drone horribly with the valves open below 3k. Just get an xpipe muffler like the s-line or kline and you'll be better off. Less drone and reasonably quiet when cruising.

17. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal

Thanks for the tips guys. I’m going to order the forza. How long did it take you guys to receive it?

18. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I wouldn't recommend the forza. Mistake I made in the past. There is no memory so every time you start the car you have to open the valves. The capristo has memory and thus you can set it to valves always open and it will stay that way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Thought I would explain why no memory on the Forza controller ...

Although some people have expressed an interest, it would require a modification (i.e. extra cost) for the printed circuit board. Relatively insignificant, though.

When using the remote fob, there is no visual clue of what mode the valves are in. When you start the car, it could be in one of three modes (Normal, Open or Closed). I thought it best that, since no visual indication, to allow the valves to return to the default mode ... Normal mode. In this mode, the the car's ECU controls the valves. It might be worth noting, that this can be considered the "fail safe" for the controller. Should power be lost to the controller, the circuitry will go to default which is the Normal mode.

The Forza Controller, if using the manual switch option, does allow for setting the valve to either Normal, Open or Closed ... that, upon switching off and restarting, will retain that setting. This is because the switch, being a mechanical device, does not rely on having power to retain the setting. Also, the mechanical switch provides a visual indication of the valve setting.

Regards,

Steve

20. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Sounds logical. It's a non-issue for me. I figure turn the key to on, set the valves to open and fire up the car.

On a side note, how long does it take to receive the Controller once ordered? I'm in 92630

21. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Using FedEx ground ... 2 or 3 business days.

Regards,

Steve

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My butt dyno also tells me I got some low-end response back with the functioning valves.

23. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    The manual switch option requires a wire to be run from the controller located in the engine bay into the passenger area, and a hole drilled into the dash etc to mount the switch. Not what I want to do to my car.

I personally got tired of starting the car and every time having to press the remote button to open the valves. I know on my ff and f12 I want the valves always open. The capristo allows that. Also, there is a noticeable difference in sound when valves are opened vs closed. I don't really need a visual. I can hear it.

Your product is built well. But in all honesty you should spend the money to modify it to allow memory of the valves like the capristo unit.

Had this been an option I would have purchased 6 valve controllers from you. Instead I purchased 1, ended up selling it on eBay and bought 6 from capristo for my cars. I'm sure there are others similar to me.

Btw, the capristo unit is significantly smaller as well which makes it a bit easier to tuck away during the installation.

24. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Thanks for the feedback. There have been others who indicated that they would like a similar option. I will investigate what it will take to include a method to have a "memory" function incorporated into the electronics on the printed circuit board.

Regards,

Steve

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My local Ferrari dealer recommended against the Capristo controller due to multiple failures. They used to sell and install them in customer cars. No more. I am not sure what the failure mode was...it is rather wet around here, and the Capristo wire harness is not nearly as well sealed from the elements...that could be the issue?