road-going 'ALLOY' 365 GTB/4 Daytona - barn find | FerrariChat

road-going 'ALLOY' 365 GTB/4 Daytona - barn find

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Makuono, Aug 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    #1 Makuono, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First time I hear about these "alloy" Daytona. Amazing find. Unbelievable how such car is kept secretly.

"The ONLY ROAD-GOING 'ALLOY' 365 GTB/4 DAYTONA IN EXISTENCE...

...This is the only street version of just five lightweight Alloy Daytonas ever built. Recently discovered in #Japan after being hidden away for nearly 40 years, it will be offered at our #Maranello sale in remarkable, unrestored condition for the very first time."

https://www.instagram.com/rmsothebys/

(in case this is a repost, kindly erase the thread)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sperry

sperry Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    I wonder if they'll wipe the dirt off for the auction.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    RM Sotheby's state: "This is the only street version of just five lightweight Alloy Daytonas ever built."

I thought there were 6 other alloy Daytonas which are Comp cars as follows: 12547 which RM refer to in their description of this car which is 12653 plus 5 of the 1971 Series 1 Comp Daytonas as follows: 14407, 14429, 14437, 14885 and 14889.

4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I think whoever made the Instagram post made an error as the catalogue states this was additional to the 5 series 1 cars. however that still omits reference to 12547.

1969 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Berlinetta Alloy by Scaglietti | Ferrari ? Leggenda e Passione 2017 | RM Sotheby's

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I think that the dirt is holding the car together. Man that is a rough piece, a very expensive restoration for the next owner.

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Look at the pictures of the interior, especially the seats.

Barn find originality can also mean decrepit. If the car is properly cleaned up and made mechanically functional does it diminish in value?

7. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Nice and interesting Daytona.

It should be SIX comp. alloy cars and ONE road car.

if the car needs body off restoration, full mechanical overhaul, retrim, rechrome, refurbish everything it will be in the million plus (if done by Classiche)
    But I read: Application for certification submitted to Ferrari Classiche.
    So I doubt if you go to Coachbuilder X and Engineering comp Y your car will be certified, but I might be wrong.

Strip the paint off and you can see the corrosion on the alloy body. It might be very good after all those years of neglect.

8. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Drooling here.

I love this car. Wish I was bidding.

I would sort out the mechanicals and the suspension, wash it and drive it for a while, then decide later whether or not to ever do anything with the cosmetics.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How much lighter is it?

JG333SP likes this.
  10. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Back in the day, I brokered an alloy car to Rick Schramek and Ray Ramsey (Ferrari of S.F.), but don't have a record of the S/N. It was at that time that the original keeper of S/N's, Jess Pourret, told me that the comp Daytonas were built in 3 series of 5 each, of which only 1 (5 cars) were alloy. Jess has been proven wrong once or twice, but generally he had good factory info.
    Since the car in question is alleged to be a road car, the above may have no relevance.
    I think Jess still helps out a bit at Classiche.

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    14437?

12. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    #12 Tenney, Aug 24, 2017
    Barn finds are hot at the moment (and that's a cool car!). Though would guess that, unless that dirt has a point of view (LeMans? Daytona?), someone will wash it at some point and sell it for more money. Meanwhile, go Herman ...!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #13 TheMayor, Aug 24, 2017
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The A/C looks like a bogus aftermarket item, not factory.

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #15 miurasv, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Steering wheel not correct either is it? Abarth???

A minor thing though.

16. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    The car looks like it was submerging in water for a time, with all the steel components corroded. Good thing it is an alloy body ;)

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #17 miurasv, Aug 24, 2017
  18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #18 miurasv, Aug 24, 2017
  19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree... but that means someone installed the compressor, condenser, dryer, hoses, tubes, belts, pulleys, wires and who knows what else in it somewhere.

Looks also like some butchery of the door panels for a radio as well.

20. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Oh come on, regardless of what it looks like now, we all know that in a year or so it will be on the lawns of Pebble Beach looking like its been in a deep sterile hibernation since the day it left the factory, the years of use will be swept away from its history completely and forever.

21. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    I could see it displayed at "The Peterson Museum" just as it sits roped off with those red velour
    Ropes :)

22. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Can't really call that a barn. But I now feel highly motivated to go check all my dilapidated sheds to see if there might be something interesting hiding under the rotting canvas tarps.

Really, how did this once upon a time beauty just go abandoned under a shed for 40 yrs? SMH....

23. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Also , all the bumpers have been painted black, the steering column stalk on the LH side of the column is aftermarket and looks like it has a button on the end of the stalk for maybe cruise control???

24. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    With the various items that have been swapped-out here and there, it's not really a "time-capsule" - as originality has already been altered.

If the sheetmetal's still good, might be best not to take it apart - but restoring the various pieces to original could be ok while the hobby decides what dust is good dust?

25. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #25 wildcat326, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Two questions:

1) Is there any chance that, as an alloy one-off, it had some other trim features unique to it, like the steering wheel?

2) Am I the only one who thinks that it looks about a $600 detail job away from "not that bad?"

Mind you, I'm not saying the hoses haven't rotted and the engine doesn't need a refresh, but otherwise looks like the interior has lost color due to humidity and probably will have a misty stench from rotting seat foam. I PROBABLY could Cannonball it with the windows down for fresh air if I had to:) But then, I sorta like "patina."