Who here attends F1 GP's? | FerrariChat

Who here attends F1 GP's?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by renman95, Jun 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    I try to go to at least one or two races per year.

I would love for the new owners of F1 to place a second USGP in Hawaii. The Big Island would be most appropriate. It has to be a proper track like the one in Austin but run through the lava tubes and coffee country. A boy can dream, right. ;-)

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I used to go to Long Beach when it was F1. Just incredible !

But I think the only racing you'll see in Hawaii will be with canoes. It's too bad the hydroplane races around Ford Island got cancelled. That was fun.

3. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    I've been to a few. Japan GP isn't too far away. The fans are really great there too.

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    They have the Iron Man in Hawaii, on the big island. a USGP would be awesome! Great idea. I think it would be a huge destination. Kind of like a West Coast GP of Monaco

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Really bad idea. Hawaii is too isolated, and the population is too small to draw a big crowd. You might think it would "help" the hotel business, but the hotels are already full on weekends. When the last people tried to put on a big race (The Hawaiian Superprix), the hotels gave priority to racing fans in order to support the event. When it was cancelled, the hotels lost their regular customer income from the cancellations. Many other local businesses, and individual ticket buyers also got stiffed by the promoters.

Google "Hawaiian Superprix" - one of the most incredible sporting fiasco's of all time.

6. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    My son and I will be attending the Austrian GP tomorrow. Currently in Berlin waiting for a flight to Vienna.

It's a long haul from HI for just a race but we incorporated the GP within a holiday visiting relatives in Berlin and Stuttgart.

We'll be seated in the main grandstand across from the paddock, about where the row-10 cars start from.

Look for two guys wearing leis. ;-)

7. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    #7 renman95, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
  9. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Wow! That sounds amazing! We were in Berlin about six weeks ago and you are right -- it is a long way from Hawaii. What a great idea, to combine the F1 with your travels. It looks like a fantastic adventure!

10. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    Finally heading home...planes, trains, and automobiles.

I've been looking for a way to get to Spa and found one. I bid and got a 90+ hour layover in Liege, Belgium over the race weekend late August. Spa is always entertaining and usually wet.

11. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Spa is in Belgium, right? (I assume near Liege.) So I assume you are heading back to Europe in August. I hope your travels home and back again go smoothly!

12. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    I bid a four-day layover in Liege and got it. It's a relatively new layover city for us since we bought TNT recently. The actual hotel stay is in nearby Aachen, Germany. I've got my ticket, parking pass, and rental car set.

Looking forward to this track. I'm thinking of hanging out at the Kemmel Straight...top speed and passing plus I want to walk down Eau Rouge post race. Bus Stop would be cool as well, close to the Start/Finish and post race celebrations.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Come to Austin, be glad to show you around!!!

14. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    Thx BT. I'm somewhat familiar. I used to live downtown in Speedway Heights in the early 90's. My 1935 Tudor home has since been demolished to make way for more student housing. Sad, really. It was a 'cool' home with lots of Deco styling inside.

I still have a friend that lives out on Lake Travis. I may visit him this Spring, daughter is moving out there...

15. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    Forty minutes to the race start, up on the Kemmel Straight. Temperature is nice with a cool breeze then the sun peaks out and I begin to sweat, lol.

Even though I bought a parking pass, I hiked 2.4 miles up to Kemmel. Serious vertical elevation here. Beautiful countryside. Sitting by some rabid Max fans, should be fun. They've been drinking Heineken since 9am....

16. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    #16 renman95, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017