Jenson Button To Indycar in 2018? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Jenson Button To Indycar in 2018?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by David Lind, Aug 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

First of all, all four drivers in the post you responded to were or are F1 drivers.

Second, all four were born outside of the U.S., not that that makes one bit of difference.

Do you actually think before posting?

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Again provide me statistics of greatness of us driver in formula one; u are deriving the conversation from the previous post.

Please do try to educate me and i will gladly educate you back on formula one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Your posts are nonsense. Go argue on pistonheads.

Buhbye:D

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Thank u for proving my point... it is one thing to say x,y,z is better than so and so when comes time to back it up u get personal, calling me a child... sad...to educate one must be able to teach.

5. #30 lorenzobandini, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    I missed the child calling thing....oh well. :rolleyes:

The U.S. is terrible. I'd go back to Yurrup or 3rd world...I mean...South America...if I disliked the people so much. 'Wouldn't want to be here. 'Know what I mean? ;)
    I'm amazed so many come here to reap yet beach about how bad it is. Amazing.

Back to our regularly scheduled Button thread...... :)

6. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If Button is motivated and has the right tools to do the job then he will do well.

Look at the championship winning year with Brawn

Motivated= maybe no job and no career if this don't work out....

Tool to do the job = Brawn car with a blown rear diffuser -genius

Result= one of the biggest surprises / upsets in recent F1

Regards

Michael

7. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Not really. 33 of the same cars relates to equal performance. A driver of quality can not display superior performance when the car will not permit it.

8. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    We are not the ones drinking warm beer and driving on the wrong side of the road mate!!! Somehow some guys named Gurney, Foyt, Holbert seemed to find their way to victory in a rather small road even called LeMans. Never mind the fact that some guy named Andretti made toast out of Europe's best in F! in 1978

Turbopanzer....Urinating in the corn flakes of Europeans since 1957 :D

9. Natkingcolebasket69

1978...39 years ago ...followed by the great michael andretti and legendary scott speed in recent memories; or the wonderful BAR tean or HAAS;)
    Ill admit there are some excellent American drivers but in F1 they seem to either be brazilian, german or British.

10. I'm impressed with your iPhone with Tapatalk and resentment of the U.S.
    Let's get back on topic. :)

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Dario Franchitti got his start in American open wheeled racing as a rookie with the
    Hogan CART team in 1997 among a class of CART rookies which also included
    Patrick Carpentier who landed with Bettenhausen.

Franchitti was ranked highly by Autosport and other industry insiders as a up and
    coming driver from Formula Vauxhall Lotus and British Formula 3 where he showed
    well for some top teams and he caught the attention of Mercedes-Benz bosses.

Rather than go into F-1, he ended up in DTM for Mercedes-Benz. He was later offered
    a test role at McLaren but instead he stayed with Mercedes-Benz into the CART deal
    with Carl Hogan's team.

I was drafted in by Mercedes-Benz to photograph his first test for Hogan at Sebring in
    early 1997 just after the team took late delivery of the last of the '97 Reynard chassis.
    This was not much more than a shake down test as new chassis issues were sorted,
    the minnow team seemed a bit discombobulated by their late start and never really
    caught up.

Franchitti showed well during the 1997 CART season particularly at the Portland event
    where he was up with the front runners in the rain before the car ultimately let
    him down and he DNFd. He seemed quite canny and had good race craft, his
    potential was very evident and he was ultimately drafted into the KOOL Team Green
    squad the 1998 season partnering with Paul Tracy and the rest is history.

There would be any number of reasons a top driver the calibre of Franchitti or Tom
    Kristensen (for example) never got a shot in F-1. A lot of it political but also opportunities
    lost due to manufactures failing to follow through on their promise to
    enter F-1 and take drivers with them, etc. Stories for another day though...

BHW

12. With all due respect, what does all the above have to do with drivers moving from F1 to IndyCar? :confused: :)

13. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Has anyone seen what team in America Jenson is linked to? Havent' seen anything online. I thought Penske already has his 2 drivers for the Honda AMLS car, unless he's running two cars.

14. 'Haven't seen or heard anything about him being linked to an American team. 'Got a link to that by chance? :)

15. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    The link is in the first post of this thread, in the article it mentions he might look at racing in America full time.

16. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    So ex F1 drivers now have a new home. How is this going to fix a broken series?

17. Gotcha...'read that days ago and that's why I asked. I thought you had diff info intimating he was "linked" to a specific team here, not just "maybe America" (which could include, Canada, or south of us...he was talking to an Indian reporter in Japan: By: Rachit Thukral, Reporter, India). It all just sounds hypothetical to me. :)

Button:
    "I will be definitely doing something next year for a full season," the Englishman said. "Whether it's here (insert: Japan) or in America or somewhere else, I don't know yet.

"But the discussions are underway. We'll see how this weekend goes. If it goes well and if I enjoy the weekend, which I think I will, then maybe I could be racing here (insert: Japan) next year."

18. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Ganassi should have 3 open seats. It seems that only Dixon is safe w/ Chip.
    Andretti having re-upped w/ Honda means 3 of his drivers (Marco, Rossi & Sato) are pretty safe.
    Penske? I don't see Helio keeping his seat; not w/ a "semi-retirement" seat looming in the new Penske IMSA program. That would be the racing equivalent of a gold watch for Helio's great service over the past 18 seasons.

19. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Sato is going to Rahal. So it's Hunter-Reay, Marco and Rossi (maybe) at Andretti with a 4th seat open. Rossi supposedly was approached by Smith Peterson, but there are conflicting stories on Rossi staying at Andretti, so that's still up in the air.

I'm really interested to see what Chip pulls out of his hat. I think we might be in for a surprise, at least I hope.

20. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    No matter where Jenson races, it appears it will be with Honda: he raced a NSX this past weekend, filled in for Alonso in a McLaren Honda and tried a Honda Rallycross car months ago. If it's America, it has to be Team Penske's 2 car effort Acura DPi in IMSA, they only announced 2 drivers with 2 more to go.

21. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    People get blinkers on and think that just because America hasn't generated as many F1 greats as other continents all Americans are crap. To me (as an Ex-Pat Brit who's made his home in the USA) that's jingoistic thinking at its worst. There's enough racism in the country and world already. I don't see one single thing in human biology that can possible make some one better or worse at being a race car driver no matter where they are from on the planet.

The thing that most people forget is that in the US Formula 1 isn't necessarily something young kids grow up aspiring too. From the end of WWII until the CART/IRL split millions of young kids grew up believing that Indy was THE place to shoot for. From (arguably) some point in the 70's onwards to today, millions of kids then grew up believing NASCAR was the pinnacle of all motorsport. IF you set out as a young kid with the dream and goal of winning the Daytona 500 or Indy 500 you are going to structure your career, you goals, your training series to those ends, not necessarily F1. Also if you are a young racer starting out and trying to raise money, you look at sponsors in your home area. It's harder for a young American kid to raise money to come up through the very Euro centric feeder series if they want to take that money to Europe.

I'm not saying Indycar should be considered an equal to F1, but it's an outstanding series with outstanding drivers that deserves respect from everyone. As a byproduct of the hard times over the last 20 years the series is magnitudes cheaper to run than F1. There are many highly rated European born drivers didn't have the off track talent, connections etc. to raise the money to get into F1 who came here and raced Indy cars with success. Franchitti was a peer and equal to McNish and DC. Dan Wheldon was another.

I mentioned NASCAR a minute ago, someone is bound to come and make a short sighted comment about it easy to be able to turn left all day. While i personally have zero interest in NASCAR and have watched exactly one NASCAR race in its entirety I don't make the mistake of dismissing the skill and talent of the drivers. If it's easy, let’s talk about how JPM, Kimi, Dario etc. did. I would bet that if Jeff Gordon had been born in Europe we'd have seen him as an F1 WDC rather than the NASCAR force he was.

22. I like the way this guy (^^^) thinks. :)

23. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  24. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ............yea, I can see Button and Danica Patrick as a good team for Penske's IMSA attempt, now that they both are retired. :)

David Lind likes this.
  25. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    not Danica.

Penske likes to win.