Where are all the Pebble Beach Photographs?!? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Where are all the Pebble Beach Photographs?!?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 134282, Aug 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Maybe the mods could split the discussion about right or wrong restorations and keep this thread for the nice pictures?

2. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    #102 ferrarip4, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Stradale turns 50 and the Alfa Museo Storio has a special exhibit of their 33 Stradale Prototype (the one with 4 headlights, arguably the most beautiful of them all!)

New Exhibit Celebrates Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale?s 50th Birthday - Motor Trend

Franco Scaglione is not only the father of the 33 (arguably the most beautiful car in the world, at least in my eyes), but also the amazing BAT cars, the beautiful but never produced Sportiva (which inspired the 8C Competizione) and the Giulietta Sprint Speciale... One most underrated designer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    #103 ferrarip4, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    I would call 0402AM a monstrosity. Mercedes SLR has beautiful body lines. Whereas the Ferrari's looks like the mercedes race transporter of 1954 :)

5. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    You're a bit harsh. They look closely related ;-)

6. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    The Mercedes is raw while the Ferrari is more elegant.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  8. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Thank you Peter, to understand my point of view,
    Finally, better soon than never.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Timo, put this way your point is quite reasonable as we are talking theoretically. Re Thomassimas, well when spending time with Tom in LA, in 1996 and 2013 and reading the old articles made me wish I could experience them from behind the wheel but seeing T3 in the Fiorano Ferrari museum a couple of years ago it felt just a little over the top, yes.

Best regards,

Marc

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I am not sure about the connection between the Uhlenhaut Coupe and 0402AM, would like to find solid proof for such a claim.

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  12. superleggera

superleggera Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Dry Heat, AZ
    Two additional notes about 0402AM (and please excuse the thread drift).

At PB in 1998 when we brought 0402AM to the lawn, we had the opportunity to ask Sergio Scaglietti several questions through his interpreter who was there that day and conversed with us for 45 minutes. As for the Merc? Sergio never saw the 300SLR nor knew of its existence at the time. I asked about the creation of the cutline in the front fender and he said it was done to reduce the visual mass and to balance visually the shape that they were creating as what they built didn't look right initially. He also added that he reutilized this idea for what later became the pontoon fender Testa Rossa and he took the idea to an extreme in terms of functionality.

One issue with restorations is old pictures found and the actual camera utilized. Quality of cameras lenses different greatly and lens induced distortion is a big issue in getting a true picture of what was actually there. It is a bigger issue today given the usage of portable cameras and phones with lens quality that is horrifically bad. Most people never discuss this but when doing restoration work it is paramount to understand what actually captured the image itself.

13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I never questioned the fact that the nose now and the nose in the posted picture looks different, that was not the point. I questioned the prejudgement of the restorers, the owner and the judges just on base of a single picture. I said that most likely the restorers had their reason and thankfully "superleggera" came by and mentioned exactly what I suggested...

And this was all I criticized!!! And just for that I was made appear as the "bad guy", the one in question is sulky, his buddy jumping to his rescue insists that I am biased because I actually saw the car ;)
    I said back then that I might regret that and today I really feel sorry for wasting my time on that because I could have talked to a parking meter as well...Might have been a little bit more expensive but the response would have been the same :D

14. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    But must accept that sometimes harshness comes with the magic: I guess 0297EU would still run around without the original chrome decoration had Cyril not expressed how shocked he was about the stripped nose.

Other than that too I think the crowd is in a need of a wake up call. If it takes banging the table with one's fists and yelling so that the chandeliers tinkle, so be it!

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Excellent comment again, thumbs up!

16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    OK, in the case of #0402AM, "superleggera" gave a clear explanation about the restorers reasons. But we could also start a new thread and talk about other cars and the many wrong noses or other parts, and make never ending assumptions (Why #0808 has a wrong body from the front to the rear or why #0070M looks like a Mickey mouse car now, and so on...). Could be interesting.

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #117 TTR, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    + 1
    Thank you, Sir.
    For decades, I've been telling pretty much the same thing to anyone who'd listen, along with the fact you also mentioned in your earlier post about the in-person observations and analysis of support structures and other related details behind the coachwork, only available during actual hands-on work on any car.
    This is something many of the inter webs/photos-only comparing "experts" don't seem to understand.

18. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
  19. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I have just read some posts in this thread reproaching me for being a bit aggressive.

Sorry to everyone !!

It must come from the fact that winning my life very well and having never earned a penny from Ferrari, I don't need to polish the shoes of the owners and restorers to live.

20. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So you apologize just to imply an insult in the next paragraph???

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

21. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Sense of humor ? Yes ? No ?

22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I am German...so NO

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

23. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Come on... I'm close to the border with Germany and I know that you have...

24. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Excellent !! 👍😂

25. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland