Countach Prices dropping? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Countach Prices dropping?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by frached, Aug 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My take, you can get a good boxer for 250-300k right now, add 25-50k for a Ct.

2. I'd still like a Dino. Passed on one for 52k...ugh. A friend had a carbed 512bb for a short time. What a neat car. Red with Daytona seats. I got him to bring it over to my house & park it next to my Pantera, in my garage. I then took a picture and mailed it to some friends (an actual pic, before cell phones) and the only thing I said with it, was that I was making some progress on the Pantera. :). My phone was ringing off of the hook when they got the picture!

3. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I need a white Testarossa, a black 328 GTS, and a white 930!

4. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I think you are missing some zeros

5. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Agree on the Testa,had one for 3 years ,daylie driver, poss a 512 tr if to do it again, Bought a spanking new 328 gts in 88, drove it one summer, sold it,never looked back, .It did absolutely nothing for me, slow, seating to high, sqicks and bends, if you park it with one wheel on an uneven surface,the central lock keeps popping up, why these cars are rising is beyond me, i would never buy another,and you look like a total dusch ,driving it ,with half your head popping up above the windshield,its a girls car ,at best, imho, The 930 Porsche,clean original wide body turbo,is very cool, (non slant nose) great stabelmate to for a Countach

6. frached

frached Rookie

May 20, 2017
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Fares Rached
    Not sure why but there seems to be an extraordinary number of Countach's for sale in the US right now, primarily late 80's, but there must be about 8 of them. Ranging in mileage from 6k to about 20k and training in price from 265 to mid 400's. Doesn't the rule of supply and demand mean something here? Is it me or does it seem like everyone is trying to sell a Countach?

7. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    You're 100% correct. Everyone who wanted a quick profit threw their car onto the market believing it would bring the big bucks. As a result the market is currently flooded.

Now there's nothing wrong with selling your vehicle if you like. However some observation is required in order to list a car at the opportune time. Had more owners been discreet and waited for that time they would have been happy campers.

Another issue is the range of vehicle quality that we see being advertised. Since there are many parties trying to quickly get a piece of the action we see cars that need a lot of work despite their description. It's my personal opinion that the good cars are still being traded privately for decent sums of money.

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agree on all points.

9. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Many people say to face that I should sell one car to get money out of them,
    My standard awnser for these advise is; What would I do with the money? I all ready got exactly what you should do with money... own a Countach, 512BB, Testarossa and Diablo.

10. frached

frached Rookie

May 20, 2017
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Fares Rached
    I am just trying to learn the algorithms on the collector side of the auto industry. All 3 of you made excellent points and I appreciate the response. Do any of you think the Jalpa, due to its low production, could experience price increases over the next couple of years? I think the one that sold at Mecum Harrisburg was below market and seems like a nice car. Or is it the 12 cylinder cars that have historically experienced the increases? I have also seen some really nice cars overall but have had total repaints. Obviously that affects the value but is there any industry standard on how much assuming the car is straight and ok otherwise? Let's face it, a lot of the Countach's were used pretty hard for many years when nobody wanted them.

11. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Personally not shure reg Jalpa future values, although imo,it does not really represent anything extrordinary in the Italian supercar history,imo, reg Countache beeing driven and used hard during the unpopular era, i respectfully disagree, i think most of them sat around in small dealerships an privat garages, taken out on occasion,

12. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Agree, i notice you are doing far better than me, you got 4, i only got 1,for now

13. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #38 EMILIO, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Jalpa had usually a harder life than countach because they were cheap for some time
    my fother owned a 1983 one (Series 1) from 1990-2000
    it is a nice car, fun to operate and drive but honestly in look, sound; performance and history is not comparable to a countach imo

i think they were around 25-45K euro cars at the bottom (one of the reasons many were bought on a budget and mainatined sparing money here and there...)
    now around 100K euro, for a good good one, in Europe and i do not see them going higher soon.

the silhuoette on the other hand is much rarer and nicer looking and with the iconic bravo wheels i think is and will be probably even more expensive

14. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Can we draw a parallel between the Ferrari 8 cylinder 308s and the 365bb and jalpas countach market?

308s had a bump in value but are now languishing.
    The Jalapa, although in limited numbers seem to exist in obscurity forever overshadowed.

15. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    More of a parallel
    Veterosina and silhouette distinguish themselves as much higher values than their counterparts

16. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    yes
    with a difference:
    the vetro is NOT mega rare, is NOT really different from the carbed 308s
    only difference being the ...30(?) Kgs of weight more for the steel one and the rear lights. period

the silhouette has:
    - different interior
    - different gauges and dash
    - different body
    - different engine
    - different wheels (some jalpas were sold with silhouette wheels though)
    - probably quite a bit lighter
    - only 50 made Vs 410 Jalpa

i think the premium paid for 308 vetro against same car in steel is too big

while, with the silhouette.... i can understand the difference

17. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    The countach is my favorite car, I passed on one for 60K and bought a testarossa instead (Wish I can do that over)

With that said I have been watching the market for the last five years. Ebay has the SAME cars for sale over and over and the same price and NOT selling. I have seen a few that have been on ebay from the same seller for over a year on and off.

If I can ever get into one for 150 I will sell everything else I own and buy one. So I personally hope supply and deman allow them to come back down in price but kind of doubt they will.

18. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow

Well seeing that they aren't making any more the supply is going to stay the same or dwindle. Therefore it is safe to say that if demand keeps increasing so will the price.
    It is my belief that the Countach's that you see for sale forever and ever are priced that way as that is what it will take for the owner to part ways with it. I am sure that every now and then one will pop up where the owner must sell for one reason or another, then a deal might be had. I would consider this the rare exception that a buyer must be able to react immediately to in order to secure it before someone else does.

19. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    #44 P300V8, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The difference between rare and mega rare...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Autosport

Autosport Karting

May 25, 2013
    I think I Countach more than many other exotics, there is a big difference in price between a good one and one that has many needs. Just my opinion,,,,you will never buy a good one for $150k.

21. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Beautiful picture! Love it.

Mike

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think the countach has a serious case of "never meet your hero's" some things in life are much better left to fantasy.

It is quite possible some of these sellers want out of the car simply because they don't like to drive it, and could be very disappointed in the car. Sure they look amazing going down the road, but you as the driver don't get to see it..all you get to see is a dash board and a steering wheel. Complete strangers get to see the real visual impact of the car, the driver not so much.

Face it, the countach is iconic, for sure, but it's defiantly not a friendly car to drive,

anunakki likes this.
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It's true, some people are simply not up to the task of piloting a Countach effectively within what's comfortable to them.

Also true, there are many poor examples of Countachs out there which end up providing disappointing ownership experiences.

So there is merit in what you say, and its true for other makes & models too.

I must be lucky, because I have owned many amazing examples of the Countach over 30 years, I've never regretted owning any of them, and I find the Countach easy to drive and enjoy, always did, and still do.

24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    joe have you done a recent value by countach type recently? curious where you see things

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not recently, my life has been slightly overwhelmed by GTOs/F40s/F50s/Enzos, but I will get on it soon.