thinking of a Mclaren 570s | Page 2 | FerrariChat

thinking of a Mclaren 570s

Discussion in '360/430' started by bocaf430, Aug 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The McLarens are cool but, from what I've seen, they don't hold their value well. So, you'd likely be trading a car that is near the bottom of its value with a car that will likely devalue significantly. I was thinking that the best way to go is get a used McLaren and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

2. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    #27 cuneo, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Drive a 12c. Way cheaper than a 570, and you get the cool hydraulic suspension and active aero. Warranty coverage available until 2024 in 2012 models. Not a fan of 570/650 styling
    but I have heard the transmissions shift a bit better in the newer cars.

Any McLaren will annhililate a 430 in terms of speed. Sound, not so much.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yup. I respect that. There is a reason all brands and configurations sell. Tastes vary. I agree the 911 is engaging, just don't like the feel of that much weight behind the rear wheels. I would not be the least bit surprised if more 911's have been sold than all mid engine Ferraris, McLarens and other high end cars put together. So clearly the market does not agree with me. My brother just got a new 911 GTS. I have to confess, I did wander off topic in my last post. With that said, yes, 911 is engaging (although not my cup of tea), F430 is engaging (mine is gated and I love it), 650 and 570 are engaging. Can't speak to 12c. I did not find the 458 engaging. Side by side with the 570, I would say except for sound, I find the 570 much more engaging than the 458. 458 is also better on ingress/egress.

4. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I will look into a 12c but I want a warranty... I will have to start looking

5. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Mac 12c's for sale in CT at $140k ish. Is that right? Seems like a deal for a limited production sports car especially if they come with an extended factory warranty. Only issue for me is that the front fascia almost reminds me of the Lotus Evora or is it just my untrained eyes? Does someone also know the engine reliability of 12c's or have a good thread where it's discussed?

6. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Yes the front does look a bit like an Evora and not very attractive. Friend of mine had a 2013 model that he bought new and put 15k miles on it. Did have few issues but warranty took care of it. Not a car I would own without warranty.

7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yes, the 12c smile! Not a fan, I do like the 570, put not sure I'd chose to drive it more often than my Ferrari.

8. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    FWIW, I think the 12C and the 430 were done by the same designer.

9. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012

Yep, Frank Stephenson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You have to drive a 12c. I have --- nothing like Ferrari and not in a good way IMO.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes and Ferdinand Porsche designed tanks as well as cars.

12. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    If you are looking for a used 12C be sure you stay away from VIN# below 1000 (last four digits) and thank me later. After 1000 the reliability went up substantially.

Best,

13. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
  14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I am tempted to sell my CS for a 570S. The CS has increased markedly in value over the past 7 years. It's like money in the bank.

I'm afraid the 570 (as good as it is), will just be a depreciating beast. I did find an orange one with the track pack (a must for me). It's a '17, with 1K miles and its already $30K under sticker!

Heart or head....... 1st world problems, that I am glad I have.

On another note, I hope any Houston members here are safe and sound. I just donated to the rescue efforts.

15. 2MS

2MS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'd keep the CS. It will be a true classic. I drove the 570s a few times and it is an amazing car but still hasn't really hit flat line in regards to depreciation due to it being a new car. Drive a 12c or a 650s and your CS may be on the market faster than you can shift into 3rd.

As the saying goes, if you can keep do both, then you must.

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I spent about an hour in a 570S in McLaren Orange. What a brilliant car and deceptively and brutally fast. Not even trying 100 came up in mess that 7 seconds. Turbo lag was non existent. Steering feel was as good as the CS. The handling was great... what a blast at the track it will be.

The CS just may be on the block! Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Funny Dino, this was my 570S which I had for three months, almost the same spec.
    Thrust me, the 570S is extremely entertaining on the track, a car with an excellent driving behavior and an enormous performance potential.

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That hits the nail on the head (and I donated to Houston efforts, too; now Irma is coming, ugh..hope everyone stays safe). Most of us would not be comfortable with that big a depreciation hit, especially if you have a particularly desirable Ferrari such as a CS.

If, however, you could use the McLaren as a DD, say, in place of a Porsche, then it would start to become palatable from a financial standpoint, since those cars probably are close in depreciation (991s seem to do better than past generations, perhaps because their engines have been moved forward a bit, and seem so far to have far fewer issues than past generations), and you would get good use for the depreciation you'd suffer. But if the car mostly sat in the garage and is used only for Point A to Point A, and occasionally for track days, that's a mighty expensive toy. No doubt there are members here who wouldn't care too much about the depreciation factor, but I'd guess most would at least consider it.

A buddy has a 360 Spider and a 570s, and does use the 570s more, although he also says he still enjoys the 360. The 570s has had a few problems that have required a tow, so he's glad it's under warranty.

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Why did it go away after just 3 months? I think it would take me that long to figure out the dash

It was deceptively quick. I was short shifting and 100 was a sub 7 second thing. Oh..... and did I mention the steering?

This might be good to buy 1-2 years old. I have had a bunch of Ferraris and have never lost money on them. There must be a way to avoid a Macca financial disaster. Buying used makes the most sense. But, boy was it ever good!

20. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    We have a 570S and the 12C. The price point on the 12C now makes it a really nice option for guys looking to upgrade into something different. They definitely may not sound better, but I do believe they out handle and perform them every where else. We use our McLaren's entirely more than the Ferrari at this point. McLaren has definitely had it's problems (notorious coolant issue) but otherwise it enjoy the tons of miles we put on them.

21. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Last year I bought a new 650S coupe, and because its delivery had a bigger delay McLaren gave me for free a 570S to bridge the waiting time.
    Regarding depreciation: It is not planned to sale the 650S during the next few years, therefore the depreciation has no importance for me, I bought this car to drive and enjoy, fine della storia.

22. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    my fear on buying a 12c would be ... if suspension parts needed, rear aero wing..etc..parts probably expensive.... a 570s would still have a warranty...

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Anything other than a P1 or 675LT in the Mclaren series is just going to depreciate, perhaps not nearly as fast as a quick Merc like an AMG but it will shed a tonne of money, whereas the CS won't....At least the 12C's have pretty much bottomed out now but don't forget some spare parts prices are just insane, look up how much Mclaren want for a 12C steering rack if you want some amusement!

Dino, you do remember how much your AMG lost right? ;)

I really like Mclaren's but I personally think they've only become truely desirable (especially moving from a CS) when they did the 675LT. A proper track focused car. The others are more mainstream versions and ofcourse they will be properly quick just like the equivalent vintage Ferrari (think how fast a 488 feels) but really once you've had special cars like the CS, Scuderia or Speciale you really will miss the buzz they provide. The only Mclaren which hits the spot right now is the truely track focused 675LT (which is truely inspiring, I love it!)...

As good as they are the new 720's have made the 650S feel instantly obselete and that's before the impending price correction happens..

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Thanks Trev for making think sanely!

25. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE