BICYCLES | Page 28 | FerrariChat

BICYCLES

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Igor Ound, Aug 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does anyone know where I can find a Campagnolo Record cassete 10 speed 13-29 for a goo price? Thanks!

2. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    Anyone using an InPower? I was offered one today to test. I would have to change bearings and crankset, so I'm gauging if the effort is worth it.

3. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hey big spenders ;)
    My Father's Day Present is really taking a beating. Replaced a pedal, ripped off and threw out some other misc parts that were dangling. Wifey says maybe Santa will bring a new one.

I passed a Trek on a climb felt like a king! Lol.

Still doing 16mi a day until the snow flies.

Who here rides all year, in the snow?
    Is it doable?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Zoinks! I'd say this bike is taking a heck of a beating.

Sure, you can ride in the winter/snow and just about any condition imaginable. But, you'll find the expense of better clothing and wear on your bikes to be much higher. If you're wearing out your current bike at this pace in the summer, imagine what it'll be like in the winter with snow, salt, sand etc.

Additionally, if you ride in the winter you'll find the time spent cleaning your bike goes up dramatically --- like after nearly every ride. I ride all winter long if the roads are dry. Otherwise, I'm happy to hop on the trainer or rollers for an hour in the safety of my own basement.

5. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason

Washing? You have to wash these?

I treat my bike like my wife treats her car!

Some teenage punk was on my ride today luckily I showed him up and got a few personal bests without my heart exploding.

I beat him with 13 lbs!!! Filled back up to 40 tonight.

Check out my ride on Strava.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1160505723

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Too funny :)

I prefer road biking among other reasons due to the less cleaning. My mountain bike I rinse off after every ride... a bit of a pain.

Growing up in Europe we rode our bikes to school every single day: rain, shine, or snow - they never cancelled school, and I honestly don't recall ever being driven to school... maybe that is why I am a fair weather rider, exclusively, today :) Kind of easy in SoCal ;)

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #684 Ingenere, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been using my Collage/Ferrari C35 for triathlon racing. The stiff CF frame, lightness and maneuverability make it brilliant.

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Finished the 102.8 miles Mammoth Gran Fondo today. All riding is at 6500' to 8200' with 7200 vertical feet. Completed the 102.8 miles in 5h 22min according to my Garmin - a bit faster than last time I did this particular event 4 years ago. It was so cold at the start, 37F according to forecast, that my fingers were numb for the first hour, and I literally had a hard time getting the shifting right :) I doubt it ever hit 70F - good for me - I am a cold temperature person - don't do well in heat.

Kaisake and Ricambi America like this.
  9. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#686 Ricambi America, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017

^ Sounds great! I just saw the elevation profile, and it looks like the third significant climb (mile 70?) was the one which likely cracked most riders. I assume that one is Benton Crossing Rd Climb? For sure, a 37dF start is cold; when you're unable to properly shift and worry about finger strength on the brakes, it's not a whole lot of fun. Still, I'm quite jealous of that ride! Pictures?

(I did about 60 miles yesterday in a chaotic bunch. Our 75% quartile speed was 26.2 mi/h (σ :5.8 ), so the bulk of the ride was pretty zippy. But way neater, for me, was riding alongside Ard Kessels of Kogel bearings.)

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    The KOM was the climb from around 63.5 miles to 68.8 miles, I think that is the one you referred to above. It gets steep towards the top, >10%, which I think surprises many, particular after having almost 70 miles at high pace in the legs. I will grab a few pictures when the event pictures come online. I am an outdoors person, and enjoyed the scenery. I am planning to do Levi's grand fondo in 3 weeks in Santa Rosa and the coastal mountains - never done that one before, so looking forward to some new impressions.

11. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Ooooo very cool!

Tell me about your Argon 18! I was looking at a Gallium Pro, but just couldn't pull the trigger.

13. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    It is a Gallium Pro, but older, 2012, from before their rise to fame, sponsoring Astana. I have put about 18000 miles on it, and it has been great. Replaced seat post once since it was cracking, but that is it - it has Dura Ace 7900 Di2 on it with SRM Dura Ace 9000 crank. I love it, and I am planning to build a 2018 Gallium Pro with Dura Ace 9150 Di2 when the frames become available in North America (mid September) and Shimano's own power meter Dura Ace 9100-P crank is readily available.

Ricambi America likes this.
  14. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    To be ready for Levi's Gran Fondo, Sep 30, I am riding about 200 miles a week at the moment with one of the rides being a longer mountain climbing ride (typically 65 miles with 7000') on either Saturday or Sunday - about 1h drive to San Gabriel Mountains or Mount Palomar. Then I ride to work multiple times a week (25 miles each way), and maybe fill in a longer flat'ish ride.

I have also started picking and ordering parts for new bike. It will be, roughly,
    - 2018 Argon 18 Gallium Pro frame
    - Rim brakes
    - Dura Ace 9150 Di2 groupset
    - Power meter - might try the new Dura Ace 9100-P when it comes out, not sure when SRM will have their version out
    - Garmin 1030 bike computer
    - Shimano Pro stem and handle bar
    - Debating wheels - would like ENVE SES 3.4 or 4.5, but $$$ - plan to stay with clinchers

15. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Jes -

Three thoughts....
    1. Just wait till you feel those Dura Ace brakes! I recently upgraded to 9100's on one bike, and they are freaking insane/awesome. Much. Love.
    2. Consider the Wahoo BOLT instead of a Garmin 1000 series. I ran the Garmins for a long time, and finally got fed up with battery life and flakey touchscreen. In a smaller footprint and cheaper pricepoint, the BOLT (IMHO) is a superior device. For sure, the navigation isn't as good as Garmin, but I found it was actually the least used part of a computer for me. I like the metrics, and the BOLT does a swell job in that regard.
    3. My Fulcum Racing Zero wheels are basically bomb proof aluminum clinchers. For the price, they can't be beat. I climb with HED Ardennes aluminum clinchers, and they're wonderful, but not quite as zippy on the flats.
    Finally.... you can't offer up this Argon 18 teaser without pictures. I'm already drooling with envy.

16. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Daniel,
    Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting, I haven'y had any issues with my old Edge 800 over all these years, though I haven't used the nav except for playing with it when it was new, so maybe that feature is a waste... :) Maybe their newer stuff isn't as robust. I have never had a really, really good set of wheels. Been riding Dura Ace c24 for the longest time, and they are ok, particular since I like mountains (find it more inspiring and exciting to ride than flats), but I figured I wanted to see if I could find an excellent all-round aero wheel with bias towards climbing - hence the ENVE SES 3.4, but the $$$. Sorry, don't have pictures yet :)

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Big morning for me! Took #2 overall on a local 3.5 mile segment with basically "all I'm able to offer"... 260w, 170bpm, 27mph average. Current KOM is held by a semi-pro who was motor-paced a few years ago when we had some UCI stuff in Winston-Salem. So, I don't really consider his times as something I can target.

When I think about people who ride at 4, 5, 6, or higher watts/kg, I realize just how special (and genetically gifted) those cyclists are. Bottom line? I'm wildly satisfied, but even more, quite humbled.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kaisake likes this.
  18. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Nice job! Congrats! That is awesome and very impressive.

19. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Very nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    To get ready for Levi's Gran Fondo next Saturday did another climbing ride this morning - 62 miles, 8000'. Averaged 250W on the first 8 mile climb and 220W on the second 14 mile climb.

Kaisake likes this.
  21. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Sounds awesome! On an 8-mile climb, I hope you had some switchbacks and sweet views to relax your mind occasionally. That's a long time to be fighting gravity.

22. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Yeah, plenty of incredible views, hairpins, etc. The second climb, the 14 miles climb, is more challenging - longer, steeper, and you have the first climb in your legs... The first climb takes about 45 min, and the second about 1h 30 min.

Ordered my new 2018 Gallium Pro frame set yesterday :) Opted for the gloss finish (which has some traditional red/white Argon 18 colors) instead of the mat all black finish.

23. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Ill be there at the Gran Fondo, which route are you doing? Our group hasn't decided yet..I just got back from Interbike Sun so I haven't been riding much..