308 and 308 gt4 dry sump kits? | FerrariChat

308 and 308 gt4 dry sump kits?

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnireland, Sep 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I remember when under high G forces in my 308 GTSi, I would see the oil pressure drop to zero, indicating "stop doing that or you'll blow the engine."

My understanding is that when these cars were originally being developed, they were supposed to have dry sump lubrication and longitudinal engine placement. Well that didn't last. And when they changed the engine direction to horizontal, and changed to a wet sump...the oil pick up location in the pan was is not centered but to the right of center, leading to oil starvation under high G forces right hand turns. After all these were cars for the road, not the track.

However I understand that the serious race versions of these cars all run with dry sump systems.

Are there conversion systems for this out there, and what have people experienced in terms of cost to make this change?

2. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
  3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I did go to the trouble of developing a 'dry sump' external pump quasi 'kit' for 2 recent engine builds that required it. It's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, as in ~10k USD. Why? some may wonder? well the engine builds in question were 4L, one using the 360 intake plenum and gearbox, so dry sump was a given. The other is fitted with ITB's and 6" long trumpets. In both cases the engines are NA and the goal of 500+ HP is going to take every advantage I could give it. A dry sump setup will pull a slight vacuum in the crank case and reduce oil 'cloud' resistance and air pumping losses esp at 10k rpm.

So for just about all the stock engines out there in 308/328 land the wet sump setup is just fine. Add the baffle and one shouldn't have an issue, sure the dry sump is way cool and there is positives for it, but the cost and modification is fairly extensive and expensive.

4. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You could add two quarts to an already hefty system, on Track Day...

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Truth!
    Thanks for the great post!

7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Over filling the crank case doesn't make sense to me. Sounds like baffles are the way to go. The Porsche 996 has the same cavitation problem at 1+ Gs. I'm always surprised when manufacturers let these issues skate by without addressing them.

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "sure the dry sump is way cool and there is positives for it, but the cost and modification is fairly extensive and expensive."

FWIW, it's also heavier and takes more power to operate. ;) Can't see any practical benefit on a street machine.

9. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I don't believe this is correct - the 308 evolved from the 246, and always had a transverse engine, it was never longitudinal and then changed to transverse. However, the initial 308 2 seater, the GTB, DID have a dry sump system from the factory, and it lasted 4 years. It was only included as standard on the European GTB from 76 through 79 or 80 - all GTS, and US GTB, had the wet sump setup. The Euro GTBs switched to wet sump also with the introduction of the fuel injection change, if I recall correctly.

10. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    There was one person on here that have added the Accusump to their setup. This system supplements oil delivery when the pump system drops below a certain pressure. I would only consider this if I are really tracking the car - after you have added the baffle. It would certainly be less expensive than a dry sump conversion.

11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Have a friend that had a 78 GTB wet sump which due to excessive cornering cost him a top end rebuild. This was years ago, was out on an airport taxiway just having fun.