Maseratis in the Chantily September 10 auction | FerrariChat

Maseratis in the Chantily September 10 auction

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Nembo1777, Sep 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

Three very interesting Maseratis are on offer in Sunday's auction at the prestigious Chantilly Arts et Elegance concours auction held by Bonhams this coming Sunday.

FYI Chantilly, 40kms north of Paris, now about to have its fourth edition, has imposed itself as the ultimate concours in the world (it won that award twice in 3 years from Octane magazine) with the finest cars flow in from the US and trucked in from all over Europe, even the Pebble Beach Concours organizers have stated they can't compete, of course Villa d'Este and Pebble are hosted in front of mere hotels whereas Chantilly is one of the most magnificent castles in the world.

A very nice European Bora long owned by a prominent head of the UK Maserati club:

Bonhams : Maserati Bora 4,7 litres coupé 1977

It comes with a very reasonable estimate which is still too rare nowadays, though more and more sellers are now smelling the coffee and actually being reasonable, the market has readjusted but is still strong, the speculators have left which is great news.

A stunning 3500 Vignale spyder, identical to one I sold privately from the UK to Europe in March and so I can confirm these are truly stunning colors. It is a very desirable early version, one of the last pre-series car with long hood/bonnet:

Bonhams : Maserati 3500 GT Spyder 1960

And without reserve an extremely nice, very low miles 4200GT spyder owned by prominent Maseratisti in Germany

Bonhams : Voiture du Salon de Francfort 2001,Maserati 4200 GT Spyder 2001

I will be there by the way, who is coming?

FYI I am not at all commissioned on any of these cars, just thought I would mention them to those not attending.

I will post photos of all interesting Masers at the concours next week.

Best regards,

Marc

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    How do you think the market will rate that Bora's condition?

Looks like it had a repaint some years ago and that the dash top was redone.
    Scruffy interior which wouldn't be that hard to improve IMMENSELY. I'm surprised that wasn't done.

Typical scruffy Bora engine compartment which is a lot harder to remedy. But it could still be detailed better with a redo of the valve covers, air cleaner and some other things.

Is this an indication that Bora owners don't think it's worth investing the money to fetch a better auction result or is this an anomaly?

Silver and red is a nice combination for a Bora.

3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    It is genuinely beyond me how a gentleman in his quoted position would put up his long-term ownership Bora up for auction at Chantilly of all places in such a scruffy condition.

It reminds of a what a Bora would look life if somebody completely uninterested in our hobby inherited this car and was trying to sell it five+ years after the Owner's passing.

Imagine finding a classic Ferrari being put up for sale in such condition, by a Ferrari Club person of similar stature after very long-term ownership.

If there are health or similar issues I am not privy to, consider my comments withdrawn.

Regards.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Bob, Boralogist,

Since as the text mentions the owner bought his first Maserati in 1970 that means he was born in 1950 or before which makes him 67 years old at least. When you have owned a car that long: 33 years (in this case since 1984 omitting the years when he had sold it) you don't necessarily see it ageing and as you know in Europe the focus is on running well not concours. That is a very very different standpoint from which to judge cars. I will see it when I arrive in Chantilly Friday and let you know what I think of the 3 cars in person. Note again that the reserve is quite reasonable which compensates for not perfect cosmetics.

I would definitely not extrapolate a pattern of any kind regarding this car, none whatsoever.

I don't like boring grey but I like the provenance.

Best regards,

Marc

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Marc. Insn't the real name of that 2001 car "Spyder Cambio Corsa"?? I thought Spyder Gt only was the manual cars...?

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ok Marc but hell is about to freeze over. I have to agree somewhat with Boralogist.

THAT alone should indicate an error in judgement has been made. Sorry but that interior is way beyond the patina stage. I'd have re dyed it and shampooed, the carpets cleaned at least and then the remaining suggested items in the engine compartment. No one would have been fooled into thinking it was restored or top notch car but they'll feel a lot better about buying the car. I've suggested this car to someone because it has had mechanical attention paid to it over the years if the story is accurate and making a huge improvement in appearance can be had for not much money. Under $100k US is what I'd do if I were a buyer. Provided they're weren't also serious mechanical issues.

OK so maybe hell hasn't frozen over enough to skate but still ... :D

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7 Nembo1777, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Hello,

Sorry you tell me, apologies if I misnamed my radar is way off modern cars (though I want a Granturismo S eventually:))
    I haven't paid attention to exact specs names etc for current or recent cars made in Modena, Maranello, Sant'Agata in several decades, totally focused on classics.

Best regards,

Marc

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8 Nembo1777, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Hi Bob,

I will ask if there is a reason, possibly health related, why the car was delivered to auction as it is but again I don't expect to be shocked by its appearance in 48 hours, even though the auction is during and in the middle of a major concours the car is not entered in the concours itself and I truly prefer a car in its juice as we say in French to a Pebble Beach perfect trailer queen that never gets driven.

It may come as a shock to you but detailers, those chaps who clean cars with toothbrushes and umpteen kinds of waxes just don't exist in Europe (or are extremely rare and focused on some events). I recall visiting one in Germany. That is it. Many would find that ridiculous plus the cars would get dirty again right away anyway during the next drive. I don't wash my current modern daily driver Alfa unless i am going on a nice weekend with my GF because I have a 400m dirt road up to the house and rain is common hence mud...could not care less. I will never detail an engine bay in my life that's for sure. And just because an engine bay is not shiny meaneth not the lump therein is not in good shape, running properly and tuned right.

Conversely the sheer number of road/touring rallies, some over several 1000kms is huge in Europe (look at the ads in Classic & Sportscar which is easy to find in major US cities) whereas in the US such events are rare.

So the focus is hugely different. Of course this does not mean every European behaves this way and every American that way just prevalent trends.

Anyway more info on the three cars as I get it and when I see them.

Best regards,

Marc

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Bob, Boralogist,

Update:

Was just informed by Bonhams that the owner is selling it because he has a bad back problem and obviously for an older man in such a condition getting in and out of a Bora is too difficult. He is keeping his front engined Masers though.

There is a very extensive history file, it is very well maintained.

You will be happy to know it will be "shampooed and pampered" like a Hollywood starlet before a scene in time for the weekend:)

Best regards,

Marc

10. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Interesting what peoples perceptions are of condition. It looks to me like an honest car that has had a long term owner. With no "tarting" up... Although this is all personal opinion - I for one like it in that condition.
    But this could be an age thing (age of driver / owner) as I would prefer it not looking like a new car, unless the work has to be completed to save the car...
    Will be interesting to see the auction results
    Cheers,
    Richard

11. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Actually a dam good wash would help, a nice bit of detailing and it would look a lot better...

12. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    +++1

It's not problem to bring a car in "mint condition - like new" it's only a question of money to spend.
    For me the real challange is to find a well maintained car in original condition (not rotton).

Only my point of view.
    Alfred

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I try as best I can to exhibit pride of ownership in any car I own but I do drive my cars and I'm not a perfectionist who requires a concours ready vehicle to drive it.

But let's be honest here. Whenever anyone seeks to buy a vehicle we always look for one in the best condition which includes good maintenance of a well operating car. I have had the experience to drive a few high end, restored cars that looked very, very nice but had at least one thing not right about the operation that diminished the experience so condition is far more than a beauty contest.

IMHO the owner of this car has let it slip perhaps because he/she can no longer operate it?
    Proper prep and and some cosmetic maintenance would have helped to achieve a much better result at auction. Most Bora's don't have a well prepare engine compartments and a lot of the reason for that is they weren't made that way in the first place. Perhaps because of the cover? So they age poorly. This one could look a lot better but I think a refresh of the interior would have brought the biggest bang for the buck and no I'm not talking about a completely new interior.

Anyway, I hope the car lands in the hands of someone who has more resources and enthusiasm to at least make it a nice driver again! I like to see them driven too. I put 40K + miles on mine!

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi from Paris Bob,

Put it this way, it is the contrary of one of those Monterey week concours trailer Queens which look great but are mechanically a mess.

I once, 20 years ago actually did an article history bio and test drive of a 100 point Pebble Beach 1950's Ferrari...the steering was sooo loose and vague I would have docked it ten points but then again I don't like judging and certainly will never judge there, So again the fact that this Bora is not all shiny pretty like a recurring Beverly Hills cosmetic surgery client should not make you miss the fact that it is very well maintained with a big file. I will see car and file later today.

Best regards,

Marc

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Put yet another way ... :D

Do you shower and dress up when you go out on a serious date?
    This one needs far more than a bath to be exhibiting a nice patina.
    The margin between nice patina and shabby is not all that wide and often very much in the eye of the beholder.
    So best foot forward!

And at an auction mechanical condition is always a gamble.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob,

Unless it is a room service date yes shower and shave:)

Having inspected it an hour ago and revieweed the maintenance file yes it is a matter of taste and I genuinely like to see an original interior, this may not be fashionable in Monterey on lawns but on an Italian road it would be just right. The only actual tear is a tiny one behind the passenger door's push down lock button. A funny clue about the couple who owned it is that the breathalyzer test kits (mandatory for a while in France where this car often driven) are in the passenger door pocket: "Before you drive dear, just one formality..." lol:)
    The repaint done some yeas ago is of very high quality. The engine bay was not repainted. The only corrosion I saw and it was only on the surface was on the inside of the trunk near the rear light insertion holes.

More photos in the next post.

Attached Files:

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Not used to this (poor) new format of Fchat so sorry if I posted an empty post just now, here some more photos.
    Rear bumper has 2 tiny bumps on the right side that did not break the chrome. Matching numbers, and what I like is the caution document, laminated, for mechanics/truckers who have to move the car, very well done and professional.

Have to run, best regards,

Marc

Attached Files:

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, I bet more than a few cars have gotten damaged that way. It's one failing of the system that's hard to dispute though with good accumulators "some" charge lasts for a while but you do have to get into the habit of neutral, parking brake set , start and then proceed.

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bob it seems your last post is in the wrong thread...or what did you have for breakfast;-)?

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ties into your warning sign photo. :)

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bora €82000, 4200GT spyder €27000 to a wonderful old couple, Vignale Spyder NS these are net prices before commissions.

Best regards,

Marc

24. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    Maserati Bora 4,7 litres coupé 1977
    Sold for €94,300 inc. premium

Maserati 4200 GT Spyder 2001
    Sold for €29,900 inc. premium