$3,750 process & handling | FerrariChat

$3,750 process & handling

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jjmalez, Aug 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
  2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    You get everything that used to be included in the price of the car. It's just another fee to help the dealer make more money. Here in WA the auto dealers lobbied long and hard and finally got a $150 documentation fee added to ever car sale. EVERY car sale. But what they don't tell you is it's not a mandatory fee, it's optional for the dealer to charge it but why wouldn't they since they are allowed.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You get exactly nearly four large less in your wallet.

4. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    It was listed as ADP.
    Which is additional dealer profit ;)

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    prep and handling fee for $4k sounds like they will throw a party for you when you come pick it up with Michael Jordan in attendance and free booze.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's basically the shipping cost from Italy. Last I knew, all cars have that broken out but it's usually around $500 :)

7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Typically I think this covers stuff like:
    - overseeing the car clearing US Customs.
    - lot storage pending transport pickup
    - shipping on the transport truck to the dealership
    - taking the protective plastic coverings off the inside and outside of the car
    - wash and wax
    - screwing the license brackets on (or throwing the front bracket into the front trunk).
    - walking the owner through the car's functions on day of delivery.

8. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I recall a fee on one of my Marines motorcycles he bought brand new. There was a $500 assembly fee We figured out all the did was uncrate the bike and install the windshield, like 4 screws.

Oh and that was well over a decade ago. So I made sure the kids bought bikes elsewhere that didn't rape them on stupid fees.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Shhhhh! Don't complain or next year it will be 10 grand!

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Strippers and blow, and a lot of it!

11. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I think it is bull. Your paying for the car and it's overhead for the dealership to get it ready for you to pick it up. It is their cost to do business and should come out of their profit on the car.

12. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Fantastic value and ROI?

13. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Here's the reality:

- Ferrari knows that someone who can afford a $250k car can afford a $300-350k car.
    - Advertising a car as $250k is a lot less psychologically intimidating than $350k.
    - Ferrari, in its corporate RACE incarnation, now wants to use every underhanded trick in the book to maximize their profits per unit sold. As such, they now claw back a percentage of dealer revenues and assess their dealers fines for selling a car with less than $35k in "optional" extras, prompting dealers to custom spec the hell out of cars in advance and sell them to wait-listed folk willing to accept the upcharge options.
    - These new models routinely command more than $100k over sticker when they're first released, as buyers are willing to shell out rather than custom order their own and wait two years.
    - Result: Buyers don't complain because they have no choice/don't care/may not even notice an extra line item that amounts to 1% of the purchase price.

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You get snubbed by the sales staff, questioned on any warranty claims, bent over for parts and service and generally offended. But for some reason we still love these cars!

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the guys are just trying to earn a living - everyones gotta eat

16. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Everyones gotta eat...White Pearl Albino Caviar, lobster, White truffles, Kopi Luwak Coffee, Swallows’ Nest Soup, Japanese Wagyu Steaks, Moose cheese, Dry-Cured Iberian Ham, Bluefin Tuna, and crunchy peanut butter

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    -repairing the shipping damage that they don't tell you about

18. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm only speculating here (It's been a while since I bought a new car), but is that charge broken out perhaps as it's exempt from sales tax?

19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    In Illinois, unless it's a tax already or a license fee, NOTHING is exempt from sales tax on the sale of a car.

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps best to ask the dealer, but I'd imagine you get delivery, process, prep & handling.

21. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Only the Doc Fee is taxable in Illinois.

22. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    1) Assume the position.
    2) Liberally apply KentuckY jelly.
    3) Drive off in your new Ferrari!
    May the horse (manure) be with you!

23. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    This isn't accurate. If it's listed directly on the sticker it goes to the manufacturer not the dealer. This is to ship the car from Italy and customs. All cars delivered in the United States are required to list the shipping cost on the Monroney sticker. It's also federally mandated that the shipping/destination fee for every car be identical in the lower 48. So every 2017 488 has the exact same shipping fee. These fees vary by model and manufacture and are deemed to be the average for shipping that model to all dealers across the country. So for example a 2017 Subaru Outback has a $995 destination and delivery charge at the dealer across the street from the Indiana factory and a $995 destination and delivery fee at a dealer in San Diego. This does exclude special shipping methods (I.e. Air Freight) This money doesn't go to the dealership. Now you are correct aboit the dealer documentation/processing fee. That does go to the dealership. Every State does have different laws regarding the Doc fee. In Washington it isn't a mandatory fee and is negotiable. They have a set price on the fee also. However, I sell in Idaho and there is no set fee and dealerships are free to charge whatever they want up to $299. The difference is in Idaho of a dealer charges a customer a $150 Doc fee they mustn't charge all customers the same fee. If they charge one customer a $150 Doc fee and the next $299 all subsequent deals must be charged $299. If an Idaho dealer doesn't charge a Doc fee on one deal or charges less to a customer then they had charged previously they are in violation of the law and must refund the Doc fee to every customer back to the previous deal with the lower Doc fee. If the don't collect a Doc fee at all on one deal and they had previously collected $299 from the last 1,000 cars sold they must refund $299,000. That's why you'll never get it waved in Idaho. I don't personally like the Doc fee because it can be a hassle but I also don't own a dealership. Anyway, I hope this helps.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    That $4000 fee is just an astronomically high documentation fee pretty much. Extra cash for the dealer at little to no effort. It's not the same as the "Destination Fee" you see on new cars, which is non-negotiable.

Since this GTB is a used car, the initial Destination Fee has already been paid for by the original owner. For you to be paying it again is just a sham. It's not like the car gets shipped back to Italy every time it's traded in.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    EXACTLY!